Employer Recommendations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
user2139

New

Employer Recommendations

Post by user2139 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:56 pm

I work as a paralegal at a large New York Law Firm, and am planning to ask one of the attorneys I work closely with for a letter of recommendation. I have narrowed it down to a few potential recommenders. Will it confer any benefit to my application to have a recommendation from a partner rather than an associate (assuming that I work less closely with the partner in question)? Further, will it confer any benefit to have letters from recommenders who are alumni of particular law schools that I am applying to? Thanks.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Re: Employer Recommendations

Post by theconsigliere » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:53 pm

I doubt a letter will be weighted more heavily just because it comes from a partner rather than an associate. The important thing is what the letter actually says and how much praise the writer gives you, so go with the person who knows you and your work better and will be able to write a stronger letter.

Having a letter from an alum can't hurt, obviously, but it probably won't help much, either. Unless maybe if the person in question is a huge donor and very connected with the school

cavalier1138

Re: Employer Recommendations

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Nope.

And if you've only been out of school for a year, not having two academic LORs will actually play negatively, even if you get the world's most prestigious partner to write a recommendation for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”