Old Fart Support Group please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wmbuff

Bronze

Re: Old Fart Support Group please

Post by wmbuff » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Well, there it was, the first ding of the cycle. It wasn't a surprise, given that I don't have any evidence of the school ever taking a super-splitter like me, but I figured with the fee waiver, it was worth a shot. Not so bad, really, since I'm in at four schools already.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:53 pm

wmbuff wrote:Well, there it was, the first ding of the cycle. It wasn't a surprise, given that I don't have any evidence of the school ever taking a super-splitter like me, but I figured with the fee waiver, it was worth a shot. Not so bad, really, since I'm in at four schools already.
Aw man! Sorry. :( Who did you wrong?

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 pm

laotaipo wrote:So going back to Bush v. Gorgeous' query at the very start of this thread, do you think they would be less likely to admit an older person with the same stats as a younger person? Given that there aren't that many old folks applying, you would think they would just allow the geezer in...
So after being highly paranoid, I'm relatively pleased with how things are going for me thus far and I *think* the answer to this is that age won't work against you. As someone else said, if it did it would really be at the very top (HYS maybe?). I applied to 15 schools--debt averse and scholarship hungry-- and am 9/9 and waiting on the last 6 (which are primarily my longest shots and will no doubt involve rejections/waitlists). The general pattern is that schools are excited for people with real experience and a drive to achieve specific goals (and are willing to give you $$).

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
wmbuff wrote:Well, there it was, the first ding of the cycle. It wasn't a surprise, given that I don't have any evidence of the school ever taking a super-splitter like me, but I figured with the fee waiver, it was worth a shot. Not so bad, really, since I'm in at four schools already.
Aw man! Sorry. :( Who did you wrong?
Cornell. If they'd done it in warmer weather, it might sting. Vanderbilt also just waitlisted me, but that's not so bad - I met a candidate with similar numbers this cycle who they flat out dinged, so I'm glad they see me as worth having in their back pocket (and I'll be composing a LOCI this weekend). I've got good options, and will have a few more before the cycle is through.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nomadiccyndi

New

Post by nomadiccyndi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:18 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
nomadiccyndi wrote:
wmbuff wrote:Welcome to the gang, Cyndi! (I'm not quoting because I seem to have a character limit on the McWifi.)

I'm not sure we're all overachievers - my GPA certainly doesn't reflect that - but I do think we've all had enough time living to get a real sense of what we want out of life and law school. Given what you've said in your introduction, I hope you knocked the personal statement out of the park. That's great material to explain what brought you to this point, and what you want to accomplish.

Since I'm a super splitter, I applied to 18 schools to maximize my chances. So far, I've heard back from six of them, and have been admitted to four (with scholarships at three) and waitlisted at the other two. That's not entirely surprising, though the two waitlists seem to represent a change in admissions strategy for the schools. We'll see what comes next. I expect a lot of news over the next couple of months, and hope that some of it will be good.
I was explaining the whole application process to my sister and when I told her about the personal statement she started laughing and was like, “Your whole ‘Story of Redemption/Pay It Forward’ schtick pretty much writes itself, huh” :mrgreen: I pointed out to her that I’m going to have to hope that my personal statement makes me sound amazing, because I am counting on that to distract from my, shall we say, ‘colorful’ Character/Fitness addenda.

Speaking of the Character/Fitness questions, did anyone else have to delay their app submissions in order to try to track down info to answer questions about driving history? Thankfully most schools said not to worry about minor violations but I was dumbstruck when some schools required EVERY citation, even if it was dismissed. I mean, I haven’t been pulled over in a few years, but I had a bit of a lead foot when I was younger and I’ve been driving for nearly 20 years! Who the hell remembers every speeding ticket they received for the last 20 years?!

The RMV doesn’t even keep that long of a driving history for minor violations. Trust me, I checked. Not to mention that I was a big fan of long road trips during my early 20’s, so I’ve had at least 2 tickets that I can’t even remember what STATE I was in when I got them :? I finally ended up having to say “I have received additional citations but I cannot provide an accurate accounting at this time as neither I nor the RI RMV have retained records that are over 10 years old”
For the schools that wanted every ticket, I wrote down the details for every ticket that was on my driving record, and then added a statement saying that I have been driving for 13 years and have gotten one or two more tickets that I can't recall the exact details for. Ended by saying that all fines associated with my tickets were promptly paid, and that I have never had my driving privileges suspended or revoked.
That’s essentially what I did, except I was careful NOT to imply that it was only one or 2 tickets that were missing because, frankly, it’s probably more like 15-20 if I had to take a wild guess :roll: It doesn’t help that RI driving records only go back 3 years. I’m not that bad a driver these days, but I had a serious lead foot in the when I was younger. To be honest, my license probably would have been in jeopardy if it wasn’t for the fact that I spent from age 18-23 traveling around the country and back then the RI RMV didn’t count out of state citations against your RI driving record. Of course, that also means I’ve had tickets in jurisdictions whose names I never even knew and I can think of at least two that I’m not even sure what state they were from lol. So I just listed the tickets on my driving record and explained that I wanted to acknowledge that there were additional tickets in my history but I’m not confident as to the exact number or circumstances. I did also mention that I’ve never lost my license for any reason.

Thanks, I feel better hearing that others had to resort to the same type of answers. I have been seriously concerned that after all this work I was gonna be denied law school because I didn’t bother keeping 20 yr old speeding tickets lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10271781

How the other side lives. Looks like anxiety over *lack* of work experience is also real.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blougram

New

Post by Blougram » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Yet another old fart: 36 and counting. We recently relocated to the Twin Cities to raise a family here, so I only applied to (and was accepted to) U of M. I will be taking the LSAT again in February to renegotiate my scholarship. Struggling with the logic games, but I don't think age is a factor. I would have struggled when I was 19. :)

The official age vs. average LSAT scores data (figure 4 in the PDF below) paint a bleak picture, but I think that has more to do with the fact that many of us cannot take three months off and study full time.

https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-sourc ... -group.pdf

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 pm

My daughter is applying to law school at age 20. We represent opposite ends of the spectrum, that's for sure.

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 am

In my 30s. URM. (Which autocorrected as rum and I'm ok with that, too). A mom. Giving this another shot. Yay me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 pm

laotaipo wrote:My daughter is applying to law school at age 20. We represent opposite ends of the spectrum, that's for sure.
That's awesome! Will you go to the same school?

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Fortunately, she did far, far better on the LSAT that I did. And her GPA is higher. So we're not in the same league.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Aspire2bEsquire wrote:In my 30s. URM. (Which autocorrected as rum and I'm ok with that, too). A mom. Giving this another shot. Yay me.
Haha! Made my day.

Welcome all the old farts!

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:03 pm

laotaipo wrote:Fortunately, she did far, far better on the LSAT that I did. And her GPA is higher. So we're not in the same league.
Oh well. I just thought it would be an interesting story to watch. Good luck to both of you though!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Aspire2bEsquire wrote:In my 30s. URM. (Which autocorrected as rum and I'm ok with that, too). A mom. Giving this another shot. Yay me.

I see you fellow 30-something, URM, mom who drinks (responsibly ;) ) Are you applying this cycle? I'd love to follow your cycle, if so. I'm keeping fairly regional, but it's still fun!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Got my first acceptance to American, my safety school for DC PT programs since I'm trying to keep my job to be able to pay up to 1/2 of tuition each year.

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Experiment626 wrote:Got my first acceptance to American, my safety school for DC PT programs since I'm trying to keep my job to be able to pay up to 1/2 of tuition each year.
Congratulations!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

laotaipo wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:Got my first acceptance to American, my safety school for DC PT programs since I'm trying to keep my job to be able to pay up to 1/2 of tuition each year.
Congratulations!
Thanks! T14 isn't possible, unless you count GLUC over Texas, with the restrictions I've imposed for staying in DC and going to school part time, can't justify giving up my job for FT debt load, but it's still happy news to me that I got in to something that's not TTT considering my horrible academics over a decade ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
laotaipo wrote:
Congratulations!
Thanks! T14 isn't possible, unless you count GLUC over Texas, with the restrictions I've imposed for staying in DC and going to school part time, can't justify giving up my job for FT debt load, but it's still happy news to me that I got in to something that's not TTT considering my horrible academics over a decade ago.
Congrats on American!! Still waiting to hear on GW/GULC? Best of luck! I'm in DC too but opted to quit and go full time (mostly because I'm also a mom).

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
laotaipo wrote:
Congratulations!
Congrats on American!! Still waiting to hear on GW/GULC? Best of luck! I'm in DC too but opted to quit and go full time (mostly because I'm also a mom).
Thanks!
Yea, still waiting and will be for a while. Under performed by a chunk in December and I'm not confident my current score is enough so I've asked all other DC schools in T1 to hold for a Feb retake.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 pm

So I have 2 acceptances (one from a school I realistically don't want at this point and one I rather like) and one waitlist (disappointed, not surprised).
Definitely wondering if I should put in more apps even if just for scholarship negotiation (or if I can get Husbeast to commit to other areas?)
Colorado is an option, but I know Husbeast won't touch California. Mostly because of fires, mudslides, earthquakes, etc.

The one I like is nice. It would end up being ~18K/year for tuition, fees, insurance (after scholarship, no stips). But then add in cost of books. Cost of living is somewhat moot as Husbeast will be working full time and I figure we'll have some $ from selling our house to cover rent while living very modestly. I. Need. Money.

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

DorkothyParker wrote:

I see you fellow 30-something, URM, mom who drinks (responsibly ;) ) Are you applying this cycle? I'd love to follow your cycle, if so. I'm keeping fairly regional, but it's still fun!
Yep! My info is on LSN. Same user name. I was in a non ABA program at one point so I'm hoping it doesn't impact my chances. Checking apps has taken up too much of my life. :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Don't worry about the non-ABA program, Aspire. I was in one too and specifically asked all the schools I applied to whether it would be a problem and they said it wouldn't be.

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks for that! Two acceptances and 1 waitlist. Despite my numbers, I really want T14.

ThisIsMe86

New

Post by ThisIsMe86 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi everyone! Checking in! Fellow old fart. 30’s, no kids except for my 3 dogs, husband is active duty military so I’m trying to stay in a general region for school, but we are open to geo-batching if need be. Submitted my apps over the holidays so I’m waiting to hear from most schools. I’ve heard back from 2 schools so far, both acceptances so that’s exciting, but neither are my top choices so I’m still anxiously awaiting the rest.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Honestly thinking about retaking the LSAT and reapplying next cycle - although the only thing that concerns me is I'll be 35 when reapplying and hypothetically graduating at 38.... Cycle is not complete, but just a general trend I'm seeing.... Status updated in my profile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”