can you appeal a rejection or denial? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ugawarrent

New

can you appeal a rejection or denial?

Post by ugawarrent » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:54 am

I just got rejected from my top choice. Has anyone ever heard of appealing a negative admissions decision, and it being successful? I sort of feel like I don't have anything to lose... I've gotten into some other good schools, but pretty much in every way this school is my favorite - quality, cost, market, etc.

Thoughts or advice welcomed! As added info, I'm a point their median LSAT and below 25% GPA, but I was hoping my 7 years of professional experience would counter that somewhat.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Re: can you appeal a rejection or denial?

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am

Yes, I've heard of it.
No, I don't really know the process or success rates.

iwanttogotolawschool

New

Post by iwanttogotolawschool » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02 pm

I did it. Don't know how it will turn out though.

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:11 pm

ugawarrent wrote:I just got rejected from my top choice. Has anyone ever heard of appealing a negative admissions decision, and it being successful? I sort of feel like I don't have anything to lose... I've gotten into some other good schools, but pretty much in every way this school is my favorite - quality, cost, market, etc.

Thoughts or advice welcomed! As added info, I'm a point their median LSAT and below 25% GPA, but I was hoping my 7 years of professional experience would counter that somewhat.
I can understand why you'd want to do this. They'll probably have an answer, but I don't know how much you will get from it.

My cousin who works in the HR dept of a university hiring profs and other support staff was telling me that she makes notes about all resumes (which she said is what takes her so long to get through them all and slows down the process, but is necessary because people do call...hm). But, she said that she has alot of standard replies "poor academic performance" "doesn't fit needs of the unversity" "not what we're looking for at the moment," "insufficient amount of experience," etc. When people call her, which they do, she gives tells them the note she wrote, but does not elaborate (eg. what would make them fit the needs of the university, what experience should they get). She knows some of the admissions people and said they usually do a similiar thing at that university.

finalnight

New

Post by finalnight » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:40 am

I got in on appeal to my UG school. But that was due to a paperwork error on the school's part. I hear admission on appeal is EXTREMELY rare at any academic institution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:47 am

It's called applying next year.

philo-sophia

Bronze

Post by philo-sophia » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:52 am

what if something changed after the app? I got rejected at GTown with a 167. Can i call back with my 169 and ask to at least be put on the WL?

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:59 am

philo-sophia wrote:what if something changed after the app? I got rejected at GTown with a 167. Can i call back with my 169 and ask to at least be put on the WL?
You should call to let them know about it. But, I don't think 2 points will make a big difference, 5-10 maybe.
Also, some schools by policy, will not consider any LSATs taken after Dec. so make sure to check on that before you call them.

brink123

New

Post by brink123 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:12 pm

I don't think they take appeals seriously unless you have something substantial to add to your application.

I have no source so I don't know though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Upgrayedd

New

Post by Upgrayedd » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Yes. But I bet nothign will change unless you were YP'd.

cea23

New

Post by cea23 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:50 am

iwanttogotolawschool wrote:I did it. Don't know how it will turn out though.

"Iwanttogotolawschool" how did you appeal the decision (WL, denial?)? Did you call and ask to speak to head of admissions or write a letter? If so, what did you say in the letter? Thanks, in advance.

EricC/O'11

New

Post by EricC/O'11 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:11 pm

I've heard of it working...but it was under an extremely rare circumstance so I'm not sure that it is even worth saying its common. I'm about to do this to my top choice. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:20 pm

UGAwarrent, I checked out your LSN. Hit me up and let me know where you want to appeal. I might have some advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ugawarrent

New

Post by ugawarrent » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:50 pm

I tried to PM you through TLS, but not sure if it went through correctly or not...

HalfManHalfAmazing

New

Post by HalfManHalfAmazing » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 pm

My mom was denied at Loyola Chicago. She called the day before classes started and said "Do you have any open spots?", they looked at her file and said "Hey these are pretty good scores, can you be here tomorrow?". The answer was yes, and bam that was 23 years ago.

So if you are DESPERATE for the school and are willing to risk that. There you go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”