Retake or move forward with application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mysonx3

New

Retake or move forward with application?

Post by mysonx3 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:48 am

This is a major "good problem to have" situation, and I hope it doesn't come off as a humble brag, because I'm really hoping for input and advice:

I just got my May LSAT-Flex score: I scored a 176. On most of my practice tests (and almost all of the recent ones), I've scored in the 177-180 range. I think I wasn't quite as well-suited for the LSAT-Flex as for the regular LSAT, since I'm much stronger at LR than RC (not that I'm complaining - I'm thrilled to have been able to put up a 176).

The argument in my mind for retaking:
- It can't hurt
- I've been scoring higher (even if only slightly), so there's a solid chance I'll be able to improve by a point or two, especially if I can take a regular LSAT instead of the Flex
- Higher LSAT = better admissions results

The argument against retaking:
- I've already scored high enough that another point isn't going to alter my chances. According to the data I looked at, 176 is already above every 75th percentile from the last five years except for Yale's 2015 and 2018 numbers, where 176 was the 75th percentile LSAT.
- Taking and prepping for the LSAT is stressful, and not worth doing if the reason is neurotic perfectionism and not a real improvement in likely outcomes or in likelihood of achieving certain outcomes
- The time would be better spent polishing the rest of my application and making sure I can submit early in order to have the highest number of seats/$ available when I apply

So far, I'm definitely leaning towards not retaking. I told myself before the test and before receiving my score that anything 177+ would be a no-brainer, and that I'd think about anything 176 or below. But looking at the 509 and the myLSN data (which, ironically, shows that a 176 would actually be *better* for most of the tippity-top schools, but I'm sure that's anomalous), I'm thinking that the difference between 176 and 177 (or 176 and 179, for that matter) is going to be negligible - especially since my GPA will also be above the 75th percentile.

Background:
- Undergrad in History & Psychology (double-major) from no-name undergrad (started out at CC)
- 4.0 GPA (but a lot of CLEP credits, so that doesn't cover as many classes as it would if I hadn't done those - not sure if that matters)
- Not K-JD, but won't have a ton of work experience or a terribly impressive resume, as I'm still pretty young
- Non-URM

Thoughts? I'm particularly interested to hear how you think the decision whether or not to retake will impact my chances at YHS (especially Y/S), or for the cream of the crop scholarships (i.e. Ruby/Hamilton/etc.)

Thanks in advance

nixy

Gold

Re: Retake or move forward with application?

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:05 am

I really don’t think retaking is worth it, although people better acquainted with actually getting into those schools should weigh in.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am

I agree that a retake is going to be pointless for the reasons you've identified. After you break into the mid-170s, there are diminishing returns for retakes, since you've already surpassed every school's 75th.

You are practically guaranteed Harvard admission, and you have as good a chance at Y/S as anyone (they tend to put more weight on softs once you have the numbers). And I think you're in an excellent position to get one of the full scholarships from CCN.

lawdog97

New

Post by lawdog97 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:57 am

If you retake, you could completely bomb it, too.

Also, even if you do not get into HYS, you have an amazing shot at getting a full ride to a smaller school.
Either way, with your current score you are guaranteed admissions and a great scholarship.

Do not stress yourself for no reason. The world right now is stressful enough.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 am

Don't retake. You have very little control of performance over 175, and you're more likely to lower your score than raise it (which for most schools wouldn't make a difference, but certain schools care about every score).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:25 pm

I don't think it is worth a retake. Even if you are sure you are very likely to score higher under normal circumstances, you cannot predict what will happen on test day with 100% confidence. Maybe you'll get a migraine headache halfway through the test, maybe there will be noisy construction outside your test center, etc. Your upside of a retake is very small, your potential downside is larger. 176 is a great score. Spend your time making your applications flawless, instead of studying for a retake. Then just sit back and enjoy the amazing admissions cycle you are almost certainly going to have.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:45 am

Echoing everyone else — don’t retake. Even if you could guarantee the outcome you expect, the extra point or two isn’t going to make a difference. You’ve cracked the 75th, and paired with your GPA you’re in an ideal position. Congratulations on your numbers.

mysonx3

New

Post by mysonx3 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:31 pm

Thank you all for the input, and for the kind words. At this point, I'd say I'm about 95% certain I will not be retaking, but I'm going to set myself a deadline of about a week from now to make a final decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”