weak soft? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigmarmot

New

weak soft?

Post by bigmarmot » Fri May 10, 2019 12:59 am

I'm graduating from college this month. Final UGPA is 3.90. Took LSAT this January and received a 166. In at Georgetown but decide to retake and reapply in the upcoming circle.
I consider my soft weak. I only have a bunch of TAs, RAs (research assistant), and I taught at tutoring schools. I will be working as a library clerk after graduation. So overall, very mediocre experience.
I would like to know how much does my bad soft hurt my chance? Thank you in advance!

cavalier1138

Re: weak soft?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 am

Your softs aren't great, but a higher LSAT is going to make a world of difference, especially if you can break 170.

albanach

Gold

Re: weak soft?

Post by albanach » Fri May 10, 2019 10:13 am

bigmarmot wrote:I'm graduating from college this month. Final UGPA is 3.90. Took LSAT this January and received a 166. In at Georgetown but decide to retake and reapply in the upcoming circle.
I consider my soft weak. I only have a bunch of TAs, RAs (research assistant), and I taught at tutoring schools. I will be working as a library clerk after graduation. So overall, very mediocre experience.
I would like to know how much does my bad soft hurt my chance? Thank you in advance!
Echoing Cav - your softs simply don't matter. As has been said here, a good soft is curing cancer, a nobel, competing at the Olympics. There will be some T-14 students who have done this sort of thing, but their numbers are tiny. Schools will make exceptions to admit them because of the perceived value-add.

Then there are lesser softs, like military service (at some schools), starting your own company, or substantive work experience. Here the school isn't going to admit someone they otherwise wouldn't, but they might tip the scale in favor of that person.

Finally there are weak softs. A year working on The Hill. A couple of years work experience elsewhere. Just about anything you might do in school. All this stuff has only a marginal effect on admissions. Someone who is K-JD with the same numbers and no substantive experience doing anything is likely to have a very similar cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”