What are ways to get admitted into Harvard without taking a year or two off post grad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dcc617

Gold

Re: What are ways to get admitted into Harvard without taking a year or two off post grad?

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:21 pm

OP follow your dreams. You obviously know better than all the practicing lawyers and current law students who took time out of their day to give you their thoughts.

nixy

Gold

Re: What are ways to get admitted into Harvard without taking a year or two off post grad?

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:23 pm

gooserpunk wrote:Sorry to everyone, I guess I didn’t quite achieve the sarcastic tone I was going for...
Oops, my apologies! My sarcasm meter probably needs adjusting. I get you now (and am relieved!).

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:32 pm

gooserpunk wrote:Sorry to everyone, I guess I didn’t quite achieve the sarcastic tone I was going for...
Someone didn't read my PSA...take your sarcasm somewhere else.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Wow i'm being verbally attacked in my own thread. Sad, embarrassing, pathetic for these supposed "practicing lawyers" and "law students" to spew their negativity to a college freshman simply asking for advice. Sending my condolences, I hope you put the same angry energy into your actual "work". Much love! xoxo. Oh and the door is that way. :D

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Dcc617 wrote:OP follow your dreams. You obviously know better than all the practicing lawyers and current law students who took time out of their day to give you their thoughts.
Never have I ever said I don't appreciate the real advice. However, the irrelevant ones from the same negative people, eh not so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rc8

New

Post by rc8 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:54 pm

Dcc617 is a Harvard Law student.

And many other people on this thread are very accomplished lawyers who went to elite top 14 law schools and have been practicing at prestigious international BigLaw firms for many years.

I think a dose of humility would be appreciated as they are honestly taking out valuable time out of their day to offer their insight and advice. I would take their words with a more open mind. Some of the advice might be "hard to hear," but it's good advice from law students and lawyers who have more experience.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:58 pm

QContinuum wrote:
nixy wrote:
gooserpunk wrote:
criminologygeek wrote:I can "have curiosity" about life after I graduate law school, now is not the time I want to be messing around and wasting time.
This is the proper approach. Please don't get discouraged by the haters in this thread! Life's not going anywhere and you're still young. Plenty of time to be curious once you finish law school and start working. In my opinion, freshman year of college is the most crucial time to stay focused, keep your nose to the grindstone, and avoid making mistakes. Good luck!
Oh wow. This is sad to read.

Be curious now, and who knows? You may find much *better* options for your life than going to law school. Very few people actually know at 18-19 what they want to do with the rest of their life.

It is really way easier to be curious and try things out before going to grad school and committing to a difficult demanding profession.
I know I also previously bowed out of this thread before, but gooserpunk's advice is so objectively wrong that I felt a duty to reenter the thread just to rebut it.

The older you (using "you" in the generic sense) get, the less of a chance you have to "be curious" and explore. Of course there are exceptions, but over the mine run of cases, as folks get older they acquire debt and SOs and car loans and rent. As an unencumbered 18-year-old, the world is your oyster. You can decide to go any which way you wish. As a 24-year-old K-JD, you are now encumbered with college debt and law school debt. You likely have a SO tying you to a specific city. You are also responsible for supporting yourself - rent, food, health insurance, the whole shebang - so once you're out of school you need a job that allows you to pay for that and repay your loans. You can't simply decide to tell your creditors to wait while you go traveling for a year or two (and also, where would you even get the money to go traveling?). And once you start working, again, you can't simply lark off and quit to go traveling. Where will you find the money and how will you hold your creditors at bay while you do so?

Now you could say, okay, I'm a 24-year-old K-JD. I'm still young. I have time to explore. I can change my mind. What I really want to be is a doctor. And it's true - you would certainly be more than young enough to go to med school, or grad school, or whatever. But now you're also dragging along your college and law school debt - and taking on yet more debt. By the time you finally emerge, you'd have a stratospheric mountain of debt that you'd be paying off well into middle age, using funds you should've been putting toward a down payment on a house, or spending on raising children, or socking away toward retirement. I have known people who have done this - who went K-JD, or K-MD, or K-whatever, and then changed their minds and went back for more schooling in a new field. They are miserable under their debt loads.

tl;dr The idea that it's better to explore after finishing law school is objectively unreasonable. Maybe the model works for those with a fat trust fund. But for everyone else, no.
I see where you're coming from, I appreciate your gentle and advice backed up with real reasoning versus the users above weakly insulting me with sarcasm and negativity. However, I don't think this is a one-size-fits-all situation. My point was I am not the traveling nor "exploring" type. I've been fortunate enough to travel across the globe already (Dubai, Egypt, Turkey, Mykonos, you name it.) And I don't have the same urgency to be spontaneous as i've already been granted the opportunity to have traveled to many places at a younger age. Also, i'm not the type to explore, I am a more serious type when it comes to work and life in general. I rather bust my behind off working hard now and paying up the debt later. I don't take an issue with that.
As for being tyed down to a SO, not so much of my worries as I don't plan on pursuing a relationship till after law school. Also, non-relevant but I would never even open up credits. Cash is more smart.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:02 am

rc8 wrote:Dcc617 is a Harvard Law student.

And many other people on this thread are very accomplished lawyers who went to elite top 14 law schools and have been practicing at prestigious international BigLaw firms for many years.

I think a dose of humility would be appreciated as they are honestly taking out valuable time out of their day to offer their insight and advice. I would take their words with a more open mind. Some of the advice might be "hard to hear," but it's good advice from law students and lawyers who have more experience.
I'm an open-mind, but when someone crosses boundaries and starts "smart" mouthing me with sarcasm instead of gentle advice, I take issue. I couldn't care less if they attended Yale or worked for the president. Respect is a real thing, online or not.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:54 am

criminologygeek wrote:I've been fortunate enough to travel across the globe already (Dubai, Egypt, Turkey, Mykonos, you name it.)
I'm wheezing laughing, holy shit

This counts as "travel across the globe" now? Sounds like a fairly relaxed two-week vacation. Imagine feeling worldly because you sampled a half-dozen of the Middle East's finest hotel pools and did the thing with the camels and the Pyramids.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:45 am

criminologygeek wrote:
Someone didn't read my PSA...take your sarcasm somewhere else.
Here’s another PSA - the OP doesn’t control the content of the responses in their thread, the mods do that job. Having a tantrum about the responses you receive does nothing. People post responses that are for the larger audience than just the OP.

Here’s an answer that isn’t sarcasm - you need to grow up or get much tougher skin or both.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:35 am

criminologygeek wrote:As for being tyed down to a SO, not so much of my worries as I don't plan on pursuing a relationship till after law school. Also, non-relevant but I would never even open up credits. Cash is more smart.
Oh. Oh, dear.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
criminologygeek wrote:I've been fortunate enough to travel across the globe already (Dubai, Egypt, Turkey, Mykonos, you name it.)
I'm wheezing laughing, holy shit

This counts as "travel across the globe" now? Sounds like a fairly relaxed two-week vacation. Imagine feeling worldly because you sampled a half-dozen of the Middle East's finest hotel pools and did the thing with the camels and the Pyramids.
Mykonos is in the European continent...also I listed Asia first, that is after of course, bringing up the fact those are not the only countries i've visited. Not that it's relevant to the forum, not sure why you're grasping at straws. Oh, and by the way have you looked into getting an inhaler? I don't think wheezing is healthy. Maybe invest in a geography map too, it's important to know continents. Have a nice day.

Womboozle

New

Post by Womboozle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:27 am

I feel like there are some valuable conclusions to be made here. Without further ado, I present my keys to getting into Harvard K-JD:

1. Get a 3.9 in your first semester of undergrad. Gotta ace those intro level courses!
2. Travel the world to such exotic lands as Mykonos, the hidden gem of the Cyclades.
3. Snag a couple of unpaid internships working at your dad’s friend’s law firm. It might not sound the same as two years of full time work experience, but let’s be honest, you’re such a good writer that you’ll make up any lost ground in your jawdropping personal statement.
4. Ah yes, the LSAT. Without even looking at a full practice test, let’s just set the bar at 178. Sure, only 1/1000 people hit that score, but you’re not some random fool off the street! Oh no, you’ve gotten an A in Philosophy 101 and Introduction to Wellness, plus you’ve been to Dubai. At least a 175 is a safe assumption.
5. Ditch curiosity. You think being curious has anything to do with learning? Cmon! What’s there to be curious about when you already know everything? I mean, you’ve spent a weekend in Turkey. Ever heard of the Hagia Sophia? Enough said.
6. Reject all advice that goes against your plan. Let’s be honest, advice is crap if it doesn’t affirm what you already want to do. What would the haters know anyway? While they were off doing stupid stuff like working and going to law school, you were getting an A- (hey it’s a 3.9, nobody’s perfect) in your rigorous sociology seminar. Follow your instincts out there!
7. No Dating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:32 pm

:roll: Yes, Dubai is in the Middle East. This took a turn for the weird.

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Womboozle wrote:I feel like there are some valuable conclusions to be made here. Without further ado, I present my keys to getting into Harvard K-JD:

1. Get a 3.9 in your first semester of undergrad. Gotta ace those intro level courses!
2. Travel the world to such exotic lands as Mykonos, the hidden gem of the Cyclades.
3. Snag a couple of unpaid internships working at your dad’s friend’s law firm. It might not sound the same as two years of full time work experience, but let’s be honest, you’re such a good writer that you’ll make up any lost ground in your jawdropping personal statement.
4. Ah yes, the LSAT. Without even looking at a full practice test, let’s just set the bar at 178. Sure, only 1/1000 people hit that score, but you’re not some random fool off the street! Oh no, you’ve gotten an A in Philosophy 101 and Introduction to Wellness, plus you’ve been to Dubai. At least a 175 is a safe assumption.
5. Ditch curiosity. You think being curious has anything to do with learning? Cmon! What’s there to be curious about when you already know everything? I mean, you’ve spent a weekend in Turkey. Ever heard of the Hagia Sophia? Enough said.
6. Reject all advice that goes against your plan. Let’s be honest, advice is crap if it doesn’t affirm what you already want to do. What would the haters know anyway? While they were off doing stupid stuff like working and going to law school, you were getting an A- (hey it’s a 3.9, nobody’s perfect) in your rigorous sociology seminar. Follow your instincts out there!
7. No Dating.
:lol: Trolling level = 178. Bien fait.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Womboozle wrote:7. No Dating.
Complete celibacy is really the only answer.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:55 pm

Womboozle wrote:I feel like there are some valuable conclusions to be made here. Without further ado, I present my keys to getting into Harvard K-JD:

7. No Dating.
Aw look, a user with only 1 post. And what does that post happen to be? Oh yes, my post! I mean how much free time can you have? Though I think since you love making "jokes" I have the perfect job you should apply to.
https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/casting/ ... ors/clowns

You can try applying for a circus clown position. Except you actually get paid to make "jokes". Toodles!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:51 am

Citing Mykonos as a cultural destination is akin to citing a beer bong as a totem of gastronomy.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am

I can’t see OP passing the Harvard interview but I can’t see OP maintaining a 3.9 or getting a 178 either. I hope OP grows up enough to make it, guess time will tell.

Maybe we’ve all been trolled. If so, good job.

Should there be a separate section on the forum for high school kids or college freshman?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:23 am

As a fun side note (and because I want people to actually learn something from this thread), becoming a clown for Cirque du Soleil is infinitely more difficult than getting into law school.

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am

cavalier1138 wrote:As a fun side note (and because I want people to actually learn something from this thread), becoming a clown for Cirque du Soleil is infinitely more difficult than getting into law school.
:lol: This checks out.

"Requirements qualifications & Skills:

Completed training in theatre, physical theatre, commedia dell’arte or mime;
Work experience;
Very original character;

Physical precision, emotional projection, comprehensibility;
Excellent sense of rhythm;• Charisma and radiant stage presence;
Strong improvisation abilities and a talent for repartee;
18 years or older."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 pm

OP, I hate to say it, but I know plenty of people who had 4.0s after their first semester of college and couldn’t get into Harvard or even score a 178 on the LSAT. I think it might be an uphill battle for you, unless the Adcom really views your extensive travel experience and one-day invaluable internship skills for what they are truly worth. Good luck.

Mercat

New

Post by Mercat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 pm

OP is not going to break 170. Seems hard-nosed and driven, but middling intellectual horse power.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:16 am

Mercat wrote:OP is not going to break 170. Seems hard-nosed and driven, but middling intellectual horse power.
Your observation skills are weak, you can't make assumptions based off of several posts of mine and assume you have me and my future LSAT score figured out.

Mercat

New

Post by Mercat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Yeah I was just being snarky. How you do on the lsat is ultimately a product of your study. If you're as driven in real life as you seem on here, you might do well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”