Is it too late to send a "why X" statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aryi3025

Bronze

Is it too late to send a "why X" statement?

Post by aryi3025 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm

I applied to schools two nights ago and looking back I was just so anxious to send my apps that i didn't consider sending why x statements to my top schools.... is it more hurtful then helpful to send them now?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Is it too late to send a "why X" statement?

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Couldn't hurt to send it! They definitely didn't even think about looking at your app now, so if you do it this week, you should be more than fine.

However, there are some schools that actually don't want Why X essays: They already know how great they are so it's superfluous to write essays for them: Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Chicago, etc.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:02 pm

I think it would be okay. You could phrase it as an addendum you would like added to your file. The worst thing they could do is not add it.

ReadyToStart

New

Post by ReadyToStart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 pm

I just sent two Why X essays more than a month after I applied, but I don't think it's a problem, especially since you only applied two days ago. They probably haven't even started looking at your application yet.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Couldn't hurt to send it! They definitely didn't even think about looking at your app now, so if you do it this week, you should be more than fine.

However, there are some schools that actually don't want Why X essays: They already know how great they are so it's superfluous to write essays for them: Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Chicago, etc.
What T14 schools do you think it's actually worth it to write "Why X"

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Couldn't hurt to send it! They definitely didn't even think about looking at your app now, so if you do it this week, you should be more than fine.

What T14 schools do you think it's actually worth it to write "Why X"
UVA, Michigan, Penn. Maybe Georgetown. Cornell has a 1000 character box asking "Why Cornell" and you can expand on it in an addendum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”