South Texas College of Law Fall 2020 Admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lrw008

New

South Texas College of Law Fall 2020 Admissions

Post by lrw008 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Just wondering if anyone else is still waiting an admissions decision from STCL for Fall 2020? My LSAT was delayed due to COVID and because of that my application was last minute.

cavalier1138

Re: South Texas College of Law Fall 2020 Admissions

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:01 am

What does "last minute" mean? And what are your stats?

You should not be attending a school like South Texas without a full ride, and it's highly unlikely they're still giving those out. If you took a post-February LSAT, your best bet is to use your score (or retake, depending on what your score is) and apply early this coming cycle.

lrw008

New

Post by lrw008 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am

I was only wondering if anyone else was still waiting to hear back.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am

lrw008 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am
Right. But unfortunately for you, knowing that information without knowing the answers to the other questions I asked won't be helpful for you. If you submitted in early March and haven't heard back, that's a very different scenario than someone who submitted an ultra-late summer application not hearing back yet. And depending on how late you submitted, your stats are going to have a significant impact on how quickly you hear back (i.e. the school isn't going to make space for someone with middling/low stats, so they might wait until they know there won't be last-minute withdrawals to reject you).

The rest of my post was just free advice to stop you from ruining your life; take it or leave it.

Wolfoflawstreet

New

Post by Wolfoflawstreet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am
lrw008 wrote:
Right. But unfortunately for you, knowing that information without knowing the answers to the other questions I asked won't be helpful for you. If you submitted in early March and haven't heard back, that's a very different scenario than someone who submitted an ultra-late summer application not hearing back yet. And depending on how late you submitted, your stats are going to have a significant impact on how quickly you hear back (i.e. the school isn't going to make space for someone with middling/low stats, so they might wait until they know there won't be last-minute withdrawals to reject you).

The rest of my post was just free advice to stop you from ruining your life; take it or leave it.
What trash advice. I am a STCLH graduate and I don't know a single person that has had their life ruined by graduating from STCLH. Quite the contrary, most everyone is doing great and is very thankful for STCLH. Your opinion reads like that of a person that has probably never visited Houston or have local knowledge of law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:59 am

Wolfoflawstreet wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:48 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
lrw008 wrote:

What trash advice. I am a STCLH graduate and I don't know a single person that has had their life ruined by graduating from STCLH. Quite the contrary, most everyone is doing great and is very thankful for STCLH. Your opinion reads like that of a person that has probably never visited Houston or have local knowledge of law schools.
Since the trend is for 50% of the class to not be employed as lawyers after graduation, it sounds like you don't know enough graduates to say "most everyone is doing great." You certainly don't know enough about everybody's debt situation.

But please, share your deep insights into why 50% bar-passage-required employment is actually a good thing in Houston.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:59 am
Wolfoflawstreet wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:48 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
lrw008 wrote:

Since the trend is for 50% of the class to not be employed as lawyers after graduation, it sounds like you don't know enough graduates to say "most everyone is doing great." You certainly don't know enough about everybody's debt situation.

But please, share your deep insights into why 50% bar-passage-required employment is actually a good thing in Houston.
Yea but a lot of law grads don’t want to be lawyers and make that decisions. That shouldn’t detract from the reputation your assessing

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:07 pm

Why do so many more grads from, say, STCL decide not to be lawyers, than from Columbia or Chicago or other top schools with much much higher employment rates? Why are employment rates not an important part of assessing a school when the entire point of a JD is for you to enter a specific profession, i.e. get a job as a lawyer?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:36 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:04 pm
Yea but a lot of law grads don’t want to be lawyers and make that decisions. That shouldn’t detract from the reputation your assessing
In addition to the questions nixy posed, can you explain what kind of jobs these law grads are seeking and why they need a JD to get them? Law school is an expensive and time-consuming affair. What return do you think these happy graduates are getting on their investment?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:07 pm
Why do so many more grads from, say, STCL decide not to be lawyers, than from Columbia or Chicago or other top schools with much much higher employment rates? Why are employment rates not an important part of assessing a school when the entire point of a JD is for you to enter a specific profession, i.e. get a job as a lawyer?
Maybe the Texas economy is stronger than the rust belt or NYC with covid and has more diverse job roles

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:36 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
In addition to the questions nixy posed, can you explain what kind of jobs these law grads are seeking and why they need a JD to get them? Law school is an expensive and time-consuming affair. What return do you think these happy graduates are getting on their investment?
Your the one making bold claims on school quality. Idk, maybe corporate life or further education or professor

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm
nixy wrote:
Maybe the Texas economy is stronger than the rust belt or NYC with covid and has more diverse job roles
Dude no. People go to law school to become lawyers. One important way of assessing the school is to see how many of its graduates become lawyers. There is no reason why STCL students would enter law school less interested in becoming lawyers than students at higher-ranked schools (which includes other schools in the diverse economy of Texas, like UT Austin, which has around 85% of their grads employed as lawyers).

ignorantfoot96

New

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:12 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
It's kind of shocking how someone can actually have this perspective. No offense, but I think 99% of people go to LAW school to practice LAW. The Texas economy's (what?) relative strength (not even sure that is accurate) does not have any impact on the reason that a very low ranked law school struggles to place its graduates in the profession they went to school to practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
Dude no. People go to law school to become lawyers. One important way of assessing the school is to see how many of its graduates become lawyers. There is no reason why STCL students would enter law school less interested in becoming lawyers than students at higher-ranked schools (which includes other schools in the diverse economy of Texas, like UT Austin, which has around 85% of their grads employed as lawyers).
Nice UT shilling you go there?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:00 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
Your the one making bold claims on school quality. Idk, maybe corporate life or further education or professor
Not sure what "corporate life" means, but I do know you don't need a JD to work for a corporation.

Same for "further education." The JD is a professional degree that costs a lot of money. If you just want to learn about the law, get a book.

Now, people do in fact go to law school to become professors: professors at law schools. No one from STCL is entering that field. And almost no one is able to go straight from law school to academia anymore, so you still need to plan on practicing (or at least clerking) while you roll the dice on a tenure-track position.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:19 pm

ignorantfoot96 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:12 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nixy wrote:
It's kind of shocking how someone can actually have this perspective. No offense, but I think 99% of people go to LAW school to practice LAW. The Texas economy's (what?) relative strength (not even sure that is accurate) does not have any impact on the reason that a very low ranked law school struggles to place its graduates in the profession they went to school to practice.
Define low ranked. Geez you posters have some tough standards lol

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
Not sure what "corporate life" means, but I do know you don't need a JD to work for a corporation.

Same for "further education." The JD is a professional degree that costs a lot of money. If you just want to learn about the law, get a book.

Now, people do in fact go to law school to become professors: professors at law schools. No one from STCL is entering that field. And almost no one is able to go straight from law school to academia anymore, so you still need to plan on practicing (or at least clerking) while you roll the dice on a tenure-track position.
You don’t need the jd, it def helps though and you may not get the corporate job without it

No one from a school become a professor? Pretty sweeping claim. Would hate for another poster here to prove you wrong with an example

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:19 pm
It's as low as you can get in the USNWR rankings without not being ranked at all. Not sure how that's a "tough standard" for what constitutes a low-ranked school.
tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:20 pm
You don’t need the jd, it def helps though and you may not get the corporate job without it
Name a specific corporate job (not in-house counsel) that you could not get without a JD.
tomtownsend wrote:
No one from a school become a professor? Pretty sweeping claim. Would hate for another poster here to prove you wrong with an example
I'd be eager to see it. There are always exceptions, but it's extremely rare for a T4 grad to become a law professor.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
It's as low as you can get in the USNWR rankings without not being ranked at all. Not sure how that's a "tough standard" for what constitutes a low-ranked school.
tomtownsend wrote:
Name a specific corporate job (not in-house counsel) that you could not get without a JD.
tomtownsend wrote:
I'd be eager to see it. There are always exceptions, but it's extremely rare for a T4 grad to become a law professor.
Lol how many are unranked? Clearly this isn’t bottom of barrel like your making it to be and we have ALUMS here countering all your points with details

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:33 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:

Understand that the posters above aren't trying to single out your school. Posters have counseled against low-ranked schools (generally under 100ish on the USNWR) for over a decade in this and other law school forums.

Obviously there are SOME professors who went to STCL, but legal academia is incredibly difficult to get even with the most sterling of credentials. Most who managed graduated in a very different era. It's not a fallback option for those who aren't able/interested in practicing law.

To use a sports analogy: going to STCL in hopes of becoming a tenured law professor a bit like going to a D3 college football team in hopes of playing in the NFL. Obviously, people have done it, but it's not exactly a realistic "Plan A." Adjunct professorships are obviously much more common, but that's essentially a volunteer gig.

I practice in Houston and have had the pleasure of working with many fine attorneys who went to STCL- many of whom have had considerable career success. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't counsel a prospective STCL student to think long and hard before accepting an offer of admission there. For better or for worse, the world of law among large institutions employing lawyers is quite snobby in terms of school choice. You can of course go the small firm, solo, or local government route, but that's going to be a rather daunting endeavor under the weight of six figures of debt you will incur going to STCL at anywhere close to sticker.

Nearly half of STCL graduates are unable to gain full time employment in law immediately following graduation. Some may be finding non-legal careers, but a substantial fraction are not employed at all. That's not a knock on current students or graduates. It's just a statement of the odds that should be considered by prospective students.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/southtexas

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 pm

nealric wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:33 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:

Understand that the posters above aren't trying to single out your school. Posters have counseled against low-ranked schools (generally under 100ish on the USNWR) for over a decade in this and other law school forums.

Obviously there are SOME professors who went to STCL, but legal academia is incredibly difficult to get even with the most sterling of credentials. Most who managed graduated in a very different era. It's not a fallback option for those who aren't able/interested in practicing law.

To use a sports analogy: going to STCL in hopes of becoming a tenured law professor a bit like going to a D3 college football team in hopes of playing in the NFL. Obviously, people have done it, but it's not exactly a realistic "Plan A." Adjunct professorships are obviously much more common, but that's essentially a volunteer gig.

I practice in Houston and have had the pleasure of working with many fine attorneys who went to STCL- many of whom have had considerable career success. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't counsel a prospective STCL student to think long and hard before accepting an offer of admission there. For better or for worse, the world of law among large institutions employing lawyers is quite snobby in terms of school choice. You can of course go the small firm, solo, or local government route, but that's going to be a rather daunting endeavor under the weight of six figures of debt you will incur going to STCL at anywhere close to sticker.
Lol chill dude it not my school. I’m only helping someone getting attacked like I did w my thread. I hope he doesn’t get needlessly influenced by online strangers

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 pm
nealric wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:

Lol chill dude it not my school. I’m only helping someone getting attacked like I did w my thread. I hope he doesn’t get needlessly influenced by online strangers
I'm not attacking anybody, nor are any of the other posters who have responded to this thread. The purpose of this forum for prospective law students, law students, and lawyers to share information. OP may not have received the information they asked for or wanted, but it is information that OP should have before making a big life decision.

tomtownsend

New

Post by tomtownsend » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:42 pm

nealric wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nealric wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I'm not attacking anybody, nor are any of the other posters who have responded to this thread. The purpose of this forum for prospective law students, law students, and lawyers to share information. OP may not have received the information they asked for or wanted, but it is information that OP should have before making a big life decision.
Yep and I think its crazed what people are saying. Lol congratulate him for getting in its only polite

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:45 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:42 pm
nealric wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
nealric wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:

Yep and I think its crazed what people are saying. Lol congratulate him for getting in its only polite
If you disagree with the points being made in this thread, you are free to debate on the merits.

As far as I can tell, OP is still awaiting an admissions decision.I know they are looking for information as to whether others have heard back, but it's been explained that the nature of rolling admissions is such that knowing whether others have heard back is unlikely to be helpful information.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:25 pm

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:32 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm
tomtownsend wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
tomtownsend wrote:
Lol how many are unranked? Clearly this isn’t bottom of barrel like your making it to be and we have ALUMS here countering all your points with details
So you're saying STCL doesn't qualify as low-ranked because it only falls between 140-196, and not entirely off the rankings scale? Solid point.

And "I know a guy who's happy with his job" doesn't counter the hard numbers STCL is required to make public. There are successful alums from every law school in the country; that doesn't mean every law school guarantees success.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”