P grade = 2.0 for LSDAS GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RunningThroughTheSix

New

P grade = 2.0 for LSDAS GPA?

Post by RunningThroughTheSix » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Trying to determine whether I should take a class S/NS (the equivalent of a voluntary P/F grading option at my school).

My school told me that law schools will characterize a NS as a 0.0 (which I know is the case), but also added that professional schools may automatically characterize an S as a 2.0.

I contacted LSAC seeking clarification on this matter and they were quite unhelpful, essentially telling me that they wouldn't know until they had my transcript in hand. How are you supposed to figure out whether to take a class S/NS then?

Anyways, has anyone experienced/heard of LSAC adversely characterizing a S/P grade from their university as an automatic 2.0?

LSRAT

Bronze

Re: P grade = 2.0 for LSDAS GPA?

Post by LSRAT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:24 pm

RunningThroughTheSix wrote:Trying to determine whether I should take a class S/NS (the equivalent of a voluntary P/F grading option at my school).

My school told me that law schools will characterize a NS as a 0.0 (which I know is the case), but also added that professional schools may automatically characterize an S as a 2.0.

I contacted LSAC seeking clarification on this matter and they were quite unhelpful, essentially telling me that they wouldn't know until they had my transcript in hand. How are you supposed to figure out whether to take a class S/NS then?

Anyways, has anyone experienced/heard of LSAC adversely characterizing a S/P grade from their university as an automatic 2.0?
They won't be calculated into your LSAC GPA. From the LSAC website: Passing grades from systems of one or two passing grades (e.g., Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, Credit/No Credit, or Honors/Pass/Fail, High Pass/Pass/Fail, and those for which conversion rules cannot be formulated, including courses for which a transcript gives only narratives or descriptions. Credits for the work in these courses are totaled and reported separately as unconverted credits. The only exception to this policy is for a reported grade below C-minus from a two-passing-grade grading system (e.g., Credit/D/Fail) when the issuing institution includes this grade in their calculation of a GPA.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: P grade = 2.0 for LSDAS GPA?

Post by Mikey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:32 am

P's (or S's for you) don't get calculated.

Some grad programs may look at a P as a D (according to what I have been told) but not law schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”