... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SUNY1995

New

Post by SUNY1995 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Last edited by SUNY1995 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xnsch

Bronze

Re: LGBT Diversity Statement: Is it worth it?

Post by xnsch » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:22 pm

SUNY1995 wrote:What are people's opinions about writing a a diversity statement for being LGBT? I honestly cannot come up with a concise topic and the only idea I have is to write about how it took a long time for me to accept myself for who I am, which in turn has made me more open and accepting of other people's differences. And additionally, how learning to accept myself and others for who they are, will aid me in the future when I have clients of my own who come from all walks of life.

Do you think it would be worth doing it or is it a waste of time? I am a splitter (167 LSAT, 3.95 GPA) btw
I don't think it's a bad idea. I mentioned the process of coming out and how that's influenced me in my diversity statement. Granted, that was only one element and I wove being gay into a broader theme of being a minority in a lot of different respects and how that has given me a fundamentally different outlook, but I don't think it's an inherently bad topic especially if you can link it to how it will affect your career. For me the link was far more explicit because I want to go into public policy but maybe it could help for a regular legal job, too

dm1683

Silver

Re: LGBT Diversity Statement: Is it worth it?

Post by dm1683 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:26 pm

SUNY1995 wrote:What are people's opinions about writing a a diversity statement for being LGBT? I honestly cannot come up with a concise topic and the only idea I have is to write about how it took a long time for me to accept myself for who I am, which in turn has made me more open and accepting of other people's differences. And additionally, how learning to accept myself and others for who they are, will aid me in the future when I have clients of my own who come from all walks of life.

Do you think it would be worth doing it or is it a waste of time? I am a splitter (167 LSAT, 3.95 GPA) btw
Yeah I think it would be worth it. It'll be something adcomms have seen before, but hey, so are DSs about racial injustice and they sure have an effect. However, I think the degree to which your LGBT status will help you depends on which "letter" you are. My general impression is that T>LG>B. That is, being trans will give you a bigger boost than being lesbian or gay, and being LG will give you a bigger boost than being bi.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”