Early advice about application timing Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hypernormal

New

Early advice about application timing

Post by hypernormal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm a non-URM current college junior at a "public Ivy". LSAT 173, GPA around 3.85 by graduation. I applied early to Teach for America and got an offer that I'm planning on accepting, so I have at least three years until I enter law school. My question is whether or not I should apply next cycle with the intent to defer for two years, or wait longer to apply.

I wasn't planning on applying during the 2017-18 cycle until Harvard announced it would start accepting the GRE. I think that my numbers might put me in an unusually strong position this coming cycle given that HLS's LSAT median could easily rise from 172 back to 173, but I also see a lot of value in waiting to write my personal statement until I've had real work experience. Would I be missing an opportunity if I waited to apply to HLS until a few years from now? I'd also love to go to Y or S, but my chances are a lot slimmer there and their applications aren't changing dramatically like Harvard's is, so H is my focus in making the decision of when to apply. Any advice is appreciated.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Early advice about application timing

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Do TFA. Law school will be waiting for you on the other end.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:05 am

Don't apply and defer. Your priorities may change, and a 173 coupled with your GPA will always be golden.

hypernormal

New

Post by hypernormal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I feel a lot more confident about applying after TFA now.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 am

As long as that LSAT is still good when you apply, then do not do it now.

hypernormal

New

Post by hypernormal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 pm

jjcorvino wrote:As long as that LSAT is still good when you apply, then do not do it now.
Yeah, I took it this past September, so it's good well beyond my second year of TFA. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”