Which soft should I consider? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Liberal Theory

New

Which soft should I consider?

Post by Liberal Theory » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm applying KJD next year. Before I do that though I am taking a look at my futue application so far and, LSAT/GPA notwithstanding, I am trying to determine which soft would look better for applying to T14 schools. I think I know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to run it by TLS first I hope.

I have been working at a large department store chain ever since I began college two years ago for about over 20 hours a week on average. It's the only thing keeping me debt-free through undergraduate.

I am now seriously considering trying out for my university's Moot Court team. They're supposed to be in the top 10 in the country. If I got on their team I would take it seriously and need to devote some serious time to preparing for it and traveling and practicing. It also is supposed to be a good opportunity to rub elbows with real judges and attorneys, most importantly. The caveat to doing this though would require me to basically quit my job though, which would make me take out a few thousand dollars in loans, and perhaps even worse stifle any chance of me making an argument that I have work experience.

I feel like I should keep my job, I'm terrified of debt as it is and I do have a legal internship on my resume, but that's about all I got for relevant experience.

What would you do?

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: Which soft should I consider?

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Keep your job. Being able to know how to work in the real world, even if it's "just retail" is a unique experience in and of itself that you can spin in applications.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Last edited by rachelac on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberal Theory

New

Post by Liberal Theory » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:34 pm

Platopus wrote:
rachelac wrote:Absolutely keep your job! Being a member of a Moot Court or Mock Trial team is super typical and doesn't stand out at all unless maybe you personally are winning national level awards, which would be almost impossible with a single year of experience (and happen after apps are due anyway). Honestly neither of those things helps you out that much, so you might as well remain debt-free.
I am going to agree with this. There is nothing impressive about collegiate mock trial and you will likely learn nothing. I did it for 4 years and all I learned is that the attorneys that coach these things are lonely. Keep your job and your sanity.
I'm inclined to believe you. However, if mock trial is typical would it possibly be alarming that I don't have at least that? Being a cashier for 3.5 years less than full time and interning for a solo lawyer as my only softs, not including high school "pre-pre-law" BS can't be that good compared to other T14 applications.

And also it sounds like I would love it. Appellate and litigation work is what I can only hope to get into as a real attorney in the future. And it would be a fun, stimulating mental exercise if nothing else to work on constitutional arguments and write and speak like like a lawywer even before law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 am

Lol @ mock trial.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:38 am

I echo everyone here. A single year of mock trial will not do anything to stand out. Conversely, over three years of dedicated work in the real world while you are a student shows commitment, independence, and time management ability. Stay out of debt because law school is mind blowingly expensive.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 am

Whatever decision you make is extremely unlikely to affect your admissions outcomes. Choose whichever will actually be more beneficial for you (which, it sounds like, would be keeping the job).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 am

MrAdultman wrote:Whatever decision you make is extremely unlikely to affect your admissions outcomes. Choose whichever will actually be more beneficial for you (which, it sounds like, would be keeping the job).
Ideally though you would do something grown up like working in a business factory.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 am

JFC, just do something you find rewarding/interesting and stop trying to craft your life to an application. I promise that literally no one in admissions will give a damn, regardless of what you do.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:19 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
MrAdultman wrote:Whatever decision you make is extremely unlikely to affect your admissions outcomes. Choose whichever will actually be more beneficial for you (which, it sounds like, would be keeping the job).
Ideally though you would do something grown up like working in a business factory.
I cracked up at work when I read this, glad my office was empty. Thank you :lol:

Now, back to doing a business...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”