Super Splitter Chances Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kvado

New

Super Splitter Chances

Post by Kvado » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:55 am

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I have been reading these forums a lot over the past few months and have gained a lot of great insight about the admissions process. With that being said, I would love to get some feedback pertaining to my current situation seeing as I at least now have an LSAT score to go by.

I am a 25 YO URM (Mexican Male) with a 2.7 Undergrad GPA and a 167 LSAT score (1st try). I know that is a terrible GPA and my odds for T14 are slim to none. However, I dream about going to law school and BigLaw is not end-all be all for me so I would not have a problem going to a school in the Top 100. Top candidates for me include (GWashington, George Mason, UMiami, Cardozo, UNC, Wake Forest). I live in NC currently + I have ties to DC and Miami so that is why they are top choices.

My situation is a bit unique to where I had maintained a 3.8 GPA for my first 3 semesters of college up until the point where I was involved in a really bad car accident that caused severe nerve damage to my left arm. The result from the accident was a massive amount of medical debt and many physical therapy sessions required to regain functionality of my arm. During the time of PT; I grew rather anxious and depressed so I inevitably failed a good bit of courses causing my GPA to dip significantly. I did manage to rally during my senior year and earned a 3.5 GPA during my last couple of semesters.

Hopefully, the rally can be a good starting point for a personal statement. In any case, I wanted to get some input on what my odds are for getting into my targets or some other decent top 100 schools. I was also wanting to see if anyone may have any insight on whether I would stand a chance at getting any decent scholarship $ with my current stats. I plan on going to law school in 2022; and I very well may retake the LSAT. Although, idk how much better I can do from a 167.

Getting scholarship money is crucial for me as I probably wouldn’t qualify for a Grad plus loan on the account of the medical debt that I’m close to completely paying off (adverse history). My credit isn’t bad so I can probably get a private loan but the rates are a bit high and I would prefer that to be a last resort. I was considering utilizing an Early Decision option to get into a school that offers a full scholarship for ED, like George Washington or George Mason. Would you all think this would be a good route? Or should I just submit normal apps and try my luck?

Anyways, I appreciate everything that you all contribute to these forums! And thank you in advance for any feedback. I’ve also listed below my work history, I am not too sure how extensively this will be looked at but hopefully it helps.

Work History:
Morgan Stanley Analyst 2018-2019
Wells Fargo Analyst 2019- Current
Intern for US House of Reps (Spring 2017 Semester)

Thanks,

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”