Best schools for my family needs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
juliegirl

New

Best schools for my family needs

Post by juliegirl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:10 am

HI! So I'm halfway through my admissions...and I'm applying to practically everywhere. I got fee waivers to a bunch of places (yes I know the conspiracy theory about these) so I thought, why not apply for my own peace of mind? I've applied to schools that are FAR reaches for my LSAT, several small reaches, several within my range, and a couple below my range (with good reputations and great scholarship programs).

I have a 161 LSAT, a 3.977 UGPA from a small Midwestern unknown school, BUT I took some of the more advanced classes, have a double major and a 4.0 in both majors. My reccs say all the magic words-- one says "she is absolutely the hardest worker I've ever met" one says "she's one of three students I've taught of of several thousand with this record of achievement" etc, etc. I have strong extracurriculars: internship for a judge, treasurer of a state student organization, several honors societies, some prestigious communication awards, and a strong debate record. Oh, and I'm a minority, but besides marking it on the application, I have no ethnic stories to tell.

My admission essay revolves around my whole reason for wanting to go to law school: being a single mom who got pregnant at a young age and wants to go into public interest family law.

That being said, one of my top concerns about going to law school is (1) going to a good school BUT (2) living in an area that is a good environment to raise a family.

SO.... with this background, do any schools stand out to you that I should apply to?

xikzhao

New

Post by xikzhao » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:28 pm

I know I am biased, but the University of Minnesota is a great law school (T-20) and the Twin Cities is a great place to live and raise a family (if you want to stay in the Midwest). I moved up from Kansas after high school for college and decided to stay. If you apply early in the admissions cycle, your index should be good enough to get in. Also, I've heard good things about Wisconsin. And Madison is great. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

jonas

Bronze

West Coast suggestions

Post by jonas » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:19 pm

If you're open to the idea of going west, you should absolutely consider Portland, Oregon. It's my hometown, so I'm biased. But its quality of life is pretty hard to beat. Portland is beautiful, vibrant, bustling, and very affordable. I don't know whether you're considering Lewis & Clark Law School (Portland's only law school), but if you are, I bet you and your family would love living there. (I'd move back to Portland in a heartbeat, but L&C doesn't appeal to me, mostly because I went there as an undergrad.)

Also consider the Bay Area. You sound like somebody Boalt Hall might like. (Ken can obviously say more about this than I can.) Berkeley's quality of life is also very high, with much better weather than Portland. Kids are everywhere, great farmers' markets, good schools, etc. It's an expensive town, though. (You might also consider USF, whose public interest program is, I understand, very well regarded. And I bet you'd be a shoo-in there.)

Right now, I live in Eugene, OR, home to the University of Oregon. Eugene's another good place for kids, with lots of outdoors activities nearby -- skiing, hiking, the Pacific -- and nice parks everywhere you look. The town itself is kind of dull, though. (But I'm speaking as a 24-year-old childless guy, not a parent.) UO's law school has a good reputation in this region, although it might not be a great choice for someone who's not planning to stay in the Pacific Northwest or Northern California to start his/her career.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

gcu22

New

Post by gcu22 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:13 pm

I agree with jonas. Lewis and Clark is a solid school, and Portland is a wonderful and safe city.

I am not applying to Lewis and Clark soley because it doesn't have the type of law I want to practice(intl./human rights, etc.). For a 161 and your gpa they should give you a scholarship as well there.

You should at the very least check it out.

IF the pacific northwest is too far away for you, Iowa is a top 25 school which you could get into, and Iowa City is quiet and nice.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Best schools for my family needs

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:43 pm

juliegirl wrote:HI! So I'm halfway through my admissions...and I'm applying to practically everywhere. I got fee waivers to a bunch of places (yes I know the conspiracy theory about these) so I thought, why not apply for my own peace of mind? I've applied to schools that are FAR reaches for my LSAT, several small reaches, several within my range, and a couple below my range (with good reputations and great scholarship programs).

I have a 161 LSAT, a 3.977 UGPA from a small Midwestern unknown school, BUT I took some of the more advanced classes, have a double major and a 4.0 in both majors. My reccs say all the magic words-- one says "she is absolutely the hardest worker I've ever met" one says "she's one of three students I've taught of of several thousand with this record of achievement" etc, etc. I have strong extracurriculars: internship for a judge, treasurer of a state student organization, several honors societies, some prestigious communication awards, and a strong debate record. Oh, and I'm a minority, but besides marking it on the application, I have no ethnic stories to tell.

My admission essay revolves around my whole reason for wanting to go to law school: being a single mom who got pregnant at a young age and wants to go into public interest family law.

That being said, one of my top concerns about going to law school is (1) going to a good school BUT (2) living in an area that is a good environment to raise a family.

SO.... with this background, do any schools stand out to you that I should apply to?
Law school is only 3 years. Considering the economy, I'd go to the best school I can and then branch out when looking for a place to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 pm

jonas wrote:If you're open to the idea of going west, ...Also consider the Bay Area.
I think Davis may be a good place for you. The city is small and has a low crime rate (relative to other Bay Area cities of course). King hall has the reputation of a "mature" school, and it has solid public interest programs.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:52 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
jonas wrote:If you're open to the idea of going west, ...Also consider the Bay Area.
I think Davis may be a good place for you. The city is small and has a low crime rate (relative to other Bay Area cities of course). King hall has the reputation of a "mature" school, and it has solid public interest programs.
Law school is really so short that its a bit silly to prioritize this too heavily.

speedyj88

Bronze

Post by speedyj88 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:
Law school is really so short that its a bit silly to prioritize this too heavily.
Dude, what the hell are you doing? You bumped up over half a dozen threads from 4 years ago.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:55 pm

True on some levels. However, OP did not specify how old his/her child is, and where to live for three years means a lot to a teenager or young adolescent IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm

speedyj88 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:
Dude, what the hell are you doing? You bumped up over half a dozen threads from 4 years ago.
Dual desires to provide advice but not actually help anyone.

--ImageRemoved--

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 pm

speedyj88 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:
My life failed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”