Office job vs fast food management + my softs generally Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bonzeye

New

Office job vs fast food management + my softs generally

Post by Bonzeye » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 pm

I am moving up in a fast food/retail environment and have been offered a leadership position (shift leader, possibly assistant general manager) at this job after I graduate. It seems that most people get an office job after graduation (this being the typical "work experience" people have on their resume). I am hesitant to take this opportunity because I worry that this position would not be prestigious enough for law schools.

More generally my softs are: Honors designation + honors thesis, plenty of minimum wage work, typical local internships, a little volunteer grant writing, and helping out in a writing center. Are these softs good enough to compensate for my less typical gap years(s) if I took this offer?

nixy

Gold

Re: Office job vs fast food management + my softs generally

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:09 pm

What would your alternative be?

I wouldn’t care and I’m sure law schools wouldn’t care. Depending what kind of job you’re looking for when you graduate, it might make a difference - some employers are snobs. But it would depend what the alternative would be. It might look better.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 pm

If you like it and the pay is decent just do the fast food thing. There’s almost no difference (from a law school admissions perspective) between that and an entry-level office job

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am

I've had partners say they love fast food jobs. I talked about mine for most of the screener at the firm I eventually accepted an offer to (NYC V20). It's a service job strangely more similar to law than a lot of office jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”