Apply now to Northwestern or wait for second letter of rec? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Back2California

New

Apply now to Northwestern or wait for second letter of rec?

Post by Back2California » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:18 am

Northwestern is one of the only schools I'm interested in that doesn't require two letters.

At this point, I have all my application materials ready with the exception of my second LOR. I know it's coming, but I don't expect it until the end of the month.

Should I just apply now with my first letter? Will it look really bad that I just have one?

I know it's probably rash, but I already feel so behind schedule in this whole process. I don't want to get dinged because i was too impatient to wait a few more weeks, but on the other hand I think it will feel really good to have at least one app completely finished.

cavalier1138

Re: Apply now to Northwestern or wait for second letter of rec?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 am

You're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either the adcomms are going to view your lack of a second letter negatively, or they're going to view your late app negatively.

Honestly, if your application won't actually be complete for the majority of schools until February, you should wait to apply next cycle. You're applying late enough now that you're leaving a lot of money (and probably a few acceptances) on the table.

Back2California

New

Post by Back2California » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 am

cavalier1138 wrote:You're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either the adcomms are going to view your lack of a second letter negatively, or they're going to view your late app negatively.

Honestly, if your application won't actually be complete for the majority of schools until February, you should wait to apply next cycle. You're applying late enough now that you're leaving a lot of money (and probably a few acceptances) on the table.
Thats what I was afraid of :(

I guess I just need to figure out which will look worse and go from there.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am

Tbh they probably won't start reviewing your app any time soon even if you submit now. I'd say submit, queue up, and then hopefully the LOR will be in before they actually start reading your application. If only one LOR is required, it'll be considered complete with one LOR, and at least you can go through some of the processing while waiting for the second

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:50 pm

addie1412 wrote:Tbh they probably won't start reviewing your app any time soon even if you submit now. I'd say submit, queue up, and then hopefully the LOR will be in before they actually start reading your application. If only one LOR is required, it'll be considered complete with one LOR, and at least you can go through some of the processing while waiting for the second
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”