Transfer GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoBlue1996

New

Transfer GPA

Post by GoBlue1996 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:27 am

Hello all,

I am a senior who will be applying to law school in a couple of years after graduation. Long story short: I was able to maintain a 3.8 GPA for two years at my first undergraduate institution and then I decided to transfer to a more elite university. A combination of an extremely difficult major (the average GPA for my major is posted by the schools newspaper to be below a 3.0) and some extenuating circumstances I only had around a 3.2 for my junior year. I am likely to receive around a 3.5 average for my senior year which will place me at an overall undergraduate GPA of around 3.5+. I have also taken many practice LSATs and have gotten around a 170. I am hoping to study over the summer while working and solidify around that 170 score. My question for all of you is; will that drop in gpa after transferring ruin my chances at a top law school, I’m not expecting HYS, something more like Umich or even Georgetown. I’m concerned that they won’t understand my circumstances and will only view that drop as me not being able to handle a more challenging course load. Also, is unexpected financial difficulties forcing me to work nearly full time enough for them to reconsider this large drop in my GPA?

cavalier1138

Re: Transfer GPA

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:26 am

Your GPA will be 3.5x. That's all the schools are going to care about.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”