Undergraduate Transfer -- Semester to Quarter Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaHead2Head514

New

Undergraduate Transfer -- Semester to Quarter

Post by DaHead2Head514 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:43 am

I transferred from a semester system undergrad to a quarter system undergrad. At my semester system undergrad, each class was worth either 1-, 3-, or 4-semester hours, as opposed to the standard 1 credit across the board. As a result, I'm having trouble figuring out how I would convert my LSAC GPA.

I'm familiar that LSAC converts each quarter credit to .67 semester credits. But since my semester school's credits aren't a perfect 1 credit per class, I'm not sure what the exact calculation would be.

Is each class—regardless of semester hours—worth one credit?

cavalier1138

Re: Undergraduate Transfer -- Semester to Quarter

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:17 am

I'm confused about your description of the "normal" semester-system credit system. Most semester-long classes are 3-4 credits. Your grade for a class is worth the numerical value for the grade times the number of class credits. So if you got a B in a 3 credit class, that's 9 points (3.0 x 3). You then add all that up and divide by the total number of credits you took for grades. The only difference with your new school is that you count each credit as 2/3 of a credit at your old school.

The real answer, though, is to stop trying to calculate your LSAC GPA in undergrad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”