Why isn't BC Law ranked higher? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
haberr

New

Why isn't BC Law ranked higher?

Post by haberr » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi all! Can someone please tell me why BC Law consistent ranks in the high 20s and low 30s and not any better? Their employment statistics and BL placement seem to punch above those numbers, so I'm just trying to figure out why that isn't reflected in USNWR. Thank you!

cavalier1138

Re: Why isn't BC Law ranked higher?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:00 am

It's likely because of their LSAT scores and some of the other intangibles that affect USNWR rankings.

More broadly, it's because the USNWR rankings aren't very useful for anything except sorting schools into increasingly wide bands as you go down the list. Outside of the T13, schools are regional. So BC's ranking relative to Fordham is unimportant, because they feed two different markets.

Also, bear in mind that BC (along with other schools in its bracket) is likely to see a massive drop in its biglaw placement in the next few years. The schools in the 20s/30s have had very attractive biglaw numbers during a pretty good hiring market, but those are the schools big firms will cut off in the current economy (i.e. when they cut summer associate classes, no one's going to hold on to a slot for a BC/BU student over a T13 student). So when you see that they "punch above their weight," that won't last.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”