Political Aspirations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrLions

New

Political Aspirations

Post by MrLions » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Would law schools be more likely to admit someone with slightly below 25th percentile GPA and LSAT if they had reason to believe that person would be a future Congressman? If so, what type of accomplishments would lead an ad com to believe this?

Ideas:
Current political office holders (state house/senate)
Student body Presidents at large schools (UCLA, Ohio State, UT)
Student body Presidents at prestigious schools (Pomona, Williams, Swarthmore)

If an applicant is one of the above, is it worth tailoring your application to give off the impression of political aspirations to earn a boost at t-13?

Delano

New

Re: Political Aspirations

Post by Delano » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:51 pm

No and no.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Pretty sure they're more likely to admit you if they have reason to believe you want to be an attorney.

(No. This isn't going to give you a boost.)

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm confused, you're a current state house/senate member?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:07 pm

lol
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Thank you. I was bored, and this was the boost I needed.

FloridaGator95

New

Post by FloridaGator95 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm

It's awesome that you want to go into politics! Sadly, that will not be something law schools consider when they are making admission decisions.

Also, this post kind of gives me the vibe that you're either: 1) in the process of selecting an undergrad institution; or 2) thinking about getting super involved with Student Government at your school. I also understand both of these possibilities may well be incorrect. If the first, don't select an undergrad institution because of its size/reputation of its Student Government. I promise you that does not matter at all. If the second, definitely get involved in organizations/clubs that interest/grow you--but make sure you keep school #1. LSAT & GPA = everything. Softs come well after those two factors. I have many friends in Student Government at my large SEC school, and they do SO much with it that they have a hard time maintaining their GPA's. Do not fall into this category if attending a prestigious law school is your goal.

Best of luck!

Gordon_Cole

New

Post by Gordon_Cole » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:07 pm

MrLions wrote:Would law schools be more likely to admit someone with slightly below 25th percentile GPA and LSAT if they had reason to believe that person would be a future Congressman? If so, what type of accomplishments would lead an ad com to believe this?

Ideas:
Current political office holders (state house/senate)
Student body Presidents at large schools (UCLA, Ohio State, UT)
Student body Presidents at prestigious schools (Pomona, Williams, Swarthmore)

If an applicant is one of the above, is it worth tailoring your application to give off the impression of political aspirations to earn a boost at t-13?
If you are actually a current office holder, I'd say it would give you some boost. However, if you are currently a state rep, I don't know why you'd want to leave that office to go back to grad school and - in doing so - loose all your momentum and contacts that would allow you to run for national office. Thus, I suspect that you're not actually a state rep. If you're a student body president, it can't hurt, but I suspect that you're not going to significantly outperform your numbers.

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:09 pm

It didn't work for Ferris, so I would guess not...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”