Worth a Hail Mary to BC? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
radon5

New

Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Post by radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 pm

I applied a bit broadly but didn't realize until recently that Boston College would fit well with my interest of ending up in the Northeast. Would it be worth it to apply now before the 3/31 deadline? Stats are 3.7 160, which seems to be okay with their various percentiles.

I'm not big law or bust but would obviously work as hard as I could wherever I am to try to get big law. Primarily interested in business litigation and not really any PI tracks. Thanks.

Moneytrees

Silver

Re: Worth a Hail Mary to BC?

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 pm

radon5 wrote:I applied a bit broadly but didn't realize until recently that Boston College would fit well with my interest of ending up in the Northeast. Would it be worth it to apply now before the 3/31 deadline? Stats are 3.7 160, which seems to be okay with their various percentiles.

I'm not big law or bust but would obviously work as hard as I could wherever I am to try to get big law. Primarily interested in business litigation and not really any PI tracks. Thanks.
Probably not, since you would not get a good scholarship at this point of the cycle.

You have a great GPA, have you considered re-taking and re-applying next year? If you score a few more points higher on the LSAT you could be looking at a big scholarship from BC.

radon5

New

Post by radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
radon5 wrote:I applied a bit broadly but didn't realize until recently that Boston College would fit well with my interest of ending up in the Northeast. Would it be worth it to apply now before the 3/31 deadline? Stats are 3.7 160, which seems to be okay with their various percentiles.

Probably not, since you would not get a good scholarship at this point of the cycle.

You have a great GPA, have you considered re-taking and re-applying next year? If you score a few more points higher on the LSAT you could be looking at a big scholarship from BC.
Yeah, the money is why I wasn't sure. I've already taken twice and can't seem to crack it. But I'm thinking of retaking in June a third time to see if I can do better before committing to go somewhere in the fall.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Can't hurt to try but please do yourself a huge favor and reapply early in the Fall. I can see you being admitted with a significant amount of $.

radon5

New

Post by radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Can't hurt to try but please do yourself a huge favor and reapply early in the Fall. I can see you being admitted with a significant amount of $.
Thank you. Would you think that with my current stats or only if I got up to something like a 165+?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

radon5 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Can't hurt to try but please do yourself a huge favor and reapply early in the Fall. I can see you being admitted with a significant amount of $.
Thank you. Would you think that with my current stats or only if I got up to something like a 165+?
You currently have accept/waitlist numbers right now. I think that if you applied right now, you'll be waitlisted. If you applied with the same stats in October, you'll be accepted with some scholarship.

Not even 165+, even if you get a 163, which is only like 4 more correct answers on the LSAT, you'll get a SIGNIFICANT scholarship bump.

radon5

New

Post by radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
radon5 wrote:
You currently have accept/waitlist numbers right now. I think that if you applied right now, you'll be waitlisted. If you applied with the same stats in October, you'll be accepted with some scholarship.

Not even 165+, even if you get a 163, which is only like 4 more correct answers on the LSAT, you'll get a SIGNIFICANT scholarship bump.
Well that seems doable with the chunk of time I have between now and June. Shoot for higher obviously but know even a 163 would do me a lot of favors. Should've thought of all this sooner.

radon5

New

Post by radon5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Separate thought but does BC have any placement power in NYC? I've looked at the employment numbers I could find and figured that NYC big law out of BC is probably not in the cards, but what about mid to small size firms in NYC? If I'm missing employment data that would show me that, sorry. I was thinking the answer would be more based on anecdotal experience/knowledge

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Eh even if you snagged it, it'd be way too expensive.
If you want BC/BU or another strong northeast regional, you need to retake and reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 pm

radon5 wrote:Separate thought but does BC have any placement power in NYC? I've looked at the employment numbers I could find and figured that NYC big law out of BC is probably not in the cards, but what about mid to small size firms in NYC? If I'm missing employment data that would show me that, sorry. I was thinking the answer would be more based on anecdotal experience/knowledge
BC doesn't do great in NY but it might be due to self-selection. Most people at BC are looking to live in Boston or New England.

I wouldn't go to BC if the goal is to end up in NYC but with good grades (maybe top 25%, 20%) you'd have a shot at working in Manhattan.

Augy1

New

Post by Augy1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
radon5 wrote:Separate thought but does BC have any placement power in NYC? I've looked at the employment numbers I could find and figured that NYC big law out of BC is probably not in the cards, but what about mid to small size firms in NYC? If I'm missing employment data that would show me that, sorry. I was thinking the answer would be more based on anecdotal experience/knowledge
BC doesn't do great in NY but it might be due to self-selection. Most people at BC are looking to live in Boston or New England.

I wouldn't go to BC if the goal is to end up in NYC but with good grades (maybe top 25%, 20%) you'd have a shot at working in Manhattan.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? Also interested. Currently deciding between Fordham and BC. Anyone know why Fordham isn't even ranked on ATL?

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Augy1 wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:

Can anyone else shed some light on this? Also interested. Currently deciding between Fordham and BC. Anyone know why Fordham isn't even ranked on ATL?
Because ATL's ranking considers cost of attendance and Fordham has a really high cost of attendance.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

I applied on January 4th with a 161/3.6 and was waitlisted. If you apply now, I can almost guarantee that you will be WL. Retake the LSAT or reapply early next year. (I personally am considering both)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”