Bombed my freshman year do I still have a chance? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wheres_my_corndog

New

Bombed my freshman year do I still have a chance?

Post by wheres_my_corndog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Graduated High School in 2012 and went straight to community college. Honestly thinking back I had no business being there because I didn't give a damn about school I took 3 semesters of classes and Failed/Withdrew most of them My GPA was a 1.25. Fast forward to 2019 I went back and got an A in every class and obtained my A.A. I'm transferring to a university to finish my bachelors. My transferring GPA is a 3.57

From 2013 to 2020(present) I have been employed as a software developer. I realize that my mistakes from the 3 semesters of classes in 2013/2014 will forever haunt me, I re took most of the classes and turned my F/W into A's. I know LSAC takes all grades regardless if I re-attempted them but how screwed am I?

Assuming I can maintain a 4.0 for the remainder of my undergraduate LSAC will still calculate my GPA with those W/F back in 2013/2014, It'll probably average out to a 3.4/3.5..or worse.

URM/First Gen College Student/Strong WE

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: Bombed my freshman year do I still have a chance?

Post by dvlthndr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:59 am

wheres_my_corndog wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Graduated High School in 2012 and went straight to community college. Honestly thinking back I had no business being there because I didn't give a damn about school I took 3 semesters of classes and Failed/Withdrew most of them My GPA was a 1.25. Fast forward to 2019 I went back and got an A in every class and obtained my A.A. I'm transferring to a university to finish my bachelors. My transferring GPA is a 3.57

From 2013 to 2020(present) I have been employed as a software developer. I realize that my mistakes from the 3 semesters of classes in 2013/2014 will forever haunt me, I re took most of the classes and turned my F/W into A's. I know LSAC takes all grades regardless if I re-attempted them but how screwed am I?

Assuming I can maintain a 4.0 for the remainder of my undergraduate LSAC will still calculate my GPA with those W/F back in 2013/2014, It'll probably average out to a 3.4/3.5..or worse.

URM/First Gen College Student/Strong WE

Q: Can a URM/First Gen student with a 3.4 GPA still get into a top law school?
A: Yes, if you have a decent LSAT score.

For example, a random URM applicant with a 3.4/170 is likely to have multiple acceptances in the T14, and several generous scholarship offers. I have no idea if you can actually pull off a 3.4 and a 170, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. Don't think that a single year of bad grades has sunk you forever.

The best you can do at this point is just keep focused and do well in College. Even if you don't decide to go to law school, a solid GPA (along with your work experience etc.) will set you up for good things down the road.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”