Advice: FSU 100% v. UF $ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BuddyMilo

New

Advice: FSU 100% v. UF $

Post by BuddyMilo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:29 pm

Keeping it short but looking for advice if planning to practice in Florida. I was accepted to UF with a scholarship of $19,500 split 3 years (leaves yearly COA approx. $34,700). FSU offered 100% tuition scholarship (leaves yearly COA approx. $18,400). I hear different things regarding UF being better for employment but is it worth a $48,900 difference in debt at the end of 3 years of law school?

**I did email UF regarding an increase in scholarship TBD
** I was accepted to other schools such as UNC and Emory (along with waitlist at Cornell and Georgetown) but decided to stay in-state.

Thanks!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Advice: FSU 100% v. UF $

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:18 am

See what UF comes back with. I think it's currently a close call, because UF does place better with biglaw and clerkships, but the difference isn't huge. You'll still need to be top quarter (maybe top third with ties) for large firms in Jacksonville and probably higher for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Tampa. No idea on the relative placement of FSU in Jacksonville and Tampa, but it is weaker in South Florida. What are your career goals?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am

BuddyMilo wrote:Keeping it short but looking for advice if planning to practice in Florida. I was accepted to UF with a scholarship of $19,500 split 3 years (leaves yearly COA approx. $34,700). FSU offered 100% tuition scholarship (leaves yearly COA approx. $18,400). I hear different things regarding UF being better for employment but is it worth a $48,900 difference in debt at the end of 3 years of law school?

**I did email UF regarding an increase in scholarship TBD
** I was accepted to other schools such as UNC and Emory (along with waitlist at Cornell and Georgetown) but decided to stay in-state.

Thanks!
What are you trying to do? If UF doesn't increase its offer (negotiate with them), I'd lean towards FSU.

Libya

New

Post by Libya » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Your most likely outcome from either is a small firm or state/local government; so I'd probably pick FSU

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”