Am I applying to too few schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BeatTheMets

New

Am I applying to too few schools?

Post by BeatTheMets » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 am

Currently applying to Northwestern, Georgetown, Wash U, BU, BC, GW, and Fordham. 3.61 GPA from a top 20 school (it's one of the law schools I'm applying to) with a 165 LSAT. Definitely not retaking the LSAT; I wanted to take it in June but couldn't because of work and studying for the September test was tough enough. Between long hours at work and studying I'm way too burnt out to retake in December and don't want to wait another cycle. What do you think my chances are at the schools I've listed? I feel like Fordham is a safety, BU/BC/GW are targets and Northwestern/Georgetown/Wash U are reaches. Any other schools I should add to the list? Currently in NYC but would like to get out, preferably to Boston/DC/Chicago.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Re: Am I applying to too few schools?

Post by jacketyellow » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 am

BeatTheMets wrote:Currently applying to Northwestern, Georgetown, Wash U, BU, BC, GW, and Fordham. 3.61 GPA from a top 20 school (it's one of the law schools I'm applying to) with a 165 LSAT. Definitely not retaking the LSAT; I wanted to take it in June but couldn't because of work and studying for the September test was tough enough. Between long hours at work and studying I'm way too burnt out to retake in December and don't want to wait another cycle. What do you think my chances are at the schools I've listed? I feel like Fordham is a safety, BU/BC/GW are targets and Northwestern/Georgetown/Wash U are reaches. Any other schools I should add to the list? Currently in NYC but would like to get out, preferably to Boston/DC/Chicago.
I don't think you should limit yourself to just those schools. You could probably get into the T10-14 range and use scholarships at the T20 to negotiate.

BeatTheMets

New

Post by BeatTheMets » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:32 am

jacketyellow wrote:
BeatTheMets wrote:Currently applying to Northwestern, Georgetown, Wash U, BU, BC, GW, and Fordham. 3.61 GPA from a top 20 school (it's one of the law schools I'm applying to) with a 165 LSAT. Definitely not retaking the LSAT; I wanted to take it in June but couldn't because of work and studying for the September test was tough enough. Between long hours at work and studying I'm way too burnt out to retake in December and don't want to wait another cycle. What do you think my chances are at the schools I've listed? I feel like Fordham is a safety, BU/BC/GW are targets and Northwestern/Georgetown/Wash U are reaches. Any other schools I should add to the list? Currently in NYC but would like to get out, preferably to Boston/DC/Chicago.
I don't think you should limit yourself to just those schools. You could probably get into the T10-14 range and use scholarships at the T20 to negotiate.
I hear you but I ultimately want to end up in NY/DC/Boston/Chicago which rules out Texas and Berkeley. I also value being in a real urban area which makes me hesitant about Duke and Cornell. Also I feel like my grades are a little below par for T10-14 which is why I have Northwestern as a reach.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
I think everything you said is way too optimistic.

BeatTheMets

New

Post by BeatTheMets » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Rigo wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
I think everything you said is way too optimistic.
Me (OP) or jacketyellow?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:01 pm

BeatTheMets wrote: Me (OP) or jacketyellow?
jacketyellow. T20 is even a reach for you and I doubt T14 is going to happen.
Your list seems fine. Maybe think about adding a true "safety" where you'll get a lot of money like Cardozo or UIUC (although you seem east coast centric despite saying Chicago, so maybe not).

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Rigo wrote:
Your list seems fine. Maybe think about adding a true "safety" where you'll get a lot of money like Cardozo or UIUC (although you seem east coast centric despite saying Chicago, so maybe not).
More in the reach/target list, I'd also consider Vanderbilt (very reach, but less so than NW), Notre Dame, W&L, and W&M. I generally agree with Rigo's assessment.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:23 pm

What are your career goals?

I get that you don't want to wait a cycle, but the top end of your list is not happening. And if you have career goals that aren't really reachable without a degree from one of those schools, then you need to get a better LSAT and apply later.

BeatTheMets

New

Post by BeatTheMets » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Rigo wrote:
I'm definitely more East Coast centric. Born and raised in NY and would like to be somewhat close to family, hence Boston and DC. How would you rate my chances for each of BU/BC/GW/Fordham in terms of target, reach or safety?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm

You're putting the cart before the horse. You need to focus more on your career goals rather than what city you want to go to law school in; not that the latter isn't important to you, it's just not important for receiving the advice you're seeking without referring to the former.

BeatTheMets

New

Post by BeatTheMets » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 pm

OP here. I should also add that I'm interested in labor & employment law. Don't know if that makes a huge difference.

TheBlueDevil

New

Post by TheBlueDevil » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 pm

BeatTheMets wrote: I hear you but I ultimately want to end up in NY/DC/Boston/Chicago which rules out Texas and Berkeley. I also value being in a real urban area which makes me hesitant about Duke and Cornell. Also I feel like my grades are a little below par for T10-14 which is why I have Northwestern as a reach.
I wouldn't go as far as calling Durham urban, but the Triangle actually has quite a bit going on. FWIW I'm from a big Northern city, so I was a bit skeptical about North Carolina. But I was very pleasantly surprised. And, in any case, it's only three years and between the low cost of living and the scholarship they offered, I think it was well worth it. It's definitely a lot less rural than Cornell or UVA. You shouldn't rule it out without at least visiting.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:49 pm

BeatTheMets wrote:OP here. I should also add that I'm interested in labor & employment law. Don't know if that makes a huge difference.
It does if that means that you want to work for a smaller labor & employment firm in Boston vs. the ERISA practice group at a large firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BeatTheMets

New

Post by BeatTheMets » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
BeatTheMets wrote:OP here. I should also add that I'm interested in labor & employment law. Don't know if that makes a huge difference.
It does if that means that you want to work for a smaller labor & employment firm in Boston vs. the ERISA practice group at a large firm.
I'm more concerned with opportunities for labor & employment law in each city, small vs. big firm isn't my primary concern at this point. Are there enough opportunities with small l&e firms in Boston?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 pm

BeatTheMets wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I'm more concerned with opportunities for labor & employment law in each city, small vs. big firm isn't my primary concern at this point. Are there enough opportunities with small l&e firms in Boston?
Just spitballing here, but isn’t that something you should look into before spending 3 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars on law school?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Mullens wrote:
BeatTheMets wrote:I'm more concerned with opportunities for labor & employment law in each city, small vs. big firm isn't my primary concern at this point. Are there enough opportunities with small l&e firms in Boston?
Just spitballing here, but isn’t that something you should look into before spending 3 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars on law school?
In addition to this, why isn't the size of the firm your primary concern? The type of work you do in this sector is going to be heavily influenced by the type of job you're aiming for. And the issue right now is that you're not applying to enough schools that will give you a full scholarship, which you'll need if you want to start at a small firm in Boston, in order to avoid having half your income go to paying off loans.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Just retake the LSAT & then we’ll talk about where to apply. I’m not just saying the cliche thing to say, pls retake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”