What are ways to get admitted into Harvard without taking a year or two off post grad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lxwind

New

Re: What are ways to get admitted into Harvard without taking a year or two off post grad?

Post by Lxwind » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:40 pm

criminologygeek wrote:
Lxwind wrote:To answer the question: get a near-perfect GPA and a near-perfect LSAT and you'll be good to go. As far as I'm seeing, HLS admission is fairly predictable and highly depends on the numbers - especially LSAT which you have time to study for and have multiple chances to improve. Other than that, I'll say that if you know you are gonna do this, submit early. Stats show that for HLS, basically the earlier you apply the better chance you have, which is different from YLS and SLS. So, have all your documents ready in the summer and submit in early September will likely boost your chance, but only marginally. There are more students with experience than KJDs in HLS doesn't mean the admission rate is higher for older applicants. As a matter of fact, stats have shown that younger test takers tend to have higher LSAT scores in general. Therefore, if you've already decided this is what you want to do, leverage your advantage as a younger student who is determined and have the time - nail the test. A 3.9+ and a 180 basically means Harvard is a lock unless, idk, there is sth. extremely weird in your application. That is a goal that doesn't require gap years. Aim for that. Just remember, Harvard is always gonna be there and you don't have to rush. Good luck!
Sounds like a solid plan, though from what people seem to be saying, the later you apply the better. I think a 180 is honestly heaven, but im aiming for at least a 177+ to get my foot in the door, even if that means halfway. What's your take on applying after University and if I don't get in, applying again after a year? A rejection would be devastating, but i'm wondering if Harvard wouldn't consider someone they had previously declined.
I think what people are saying is to take time to gain some work experiences. What I'm trying to say is to submit the application as early as possible once you decide to apply in a single cycle. E.g. people are suggesting that you apply in 2023-2024 or 2024-2025 cycle instead of 2022-2023, and I'm saying that if you do decide to apply in 2022-2023, apply in September 2022 instead of February 2023.

HLS's official position on reapplying can be found here: https://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmissio ... sions-faq/

A rejection would not be devastating. You'll just need to submit new application documents. I'd imagine a higher LSAT score is gonna be very helpful when reapplying as well. But at the same time, since you are going to apply to a lot of schools, simply a rejection from HLS may not be worth another year of doing this - for example, if you can get admitted to one of CCN, or lower T-14 schools, please think twice before spending another year just to try again with Harvard, especially without any guarantee of success. As other people already pointed out, Harvard is perhaps not that different from the other top schools.

jsnow212

Bronze

Re: What are ways to get admitted into Harvard without taking a year or two off post grad?

Post by jsnow212 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:44 pm

criminologygeek wrote:
Lxwind wrote:To answer the question: get a near-perfect GPA and a near-perfect LSAT and you'll be good to go. As far as I'm seeing, HLS admission is fairly predictable and highly depends on the numbers - especially LSAT which you have time to study for and have multiple chances to improve. Other than that, I'll say that if you know you are gonna do this, submit early. Stats show that for HLS, basically the earlier you apply the better chance you have, which is different from YLS and SLS. So, have all your documents ready in the summer and submit in early September will likely boost your chance, but only marginally. There are more students with experience than KJDs in HLS doesn't mean the admission rate is higher for older applicants. As a matter of fact, stats have shown that younger test takers tend to have higher LSAT scores in general. Therefore, if you've already decided this is what you want to do, leverage your advantage as a younger student who is determined and have the time - nail the test. A 3.9+ and a 180 basically means Harvard is a lock unless, idk, there is sth. extremely weird in your application. That is a goal that doesn't require gap years. Aim for that. Just remember, Harvard is always gonna be there and you don't have to rush. Good luck!
Sounds like a solid plan, though from what people seem to be saying, the later you apply the better. I think a 180 is honestly heaven, but im aiming for at least a 177+ to get my foot in the door, even if that means halfway. What's your take on applying after University and if I don't get in, applying again after a year? A rejection would be devastating, but i'm wondering if Harvard wouldn't consider someone they had previously declined.
Three things:

1) A 177 is ridiculously hard to get, let alone "at least". I don't know if you've started studying for the LSAT, but unless you are scoring near that on practice tests, it is a huge statement to say that is your target score.

2) You don't need a a 177 to "get your foot in the door". Honestly, if you have 3.9+ and a 174, you are "in" at Harvard statistically. HLS admissions are not as unpredictable or exclusive as you may believe. Get the stats, apply in Sept., get in. (Obviously don't submit a blank resume and a cringe-inducing PS)

3) Echoing the sentiments of others, I advise working before law school as well. You are still early in undergrad so you might change your mind, hence people are giving you advice. I probably did the most intellectual and emotional growing the two years after undergrad than in all my previous years combined. Having that growth can be invaluable not only for law school, but for you life in general. Definitely consider it!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:42 am

criminologygeek wrote:
Wild Card wrote:Harvard Law School is nowhere as selective as Harvard College. A high GPA and high LSAT score are "all" you need. It's easy to get a high GPA but extremely difficult to get a high LSAT score.
True. But assuming you take a reasonable and fitting amount of time to prepare for the test, it can have significant amount of difference. Though, that also depends on your personal statement, recommendation letters, and essay you submit. Harvard University is definitely somewhat more competitive than HLS.
It took me 3.5 years of studying to make my way to a 170. I thought about taking another year off, but I was afraid I'd end up with little better than a 172 or something. It's tough. Incidentally, I can think of at least four acquaintances of mine who graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College but ended up at T14 or T6 schools because they couldn't do well on the LSAT. It takes a 2300 (99.9 %ile) to be competitive for Harvard College and it takes solid work ethic to graduate with a 3.95+ from that school, yet these folks simply could not hack the LSAT.

So if you're dead set on HLS, start studying now. When you start working a real job, you won't have the time or the will to study.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am

My advice to OP remains that they should prepare for life not the exam. That means OP should learn some logic through classes and start to read widely. Read Scientific American to get used to science articles. Read The New Yorker for a variety of articles. Maybe start doing fun logic puzzles.

Studying just for the test brings little long term benefit to your life (though it will make you a better test taker which could help with the bar.) Reading widely and logical thinking can have life long benefits outside the test score.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:00 pm

Npret wrote:My advice to OP remains that they should prepare for life not the exam. That means OP should learn some logic through classes and start to read widely. Read Scientific American to get used to science articles. Read The New Yorker for a variety of articles. Maybe start doing fun logic puzzles.

Studying just for the test brings little long term benefit to your life (though it will make you a better test taker which could help with the bar.) Reading widely and logical thinking can have life long benefits outside the test score.
I agree with you, it's best to prepare through taking logic courses for sure. Nothing wrong with adding in some fun to exercise the brain through puzzles. Though, it's also smart to take practice LSAT tests to determine weak areas and start from there, because you could only read so many scientific articles and articles in general for so long...until it's time to prepare for the actual exam. I'm open to any advice on helpful college courses that I can take to benefit me for the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Wild Card wrote:
criminologygeek wrote:
Wild Card wrote:Harvard Law School is nowhere as selective as Harvard College. A high GPA and high LSAT score are "all" you need. It's easy to get a high GPA but extremely difficult to get a high LSAT score.
True. But assuming you take a reasonable and fitting amount of time to prepare for the test, it can have significant amount of difference. Though, that also depends on your personal statement, recommendation letters, and essay you submit. Harvard University is definitely somewhat more competitive than HLS.
It took me 3.5 years of studying to make my way to a 170. I thought about taking another year off, but I was afraid I'd end up with little better than a 172 or something. It's tough. Incidentally, I can think of at least four acquaintances of mine who graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College but ended up at T14 or T6 schools because they couldn't do well on the LSAT. It takes a 2300 (99.9 %ile) to be competitive for Harvard College and it takes solid work ethic to graduate with a 3.95+ from that school, yet these folks simply could not hack the LSAT.

So if you're dead set on HLS, start studying now. When you start working a real job, you won't have the time or the will to study.
What was your weak point that made the LSAT so challenging? 170 is still fine in my opinion. I'm sure with that score you'd get into a good school.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 am

Wild Card wrote:So if you're dead set on HLS, start studying now. When you start working a real job, you won't have the time or the will to study.
This might be true for some, but generally it's pretty easy to balance LSAT prep with a 9-5 (or even somewhat more demanding) job. Personally I found it a lot easier than studying while also taking classes in college would have been.
criminologygeek wrote:Though, it's also smart to take practice LSAT tests to determine weak areas and start from there, because you could only read so many scientific articles and articles in general for so long...until it's time to prepare for the actual exam. I'm open to any advice on helpful college courses that I can take to benefit me for the LSAT.
I wouldn't do this. Genuine LSAT prep tests are a precious resource and there's no reason to start using them until you're actually on your way to taking the test. If you're a freshman in college it's way too early for that.

Taking courses in formal logic is a good idea. You also want to get good at reading. Reading a middlebrow newspaper (NYT, Economist, etc.) and maybe an academic journal in a field you're interested in cover-to-cover for the next few years would also be huge for you. Getting really good at reading difficult English is hard to do quickly and it's very important for doing well on the LSAT.

And to be totally clear: everything above is dwarfed in importance by your GPA. Max it out while it's still under your control.

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 am

criminologygeek wrote:What was your weak point that made the LSAT so challenging? 170 is still fine in my opinion. I'm sure with that score you'd get into a good school.
Have you taken a practice test yet / tried to do a section under timed conditions? I recommend doing that once when you have a spare afternoon, so you know what you're dealing with. The test is ridiculously hard. I teach the LSAT, and I got the kind of 175+ score you're aiming for. It takes an insane amount of work that almost nobody is willing to do. You very well may study for 2+ years consistently and never score in that range. This is not the SAT. It is an entirely skills-based, content-neutral mental exercise that requires you to train like an elite athlete. You don't study with flash cards; you train with reps. Try out a PT, and if you think you have a handle on it, then chill out and focus on your GPA.

Either way, chill out and focus on your GPA.

eta: In response to the "PTs are a scarce resource" comment above -- I agree with that sentiment, but there are nearly 90 of them. I'm just advising you to sit down and take one under timed conditions as a diagnostic. Definitely don't churn and burn them until you've done some real targeted drilling and finished all of the guidebooks.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:31 am

OP have you even looked at an LSAT? Reading quickly and comprehending in various and unpredictable subjects is crucial. The main benefit is that you learn more about people and the world around you and even find other interests. Maybe have some curiousity about life instead of worrying about a number.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 am

Npret wrote:OP have you even looked at an LSAT? Reading quickly and comprehending in various and unpredictable subjects is crucial. The main benefit is that you learn more about people and the world around you and even find other interests. Maybe have some curiousity about life instead of worrying about a number.
Yes I have actually, if this is where you start "smart" mouthing me I would just stop there. I will worry about a number because who wouldn't? would anyone want a low LSAT score? I can "have curiosity" about life after I graduate law school, now is not the time I want to be messing around and wasting time.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 am

Kaziende wrote:
criminologygeek wrote:What was your weak point that made the LSAT so challenging? 170 is still fine in my opinion. I'm sure with that score you'd get into a good school.
Have you taken a practice test yet / tried to do a section under timed conditions? I recommend doing that once when you have a spare afternoon, so you know what you're dealing with. The test is ridiculously hard. I teach the LSAT, and I got the kind of 175+ score you're aiming for. It takes an insane amount of work that almost nobody is willing to do. You very well may study for 2+ years consistently and never score in that range. This is not the SAT. It is an entirely skills-based, content-neutral mental exercise that requires you to train like an elite athlete. You don't study with flash cards; you train with reps. Try out a PT, and if you think you have a handle on it, then chill out and focus on your GPA.

Either way, chill out and focus on your GPA.

eta: In response to the "PTs are a scarce resource" comment above -- I agree with that sentiment, but there are nearly 90 of them. I'm just advising you to sit down and take one under timed conditions as a diagnostic. Definitely don't churn and burn them until you've done some real targeted drilling and finished all of the guidebooks.
Do you recommend getting a tutor at some point for the LSAT whenever I start studying? I know it's pricey.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 am

criminologygeek wrote:
Npret wrote:OP have you even looked at an LSAT? Reading quickly and comprehending in various and unpredictable subjects is crucial. The main benefit is that you learn more about people and the world around you and even find other interests. Maybe have some curiousity about life instead of worrying about a number.
Yes I have actually, if this is where you start "smart" mouthing me I would just stop there. I will worry about a number because who wouldn't? would anyone want a low LSAT score? I can "have curiosity" about life after I graduate law school, now is not the time I want to be messing around and wasting time.
I’m not smart mouthing you. I’m giving you solid advice for the test and for having a better life. Your fixation on your score for a test you haven’t even tried once as a practice test is at best extremely premature.

Reading widely and quickly is not something you will learn from practice tests. You will have no idea what subject will used for reading comprehension.

I admit it’s very strange to me that you keep talking about an exam you haven’t even attempted.

If you doubt my credentials- I got a 178 on a first try. I’m a voracious and extremely fast reader. I studied biology and anthropology. I grew up doing all kinds of puzzles because my mom enjoys them. I can do codes and ciphers as well as the LSAT basic games fairly easily.

So my preparation for the test was built up with years of experience. Studying to learn the question types and get the timing down was mostly the fine tuning I needed. That’s my personal perspective.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:34 am

Npret wrote:
criminologygeek wrote:
I’m not smart mouthing you. I’m giving you solid advice for the test and for having a better life. Your fixation on your score for a test you haven’t even tried once as a practice test is at best extremely premature.

Reading widely and quickly is not something you will learn from practice tests. You will have no idea what subject will used for reading comprehension.

I admit it’s very strange to me that you keep talking about an exam you haven’t even attempted.

If you doubt my credentials- I got a 178 on a first try. I’m a voracious and extremely fast reader. I studied biology and anthropology. I grew up doing all kinds of puzzles because my mom enjoys them. I can do codes and ciphers as well as the LSAT basic games fairly easily.

So my preparation for the test was built up with years of experience. Studying to learn the question types and get the timing down was mostly the fine tuning I needed. That’s my personal perspective.
I did look over it and attempted a practice test. But attempting it or not, I believe everyone should have a score they want to target in mind...though 178 is impressive. My exact target score actually. Not sure what kinds of codes you're referring to but if that's the case I should be well off, as I'm pretty advanced in computer programming though it's not my major. I understand that one might need to read articles and such to enhance your reading skills.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:05 am

criminologygeek wrote: Do you recommend getting a tutor at some point for the LSAT whenever I start studying? I know it's pricey.
An LSAT tutor is basically just a personal trainer. If you're intrinsically motivated and willing to do the work, you probably won't need one. I didn't have a tutor, and I self-studied from a mid 140s diagnostic to an upper 170s official score. Just read all of the guidebooks and take (and thoroughly review) all of the practice tests ever released.

gooserpunk

New

Post by gooserpunk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm

criminologygeek wrote:I can "have curiosity" about life after I graduate law school, now is not the time I want to be messing around and wasting time.
This is the proper approach. Please don't get discouraged by the haters in this thread! Life's not going anywhere and you're still young. Plenty of time to be curious once you finish law school and start working. In my opinion, freshman year of college is the most crucial time to stay focused, keep your nose to the grindstone, and avoid making mistakes. Good luck!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm

gooserpunk wrote:
criminologygeek wrote:I can "have curiosity" about life after I graduate law school, now is not the time I want to be messing around and wasting time.
This is the proper approach. Please don't get discouraged by the haters in this thread! Life's not going anywhere and you're still young. Plenty of time to be curious once you finish law school and start working. In my opinion, freshman year of college is the most crucial time to stay focused, keep your nose to the grindstone, and avoid making mistakes. Good luck!
Lol.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:19 pm

gooserpunk wrote:
Oh wow. This is sad to read.

Be curious now, and who knows? You may find much *better* options for your life than going to law school. Very few people actually know at 18-19 what they want to do with the rest of their life.

It is really way easier to be curious and try things out before going to grad school and committing to a difficult demanding profession.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:13 pm

nixy wrote:
gooserpunk wrote:

Be curious now, and who knows? You may find much *better* options for your life than going to law school. Very few people actually know at 18-19 what they want to do with the rest of their life.

It is really way easier to be curious and try things out before going to grad school and committing to a difficult demanding profession.
I’m laughing at the idea that a practicing lawyer has more free time to “be curious” than a college freshman.

I gave up on this thread once before but maybe there are 0Ls who will benefit from the general and the specific advice posted here.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 pm

gooserpunk wrote:
Exactly! the haters on this thread are just 2 people that continuously keep coming back flooding the forum with their unwanted irrelevant advice on life when the question is specifically about HLS and gap years. It's laughable, I can almost see the steam coming out of their ears as they type their 500 manifesto on why I shouldn't attend HLS. I will "explore" life later and actually focus on my GPA. I keep coming back to my original question on this forum searching for where I asked for their extraneous input on how I should live my life, but I can't seem to find it.

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 pm

criminologygeek wrote:
gooserpunk wrote:
Exactly! the haters on this thread are just 2 people that continuously keep coming back flooding the forum with their unwanted irrelevant advice on life when the question is specifically about HLS and gap years. It's laughable, I can almost see the steam coming out of their ears as they type their 500 manifesto on why I shouldn't attend HLS. I will "explore" life later and actually focus on my GPA. I keep coming back to my original question on this forum searching for where I asked for their extraneous input on how I should live my life, but I can't seem to find it.

P.S I hope those two 'haters' never write an essay, they will never follow what the prompt asks and go off on irrelevant tangents.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Please bookmark this thread to look back on when you are an adult.

I bowed out from this a while back, but if you were trying to project an image that isn't whiny-teenager-who-can't-just-ignore-advice-they-don't-like, you're doing a shit job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

criminologygeek

New

Post by criminologygeek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Please bookmark this thread to look back on when you are an adult.

I bowed out from this a while back, but if you were trying to project an image that isn't whiny-teenager-who-can't-just-ignore-advice-they-don't-like, you're doing a shit job.
So should I bookmark it now since I am an adult?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 pm

nixy wrote:
gooserpunk wrote:

I know I also previously bowed out of this thread before, but gooserpunk's advice is so objectively wrong that I felt a duty to reenter the thread just to rebut it.

The older you (using "you" in the generic sense) get, the less of a chance you have to "be curious" and explore. Of course there are exceptions, but over the mine run of cases, as folks get older they acquire debt and SOs and car loans and rent. As an unencumbered 18-year-old, the world is your oyster. You can decide to go any which way you wish. As a 24-year-old K-JD, you are now encumbered with college debt and law school debt. You likely have a SO tying you to a specific city. You are also responsible for supporting yourself - rent, food, health insurance, the whole shebang - so once you're out of school you need a job that allows you to pay for that and repay your loans. You can't simply decide to tell your creditors to wait while you go traveling for a year or two (and also, where would you even get the money to go traveling?). And once you start working, again, you can't simply lark off and quit to go traveling. Where will you find the money and how will you hold your creditors at bay while you do so?

Now you could say, okay, I'm a 24-year-old K-JD. I'm still young. I have time to explore. I can change my mind. What I really want to be is a doctor. And it's true - you would certainly be more than young enough to go to med school, or grad school, or whatever. But now you're also dragging along your college and law school debt - and taking on yet more debt. By the time you finally emerge, you'd have a stratospheric mountain of debt that you'd be paying off well into middle age, using funds you should've been putting toward a down payment on a house, or spending on raising children, or socking away toward retirement. I have known people who have done this - who went K-JD, or K-MD, or K-whatever, and then changed their minds and went back for more schooling in a new field. They are miserable under their debt loads.

tl;dr The idea that it's better to explore after finishing law school is objectively unreasonable. Maybe the model works for those with a fat trust fund. But for everyone else, no.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 pm

criminologygeek wrote:P.S I hope those two 'haters' never write an essay, they will never follow what the prompt asks and go off on irrelevant tangents.
Look, I hate to be a snot, but human conversations aren't essay prompts - they evolve and change as communication occurs. That doesn't mean you have to like/agree with what's said, but this kind of comment just looks petty.

gooserpunk

New

Post by gooserpunk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:15 pm

Sorry to everyone, I guess I didn’t quite achieve the sarcastic tone I was going for...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”