deleted Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigmistakes

New

deleted

Post by bigmistakes » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:09 am

Last edited by bigmistakes on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Dishonest on law school application resume

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:18 am

You could always submit your real resume (don't refer to it as an "update") and just note that you realized that you had erroneously left an entry on there that you had not intended. It'll be pretty transparent, but that's because you didn't lie subtly.

I think that's the best you can do. But you need to fix it now instead of letting the ABA find out later.

bigmistakes

New

Post by bigmistakes » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:37 am

Last edited by bigmistakes on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:20 am

I just read your edit...and maybe it's my lack of sleep or I'm missing something obvious lol, but that doesn't seem like that big of a deal? I mean, I would assume that many people are going to have workplaces on their resume from years prior to law school that have either shut down/gone out of business, etc. that would be difficult to verify. Unless you were being paid under the table? Or did you lead adcoms to believe it was some sort of official, full time position, not family related? Other than that, I think this is a potentially easily explainable 'mistake' depending on how you go about it.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 am

tinyvessels wrote:I just read your edit...and maybe it's my lack of sleep or I'm missing something obvious lol, but that doesn't seem like that big of a deal? I mean, I would assume that many people are going to have workplaces on their resume from years prior to law school that have either shut down/gone out of business, etc. that would be difficult to verify. Unless you were being paid under the table? Or did you lead adcoms to believe it was some sort of official, full time position, not family related? Other than that, I think this is a potentially easily explainable 'mistake' depending on how you go about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:35 am

We need more info after that edit. It could be totally fine, like if you said you were a project assistant at a small law firm your parents worked at for 25 hrs/wk one summer, but now I am imagining it was something awesome like

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION, Washington D.C. -- Special Assistant to the Deputy Director May 2015 - Present

in which case you should definitely do something about it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 am

tinyvessels wrote:I just read your edit...and maybe it's my lack of sleep or I'm missing something obvious lol, but that doesn't seem like that big of a deal? I mean, I would assume that many people are going to have workplaces on their resume from years prior to law school that have either shut down/gone out of business, etc. that would be difficult to verify. Unless you were being paid under the table? Or did you lead adcoms to believe it was some sort of official, full time position, not family related? Other than that, I think this is a potentially easily explainable 'mistake' depending on how you go about it.
I think, based on what the OP said initially, that they helped their parent at their parent's job. They didn't say that the business was no longer around, so the issue is that if someone were to actually call HR and ask, "Did [X] work for you during [time period]," the response would be, "We never employed anyone by the name of [X}."

And yes, making up shit on your resume is a serious offense. I know that the stereotype is that lawyers lie all the time, but dishonest behavior is actually punished pretty severely by the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”