Regarding soft factors Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pitter

New

Regarding soft factors

Post by pitter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 am

I am an American with a foreign BA degree. I have always been told that law school admission is pretty much a number game. Having a difficult major and since I actually enjoyed studying for my major, I spent most of my undergrad years studying, serving church community, and doing volunteer works( this was something that came out of my true aspiration for helping people but was nothing that special, limited to free tutoring)
I got 168 on my lsat last year after three months of preparation but considering the fact that I got constant 173+ in my prep tests, I am planning to take the June LSAT. I have high GPA ( straight As in my major courses) but the factor that really puts me into a difficult situation as far as admission is considered imo is my soft factor.
For applicants with non US ud, soft factors play a far more pivotal role since GPA loses its credentials as a factor in gauging one's compatibility in law school. For all these reasons, I am now considering different options in strengthening my softs. One safe option would be getting some work experience... However, what I really want is volunteering in Peace Corps as a educator. I have heard great things about Peace corps but as far as law school is considered would joining Peace Corps next year, spending 27 month and applying for law school when I am 28 be a prudent choice?

Or should I just work on my LSAT get a higher score and apply this cycle?

Thank you in advance! :D

cavalier1138

Re: Regarding soft factors

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:19 am

Work experience is always good, but the difference between a job that you perceive as more prestigious/admissions-friendly/whatever and just a regular job is negligible. No matter what, your reported GPA (which is usually on superior/above average/etc. scale) is going to be an issue, so getting the LSAT as high as you can is much more important.

So get the job you want, and make sure you have an LSAT score you're happy with.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Follow your passion and do PC. Have an incredible and enriching experience.
Law school will always be there. 28 is not too old.
Last edited by Rigo on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 pm

pitter wrote:I am an American with a foreign BA degree. I have always been told that law school admission is pretty much a number game. Having a difficult major and since I actually enjoyed studying for my major, I spent most of my undergrad years studying, serving church community, and doing volunteer works( this was something that came out of my true aspiration for helping people but was nothing that special, limited to free tutoring)
I got 168 on my lsat last year after three months of preparation but considering the fact that I got constant 173+ in my prep tests, I am planning to take the June LSAT. I have high GPA ( straight As in my major courses) but the factor that really puts me into a difficult situation as far as admission is considered imo is my soft factor.
For applicants with non US ud, soft factors play a far more pivotal role since GPA loses its credentials as a factor in gauging one's compatibility in law school. For all these reasons, I am now considering different options in strengthening my softs. One safe option would be getting some work experience... However, what I really want is volunteering in Peace Corps as a educator. I have heard great things about Peace corps but as far as law school is considered would joining Peace Corps next year, spending 27 month and applying for law school when I am 28 be a prudent choice?

Or should I just work on my LSAT get a higher score and apply this cycle?

Thank you in advance! :D
as someone who did teach for america and worked for a few years, i can definitely see that it has positively impacted which schools I get into vs. if I had applied straight out of college

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”