Taking June LSAT to get off waitlist/ increase scholly after placing seat deposit Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Eltreakol1234

New

Taking June LSAT to get off waitlist/ increase scholly after placing seat deposit

Post by Eltreakol1234 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 am

Current stats are 3.56/ 167. In at GW with 96k, WL at GULC. Took LSAT in September, I was PT-ing at 174-175. Messed up a logic game which ruined my score. If I took the June LSAT, I am confident I can get at least around a 172.

Assuming I score around there, what are my chances of getting off the GULC waitlist (preferably with money)? My GPA will also likely rise to 3.6 by then. In addition, what are the chances GW will up my scholly given my new scores, even though I will have paid all 3 seat deposits instalments by the time I get my new score?

Any help would be appreciated

cavalier1138

Re: Taking June LSAT to get off waitlist/ increase scholly after placing seat deposit

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:46 am

If you can break 170, these should not be your goal schools (especially not without a full ride). It's possible you get in and/or get some money, but if you really bump your score up 4-5 points, you'd be much better off reapplying next cycle.

Eltreakol1234

New

Re: Taking June LSAT to get off waitlist/ increase scholly after placing seat deposit

Post by Eltreakol1234 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am

I know that with a 172 I can aim higher than GW or GULC, but I am set on DC. Either school with a full ride would be best case scenario for me.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:05 am

I don't think a good money off the waitlist is going to happen.
Are you prepared to walk away and apply next year?

Eltreakol1234

New

Post by Eltreakol1234 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

Depends. If I score around a 172 and GULC won't give me any kind of decent money AND GW won't budge on the current scholly then I'll sit out and wait. But say if GW ups my scholly to 120k+ (even though I would likely get more if I re-applied next cycle) I would take it, because it would put me in 30k total debt (thanks to help from my family), which to me is worth going to GW for.

I want to stay in DC post graduation and work in big
Law, and GWs biglaw numbers in DC are decent especially if the correlation between LSAT and first year grades holds for me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:18 am

Since you're open to waiting a year, sure go for it.
Do not take Georgetown with minimal money if you get off the waitlist.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 am

Eltreakol1234 wrote:Depends. If I score around a 172 and GULC won't give me any kind of decent money AND GW won't budge on the current scholly then I'll sit out and wait. But say if GW ups my scholly to 120k+ (even though I would likely get more if I re-applied next cycle) I would take it, because it would put me in 30k total debt (thanks to help from my family), which to me is worth going to GW for.

I want to stay in DC post graduation and work in big
Law, and GWs biglaw numbers in DC are decent especially if the correlation between LSAT and first year grades holds for me
What correlation are you talking about here? The statistics I've seen analyzed show very little correlation (correlation coefficient was 0.38 from the class of 2014 per LSAC) between LSAT and law school grades. That's a dangerous assumption that a correlation of ~0.4 means you'll more than likely be successful because your LSAT is slightly above your classmates. While LSAT is HUGE in determining the likelihood of getting into a given school and the attendant tuition discount, it means very little once you matriculate.

ETA: GW for only $30k debt isn't a bad choice, just wanted to make sure you're being realistic about your chances of getting Biglaw out of a place like GW. It can happen if things break right for you, but it's not statistically likely
Last edited by UVA2B on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 am

Yeah, going to GW on the assumption that you'll place well enough in the class to get biglaw is a bad move. DC biglaw is a tough nut to crack from anywhere, but a T6 school gives you a better shot than GW (or GULC, frankly).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”