Awards in High School on Resume? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nalls96

New

Awards in High School on Resume?

Post by nalls96 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:09 pm

So I know the typical rule of thumb is you should not put accomplishments in high school on your college resume; however, my situation is a little out of the ordinary. I started going to college when I was 14 at night and during the summer because my family did not have a lot of money. Because I was so young, the college only charged me $10.00 per credit and I knew it would be the only way I could afford college. Because I started college so young, I achieved a few accomplishments while I was both a college student and a high school student. Some accomplishments I think should be left off even though I was in college at the same time. (For example being first team all conference for Varsity Softball, MVP for Varsity Softball, Champion for Debate Conference Tournament, etc. because they were for the high school softball varsity team and the high school debate team)

However, I have a few accomplishments that are gray areas. For example, the Virginia College Scholars Award which was awarded to me by the state governor because I obtained so many college credits and maintained a 3.5 gpa in high school and 4.0 in college by the time I graduated. I am pretty sure that should be listed, right? Additionally, I got 2nd place in the State of Virginia for Bike Racing (it was not a club in school). I also had several travel softball awards which were not affiliated with high school (I was in college softball for a year but had to eventually quit because I was working 40 hours a week to pay for school and it was conflicting with my responsibilities at work).

I know you can add really stellar achievements in high school, but being 2nd place in the state of Virginia for Bike Racing is hardly stellar. Maybe if I won Tour De France and was given credit for curing Lance Armstrong's cancer, I could put a line on my resume. But at the same time, it was something I accomplished while being a college student and it was something unaffiliated with my high school.

What do you guys think? Thank you so much!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: Awards in High School on Resume?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:31 pm

I mean it doesn't *hurt*, it's just not something an admissions officer is going to care much about?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 pm

No.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:15 pm

I would not list any high school-related awards or accomplishments. College-related awards/accomplishments are fine to list and you should list a few significant ones, but I wouldn't expect the ones you mention to move the needle much for law school admissions purposes.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:16 am

How old are you now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nalls96

New

Post by nalls96 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Dcc617 wrote:How old are you now?
I'm 22, but I probably will not be applying until I'm 25. (I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps)

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 pm

nalls96 wrote:
I'm 22, but I probably will not be applying until I'm 25. (I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps)
If you wait until 25 and join the Peace Corps or something like that, it will be way more valuable/interesting than anything you did in high school or even college. Just list major accomplishments from college.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:33 am

nalls96 wrote:
Then definitely don't list high school stuff. It'd be one thing if you were like 19, but it'd be weird. Plus, taking up valuable application space for high school stuff crowds out adult accomplishments.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 pm

If you really need them to fill space then it won't hurt. But by 25, with peace corps, you just write in cover letter that you started college at 14 and hope someone gets sufficiently impressed and you got the LSAT to back up your GPA.

Peace Corps, 4.0 GPA, and 173 (LSAT median at Yale) makes you as close to shoo-in as anyone can be for YLS. With 4.0 GPA and Peace Corps, you have a chance even with 170.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:33 pm

I would only list awards from that time frame that were truly extraordinary (i.e. Olympic gold medalist, national science fair winner, etc.) I sincerely doubt anybody in admissions cares about High School varsity softball.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”