Visits Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bobloblaw21

New

Visits

Post by bobloblaw21 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone had tips on how best to handle a law school visit. I have already been on a couple of visits and found them personally useful (sat in on classes, went to some admissions seminars, took tours, etc.), but I want to know if there is anything I can do to make them more advantageous for my chances of admission.

Is it good to meet someone in admissions? At this point in the cycle, I don't really have any questions that I feel need to be answered by admissions people so, if I did meet with them, I don't know what I would talk about really. Is it better not to meet with them since I have nothing to say or to meet them and literally just introduce myself/say "Hey, I love your school so much! Thanks for letting me visit!"

To me, the second option just seems kind of obnoxious and if an applicant did that to me, I'd be like, "Great. Go away, please." But I've heard from many people that school visits can help "create a positive impression" for admissions people. So, 1) do you guys think that people really remember you by name and get enough of an impression for it to substantially affect your admissions chances?, and 2) if they do, do you have any tips on how to make a good impression/what to talk about in a potential meeting?

Help!

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Visits

Post by icechicken » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Visiting isn't going to be much of a factor for admissions in general, although it can help on the margins, especially for avoiding yield-protection. (Actually having been to Ithaca makes one's "I love Ithaca" addendum a lot more believable.) They can be useful, of course, but not really for that reason.

I definitely wouldn't schedule an appointment just for the sake of doing so, if only because it's impolite to waste somebody's time like that. Show up with at least a few token questions.

proteinshake

Gold

Re: Visits

Post by proteinshake » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:27 pm

UVA definitely cares about visits

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”