South Texas College of Law Fall 2020 Admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reidgee

New

Re: South Texas College of Law Fall 2020 Admissions

Post by reidgee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:41 pm

I love how the people berating this kid think that their opinion actually matters. At the end of the day, these "moderators" are some of the most toxic people on the planet who have no idea about your situation. I went to STCL and just got a big law offer in a major market. Do what you think is best and sure as hell don't listen to anyone that watches futurama.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Advice needs to be appropriate for a specific market.

NYC biglaw expectations / requirements are not the same as most other markets.

Each law school needs to be assessed in terms of target market & in terms of cost. For many, attending a non-top tier law school on a full tuition scholarship or with a "near full tuition" scholarship can make sense if located in one's desired region & if one has realistic career goals.

reidgee

New

Post by reidgee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:52 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am
lrw008 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am
I was only wondering if anyone else was still waiting to hear back.
Right. But unfortunately for you, knowing that information without knowing the answers to the other questions I asked won't be helpful for you. If you submitted in early March and haven't heard back, that's a very different scenario than someone who submitted an ultra-late summer application not hearing back yet. And depending on how late you submitted, your stats are going to have a significant impact on how quickly you hear back (i.e. the school isn't going to make space for someone with middling/low stats, so they might wait until they know there won't be last-minute withdrawals to reject you).

The rest of my post was just free advice to stop you from ruining your life; take it or leave it.
You have huge "let me speak to the manager" energy. Stop hiding your massive insecurities by belittling 0L's with unsolicited advice.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:02 pm

reidgee wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:41 pm
I love how the people berating this kid think that their opinion actually matters. At the end of the day, these "moderators" are some of the most toxic people on the planet who have no idea about your situation. I went to STCL and just got a big law offer in a major market. Do what you think is best and sure as hell don't listen to anyone that watches futurama.
I went to Vegas and won $3 million playing the slots. Clearly, no one should advise that playing the slots at Vegas may not be the most reliable way to get that money.

How many of your classmates had similar biglaw offers? How many even had the opportunity to interview for similar firms? And why do you have such bad taste when it comes to animated comedies?
reidgee wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:52 pm
You have huge "let me speak to the manager" energy. Stop hiding your massive insecurities by belittling 0L's with unsolicited advice.
I don't know why you think I've hidden my insecurities.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:05 pm

JamezPhoenix wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm
And yes, I am absolutely telling these people that they fucked up. It happens. People go to college, all forms of college, all the time based on peer pressure, bad advice and simply trying to find one's self. People are stubborn, they get in law school without a clue of what law school is or what the legal market is really like. They get median and below in their classes, but they still don't have a clue so they keep going thinking that they can magically bring up their grade. They self-select the information they want to hear about "I know a guy who failed in 1L and then Aced 2 and 3 and is now working at the top law firm in Chicago making 200k a year!" Then 2L comes around, they do poorly again, but at this point the finish line is closer than just dropping out so they go ahead, slog through it, realize they hated the whole experience and go on to do something else. Maybe they get their first taste of working in a law firm in their 2L summer and think, "THIS IS AWFUL!" These people made a mistake, they realized they made a mistake and therefore they are not practicing lawyers.
I don't think you're actually disagreeing with anyone here. The point is that those people should not go to law school in the first place. And that includes people going to law school for careers in politics.
JamezPhoenix wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm
I definitely do not believe that 100% of everyone who is scoring 150 and below is really devoting months to research the LSAT, research Law schools and research the legal profession.
Why do you believe that 100% of people who score above that line are devoting that time and energy to those things?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:05 am

reidgee wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:41 pm
I think the kid is long gone given that the thread is about 2020 Admissions. The thread has become more of a debate about the merits of attending a school in this ranking band generally.

But please keep in mind that nobody here is belittling STCL graduates or students. Nor did anybody say that nobody has a successful outcome having gone to STCL (in fact I said quite the opposite). The only question is whether it's a good decision for a 0L to make- ex ante. There are some people for whom it is, but there is also good reason why people advise thinking twice.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 am

tomtownsend wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:00 pm

Define success and dont say big law. Harvard doesn’t gurantee success either. Not everyone needs to take your oath
I would define success as any outcome other than having tens of thousands of dollars in debt and no extra income with which to service those loans.

obamalaw

New

Post by obamalaw » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:30 pm

I'm going to stir the pot some more:

Just remember, Michael Cohen went to Cooley (usually ranked as one of, if not the worst, law school) and became Donald Trump's attorney. Granted, it was shady as hell but he became "successful."

What happened to the OP? Are you at STCL? Any internships yet?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:58 pm

He’s come up here before. No one is impressed by him as an example of “success.”

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

obamalaw

New

Post by obamalaw » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 pm

nixy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:58 pm
He’s come up here before. No one is impressed by him as an example of “success.”
I was being semi-sarcastic.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:51 pm

Sorry! I think someone proposed him seriously once and I’ve been scarred ever since! :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”