HLS is virtual this fall; you should defer Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Libya

New

HLS is virtual this fall; you should defer

Post by Libya » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:11 pm

HLS just announced it will be virtual this fall. If your schools goes virtual and you are a 0L I’d defer if it is feasible, unless there is a SERIOUS tuition reduction. Fall 1L online, with grades, could easily become a shit show. Just my 2 cents as a law student.

Throwaway5818

New

Re: HLS is virtual this fall; you should defer

Post by Throwaway5818 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:40 pm

I didn't learn shit from my virtual classes, it's just not a conducive forum to learning the law. Can't believe Harvard would do this.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:59 pm

LOTS of schools are going to be virtual this fall, even if they haven't admitted it yet. Harvard's doing it because they feel they have to, because they can't guarantee the safety of students or faculty or staff.

That said, I totally get not wanting to attend virtual classes. I'm only saying that "can't believe Harvard would do this" seems to entirely ignore the reality of the pandemic.

mudiverse

Bronze

Post by mudiverse » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 pm

HLS may be virtual but deferring (if that is even permitted) implies that you have an alternative opportunity that you can pursue in the gap year. If that's the case I would support deferring, but if you are sitting on your hands for a year you may as well attend online classes at HLS.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:33 pm

Definitely would not pay 60k to get on zoom lessons.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:20 am

mudiverse wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 pm
HLS may be virtual but deferring (if that is even permitted) implies that you have an alternative opportunity that you can pursue in the gap year. If that's the case I would support deferring, but if you are sitting on your hands for a year you may as well attend online classes at HLS.
I agree with this. If you have a job already or can get one, or some kind of meaningful volunteer experience or such, great. If you don’t, no reason not to attend virtual classes. Law school’s graded on a curve. And you’re still going to end up with a Harvard degree, which is what you’re paying the $60k for.

msf305

New

Post by msf305 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:10 am

Yugihoe wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:33 pm
Definitely would not pay 60k to get on zoom lessons.
Defer defer defer

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:29 am

mudiverse wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 pm
I disagree. Zoom classes were absolutely terrible last semester. I barely learned anything after we switched over. If I was a 1L, I would definitely not want to start law school online. The first semester is too important.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Switching to zoom classes in the middle of a semester isn’t really representative of online classes - professors who’ve never taught online before having to convert a class not designed to be taught online within like 2 weeks’ time and then teach to students whose circumstances all vary and from their own home often with a working spouse and/or kids at home is a recipe for disaster.

That said, some of those circumstances aren’t going to go away by the fall, but because schools/profs have had the opportunity to plan, the classes should at least be better in the fall. How much better, I can’t say, of course.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rk42

New

Post by rk42 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Just a note on deferrals, Harvard is saying that if they get too many requests, you might need to defer for 2 years instead of 1.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:47 am

This is dumb advice. Don’t defer. The time value of money is significant. This is just reality right now; make the best of it. You’ll still get a killer education—you just might need to do a bit of extra reading on the side.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:49 am

nixy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:01 pm
Switching to zoom classes in the middle of a semester isn’t really representative of online classes - professors who’ve never taught online before having to convert a class not designed to be taught online within like 2 weeks’ time and then teach to students whose circumstances all vary and from their own home often with a working spouse and/or kids at home is a recipe for disaster.

That said, some of those circumstances aren’t going to go away by the fall, but because schools/profs have had the opportunity to plan, the classes should at least be better in the fall. How much better, I can’t say, of course.
+1. I didn't learn anything last semester, but I think that was mostly due to the lack of grade pressure and having to establish a new study rhythm on the fly when my kid's daycare shut down.

I did a master's program completely online a few years ago and it was fine. Most people in law school aren't in study groups and don't routinely go to office hours, so there won't be much of a difference to the average student. You're on a curve, so everyone will be at the same disadvantage.

If you can stay with family and set up a private study area, you're going to save a ton on rent compared to Boston, NYC, SF. If you can't, get a short term lease in a low-COL area.

logan3000

New

Post by logan3000 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:34 am

also will add that I’d actually prefer a blanket “online only” than some sort of hybrid setup.

granted, I have a comfortable home life at my parents’ so I can value saving the $10k or so on rent, plus will have had a good 5 months practice of WFH by the time of matriculation. so, I can definitely understand that it won’t work for everyone and of course it’s not ideal for me, but there are for sure some silver linings for me (esp if it means I get off the HLS WL when in other years I may not).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:22 pm

The Zoom thing doesn't really matter. I'd defer for job market -- OCI in 2021 could be brutal. Better to be another year out of pandemic

law5man1

New

Post by law5man1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:13 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. I went to HLS about a decade ago. One of the best parts of my experience was getting to know my classmates and spending time and hanging out with them. I am still in touch with many of my law school friends, and they have been vital to me throughout my career. One should not underestimate the connections you can make at a school like HLS. Personally, I don't think it is possible to get to know one's classmates over zoom as well as one could in person, so I echo those suggesting deferring law school one year if that is possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”