What are the tiers? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jriveraCAL2017

New

What are the tiers?

Post by jriveraCAL2017 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:18 am

Like what are the tier cutoffs? Is tier 1 classified as 1-14, and tier two as 15-25, and so on orrr how does this work?

stego

Platinum

Re: What are the tiers?

Post by stego » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:44 am

Tier 1 is the top 50 or so, tier 2 is 51-100, tier 3 is 101+. The rankings stop at 148, and tier 4 are the "rank not published" schools.

The rankings can mislead because they don't show the amount of separation between schools (the distance between 1 and 14 is much greater than the one between 81 and 94 for example). Also rankings are unimportant when comparing regional schools that serve different markets, it's a semi-useful heuristic but what you should actually pay attention to are the cost of attendance and employment data.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:02 am

They are the things that come out of your eyes on gray/grey day.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:28 am

When it comes to rankings, all that actually matters is the t13. Other schools should be decided upon based on a combination of employment outcomes, cost of attendance, and potentially regional concerns. Check out LST reports for all of the above.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 am

chandhi wrote:They are the things that come out of your eyes on gray/grey day.
TCR. Can be of joy or depression.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 am

The rankings that matter the most are ranking the schools within a state or market. The following site's probably best for comparing the schools within a particular state in a vaccum.

http://law-schools.startclass.com/

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:The rankings that matter the most are ranking the schools within a state or market. The following site's probably best for comparing the schools within a particular state in a vaccum.

While your first statement is pretty much correct regarding schools outside the T14/13, the site you posted is certainly not the best for comparing schools in any sense. OP, I would recommend http://www.lstreports.com. It takes ABA reported employment numbers and presents them in an easily analyzed format. Use the compare tool to place employment statistics for schools side by side. You can choose to do this for schools within the same state, or not. And Stego's statement about employment being more important than tiers is TCR.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Malarkey wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:The rankings that matter the most are ranking the schools within a state or market. The following site's probably best for comparing the schools within a particular state in a vaccum.

While your first statement is pretty much correct regarding schools outside the T14/13, the site you posted is certainly not the best for comparing schools in any sense. OP, I would recommend http://www.lstreports.com. It takes ABA reported employment numbers and presents them in an easily analyzed format. Use the compare tool to place employment statistics for schools side by side. You can choose to do this for schools within the same state, or not. And Stego's statement about employment being more important than tiers is TCR.
That startclass site ranks University of Wisconsin at number 16... two spots behind Penn at 14. No disrespect to Wisco, but come on now

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 pm

mrtux45 wrote:
Malarkey wrote:

That startclass site ranks University of Wisconsin at number 16... two spots behind Penn at 14. No disrespect to Wisco, but come on now
Yeah, what the fuck did I just look at? OP, if you're still actually around, look at employment numbers, not whatever the hell that site was using.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:The following site's probably best for comparing the schools within a particular state in a vaccum.

This website says USC is better than Berkeley. Is this site really better than USNWR? Why?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Insaid it was good for comparing schools in a state vaccum. I didnt say its national rankings werent an lol.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Insaid it was good for comparing schools in a state vaccum. I didnt say its national rankings werent an lol.
But it's not even good at that.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Insaid it was good for comparing schools in a state vaccum. I didnt say its national rankings werent an lol.
but its CA rankings are

1. Stanford
2. USC
3. ULCA
4. Berk

so how is it good at comparing schools in a state vacuum? There's not way you're saying USC is better than Berk if you want to work in Cali, right? If it can't even get the largest state's top school rankings right, why should someone trust it to accurately compare the possible 6th and 7th best schools in a smaller state?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:00 pm

and its NY rankings are

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. literally St. Johns is number 4, above Fordham, Dozo, etc

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:09 pm

guybourdin wrote:and its NY rankings are

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
JFC.

What are their criteria? I didn't spend much time looking, but I couldn't figure out what their methodology was.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:10 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
JFC.

What are their criteria? I didn't spend much time looking, but I couldn't figure out what their methodology was.
[+] Spoiler
The smart rank uses statistical data to determine an overall indication of the school's quality. This includes admissions selectivity, bar exam performance, employment rate, financial aid, student-faculty ratio, and attrition.
:lol:

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:12 pm

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
Gawt dayum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:15 pm

guybourdin wrote:The smart rank uses statistical data to determine an overall indication of the school's quality. This includes admissions selectivity, bar exam performance, employment rate, financial aid, student-faculty ratio, and attrition.
As opposed to non-statistical data, of course.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Figured out why he likes those rankings: QU is ranked higher than UConn.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:24 pm

guybourdin wrote:
but its CA rankings are

1. Stanford
2. USC
3. ULCA
4. Berk

so how is it good at comparing schools in a state vacuum? There's not way you're saying USC is better than Berk if you want to work in Cali, right? If it can't even get the largest state's top school rankings right, why should someone trust it to accurately compare the possible 6th and 7th best schools in a smaller state?
Havent looked at it in awhile maybe it changed,wtf. I cant see it currently cause its anti ad block.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:24 pm

guybourdin wrote:Figured out why he likes those rankings: QU is ranked higher than UConn.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 pm

guybourdin wrote:Figured out why he likes those rankings: QU is ranked higher than UConn.
QU was not ranked higher than UCONN.

Edit-checked on my phone and yeah the rankings are all out of fucking wack. I withdraw the recommendation it was from previous experience with the site.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
well, it is now

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
well, it is now

Yes I can see that, that is incorrect and I do not agree. Tbf though it still could be a useful tool if you just click the median LSAT button(which sorts schools accordingly).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Yes I can see that, that is incorrect and I do not agree. Tbf though it still could be a useful tool if you just click the median LSAT button(which sorts schools accordingly).
Yes, that would be useful for sorting schools by their median LSAT. Sorting them by their employment numbers might make more sense...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”