Splitter GPA Addendum? Disclosing disability on applications? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katkat

New

Splitter GPA Addendum? Disclosing disability on applications?

Post by katkat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:32 pm

So on several applications there is an optional section for disclosing disabilities, how it affected performance, how you still succeeded, etc. And of of course they all say they can't discriminate based on that but idk how reliable that is since it would be hard to measure.

Here's my situation- major splitter, diagnosed with adhd in the middle of undergrad and academic performance went up significantly (3.7 semester, almost all As, Dean's List, etc) however my cumulative gpa is still shit- 2.6ish (and I know that's all that matters). I don't know if disclosing something like that and discussing how I was able to overcome it (relearned how to learn on my own, no accommodations on testing and still got a 170, better equipped to handle obstacles to my goals etc.) is worth it if there's a risk disclosing it could hurt my application? On the other hand I do still need something to say in addenda for gpa and academic probation C/F questions, and sharing the actual reason might look better than the unexplained mess that is my transcript.

(In addition to the adhd I was an unmotivated premed for years which helped tank the gpa, and was dealing with some trauma related personal issues, but I just want to present everything in the most positive, professional light I can with applications.)

It would be super helpful to get some of your thoughts on how to approach this and what would be appropriate to disclose/not disclose. I know the numbers will be the most important factors but in this situation I just don't want to screw up any other parts of my application.

cavalier1138

Re: Splitter GPA Addendum? Disclosing disability on applications?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 am

A diagnosed condition is pretty much the only valid reason to write a GPA addendum, and you should absolutely include a short, basic statement about the diagnosis and the difference in your grades afterwards.

vwhorley

New

Post by vwhorley » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm wondering about this too, except I was diagnosed with narcolepsy which is covered under the ADA so I got accommodations. Where my grades fell and started to recover, you can literally circle on my transcripts, so I will probably write an addendum. Would it help or hurt or not make a difference?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:42 pm

vwhorley wrote:I'm wondering about this too, except I was diagnosed with narcolepsy which is covered under the ADA so I got accommodations. Where my grades fell and started to recover, you can literally circle on my transcripts, so I will probably write an addendum. Would it help or hurt or not make a difference?
It's hard to say how much of a difference these things make, but it will only be helpful for your situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”