Getting Into a Top 10 Law School with an Online Undergrad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TRH189

New

Getting Into a Top 10 Law School with an Online Undergrad?

Post by TRH189 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 am

Here's my dilemma, I have a 3.8 GPA from Regent University, a 170 LSAT and 10 years of work experience, ranging from military service to working as a litigation paralegal. Despite these numbers, I am fearful that since I obtained my degree online that HYS and other top law schools will not accept me. Can anyone relate? Has anyone experience something similar?

NavyNuke

Bronze

Re: Getting Into a Top 10 Law School with an Online Undergrad?

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:58 am

TRH189 wrote:Here's my dilemma, I have a 3.8 GPA from Regent University, a 170 LSAT and 10 years of work experience, ranging from military service to working as a litigation paralegal. Despite these numbers, I am fearful that since I obtained my degree online that HYS and other top law schools will not accept me. Can anyone relate? Has anyone experience something similar?
Same GPA, worse LSAT, completed my degree online while in military. In at Duke so far this cycle. I don't think you will have any troubles securing a T14. HYS with those numbers isn't that likely regardless of where you got your degree. Best of luck!

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
TRH189 wrote:Here's my dilemma, I have a 3.8 GPA from Regent University, a 170 LSAT and 10 years of work experience, ranging from military service to working as a litigation paralegal. Despite these numbers, I am fearful that since I obtained my degree online that HYS and other top law schools will not accept me. Can anyone relate? Has anyone experience something similar?
Same GPA, worse LSAT, completed my degree online while in military. In at Duke so far this cycle. I don't think you will have any troubles securing a T14. HYS with those numbers isn't that likely regardless of where you got your degree. Best of luck!
I have similar numbers and an online degree earned while on active duty. I included a brief paragraph in my PS explaining that I was working full time in undergrad to explain why I didn't go to a brick and mortar school.

TRH189

New

Post by TRH189 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:21 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
Nice! What other schools did you apply to?

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 pm

TRH189 wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:
Nice! What other schools did you apply to?
Blanketed T14 plus a bunch of safeties because I was worried about how the online undergrad would play. Also in at UGA and UCLA as of now. I would apply as early as you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nalls96

New

Post by nalls96 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm so glad you asked this because honestly I was thinking the same. I do online through Liberty. Ik that other online schools like Kaplan and University of Phonex won't be considered because they aren't regionally accredited.

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 pm

No offense to you fine military men, but every time I look over and edit my first sergeants god awful assignments/papers (he's working towards a Bachelor's from some online accredited school), and then see his final grade, I punch myself in the face for not getting an online degree.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:01 pm

MichiganHoosier wrote:
No offense to you fine military men, but every time I look over and edit my first sergeants god awful assignments/papers (he's working towards a Bachelor's from some online accredited school), and then see his final grade, I punch myself in the face for not getting an online degree.
first sergeant's*

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:30 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
MichiganHoosier wrote:
first sergeant's*
Touché. Don't get me wrong, that wasn't necessarily targeted at your institution (there are a lot of great online schools), but in particular the one that he is taking courses through. Which is a very common one, at least in the Army.

TRH189

New

Post by TRH189 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:33 pm

UPDATE: So, I took it upon myself to call the admissions offices at the big three. Here is what each of them had to say in regards to online undergrads.

Harvard: "As long as your degree is from a regionally accredited institution, you should be fine."

Yale: "If your degree is regionally accredited, that's all that matters."

Stanford (the most helpful of the bunch): Yes! If it is from a regionally accredited school you may apply, and we do not frown upon online degrees."

Well there it is. Oddly enough, I still have doubts about my chances, even if I had numbers above their 75th percentiles.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”