EMS volunteering Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ISue4U

New

EMS volunteering

Post by ISue4U » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am

Hello,

This is my first post on these forums. I hope to resolve a great deal of questions about law during my time here.

I currently serve on a volunteer EMS squad at my undergraduate institution. Originally my plan was to pursue medicine but I have since been pulled closer and closer to law.

My question is should I continue to invest my time and health into this extracurricular? The only aspect of "law" incorporated into it that I find enjoyable is writing the post-patient care reports accurately without legal loopholes.

I'm planning on having well over 500 hours of service by the time I graduate at the current rate.

Opportunities for growth include promotion to chief, deputy chief, human resources, etc.

Thanks.

icechicken

Bronze

Re: EMS volunteering

Post by icechicken » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:05 am

It sounds like you get a lot out of it, so keep on doing it. Non-academic work is only a soft factor so don't really worry about whether it (or anything else you could be doing with that time) is going to help or hinder your law-school applications. You can probably write a great personal statement based on your experiences.

That said, your undergraduate GPA is very important. If you think you could get better grades by reducing your involvement in extracurriculars, and you're sure you want to go to law school, then doing so is almost always the right call.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 am

Doesn't matter whatsoever. If you enjoy it, keep doing it.

User007

New

Post by User007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 pm

ISue4U wrote:Hello,

This is my first post on these forums. I hope to resolve a great deal of questions about law during my time here.

I currently serve on a volunteer EMS squad at my undergraduate institution. Originally my plan was to pursue medicine but I have since been pulled closer and closer to law.

My question is should I continue to invest my time and health into this extracurricular? The only aspect of "law" incorporated into it that I find enjoyable is writing the post-patient care reports accurately without legal loopholes.

I'm planning on having well over 500 hours of service by the time I graduate at the current rate.

Opportunities for growth include promotion to chief, deputy chief, human resources, etc.

Thanks.
My work and volunteer experience before law school was very similar to what you are asking about - feel free to message me if you have any specific questions or want to talk more.

My own take - at least for me, it wasn't a significant factor in admissions, but it can help for future job interviews. It's probably an opportunity for leadership experience, which can be helpful as something to talk about in interviews. More importantly, if you enjoy it, keep doing it while you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”