Can I get into law school with a 3.0 GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lawgiver1981

New

Can I get into law school with a 3.0 GPA

Post by Lawgiver1981 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:48 pm

I went to a HBCU and graduated with a 3.0 in Business. I haven’t taken the LSAT yet, but my last practice exam score was 134.

Can I (or should it) apply to law school?

Should I get my MBA first and then apply?

uncle_rico

New

Re: Can I get into law school with a 3.0 GPA

Post by uncle_rico » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Is there a job you’re even looking for? What’s the point of getting an MBA and then a law degree? It doesn’t seem like you know what you want other than more degrees. Take some time to come up with personal career goals, then research and talk to mentors about how to get there

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:47 am

uncle_rico wrote: What’s the point of getting an MBA and then a law degree?
There are some jobs where it's a plus, but they're quite rare. One of my coworkers in m&a got a JD/MBA and probably got hired because of it.

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:28 am

totesTheGoat wrote:
uncle_rico wrote: What’s the point of getting an MBA and then a law degree?
There are some jobs where it's a plus, but they're quite rare. One of my coworkers in m&a got a JD/MBA and probably got hired because of it.
I definitely understand the benefits of a dual JD/MBA, especially since some firms like Wachtell tend to look for those credentials. However, OP made it seem as if he would be getting these separately without having any particular reason other than racking up degrees

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Lawgiver1981 wrote:I went to a HBCU and graduated with a 3.0 in Business. I haven’t taken the LSAT yet, but my last practice exam score was 134.

Can I (or should it) apply to law school?

Should I get my MBA first and then apply?
I hate to be an asshole, but there's no law school that would take you with a 134, not even a low-ranked school like Florida A & M. Take a prep course and/or get a private tutor. If you can bump that score up 15-20 points then you'll have a decent chance of getting into a handful of law schools. CUNY Law School would take you if you scored 150+ on the LSAT and had a bunch of extracurriculars.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”