Sample LOCI letters and article Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
texlawtex

New

Re: Sample LOCI letters and article

Post by texlawtex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:46 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:
texlawtex wrote:Quick question and figured this was a good enough thread.

For those who have LOCI'ed did you get a response from the person your contacted, Like thanks for the email or ok well think about this, or was it the equivalent of throwing it into a black hole?
+1. Would it be a good idea to call the admissions office a few days after it should have been delivered to make sure it's being processed?

aha you've resparked the debate. Are you snail mailing or emailing? Is reg mail more genuine or just annoying bc it is time consuming?

ljmrc3344

New

Post by ljmrc3344 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Good old-fashioned regular mail.

Well, priority mail.

Hopefully, it is LESS annoying since I've already provided them with a hard copy that they don't have to print.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:27 am

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but are there any samples of 3rd, 4th, 5th LOCIs? I imagine the tone and content should change significantly after the first one or two. I've updated my schools on pretty much everything in the first two letters, but I want to send another as the seat deposit gets closer. Thoughts?

Scuzzlebutt

New

Post by Scuzzlebutt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 pm

So, would it be bad form to send a LOCI to a school that's already rejected me? I mean, I've got nothing to lose at that point, right? :?: :?:

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Scuzzlebutt wrote:So, would it be bad form to send a LOCI to a school that's already rejected me? I mean, I've got nothing to lose at that point, right? :?: :?:
Good question. The "classy" answer is to leave them alone. The "desperate" approach would be to send it and not give a... hoot. :wink:

I've thought about this myself. Would showing up at admissions and giving them your own singing telegram performance impress them with your dedication and cojones, or simply make you look like a fool?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:Good old-fashioned regular mail.

Well, priority mail.

Hopefully, it is LESS annoying since I've already provided them with a hard copy that they don't have to print.
Just don't send it to Chicago. They claim they throw out any materials sent via snail mail.

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:29 pm

I sent mine via email bc thats what the directions said to do. I conformed and I will probably be punished with rejection hahaha

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 am

If anyone is bored and wants to look over my LOCI, please PM me.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Maybe this has been addressed...?

Do schools expect another LOCI if they haven't got back to you at all in a month or two? In other words, is it implicit you should send one to keep your enthusiasm shown?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:56 pm

What should be contained in a LOCI if nothing has changed in your life since applications? I've been at the same full time job and volunteer organization since I graduated 1.5 years ago and this is all indicated on my apps.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:35 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:What should be contained in a LOCI if nothing has changed in your life since applications? I've been at the same full time job and volunteer organization since I graduated 1.5 years ago and this is all indicated on my apps.
Your undying love for the school, why you love them above all and that you will certainly attend if admitted (only if true).

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:37 pm

tagged

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
newyorklaw23 wrote:What should be contained in a LOCI if nothing has changed in your life since applications? I've been at the same full time job and volunteer organization since I graduated 1.5 years ago and this is all indicated on my apps.
Your undying love for the school, why you love them above all and that you will certainly attend if admitted (only if true).
Just to throw out random ideas:
Making the "things that haven't changed" sound like you have been "maintaining this great thing still" may be a good spin. Plus, after discussing some aspect of the program you (presumably) love, and why it fits your interests like an Isotoner glove, you could make an appeal on another level —something about what makes you an individual who is committed to law, or who would be a standout addition to the student body in some way, might help. I dunno. Maybe an appeal to the school's "personality": something 'extralegal.' Diversity, or scholarly and philosophical inquiry, or the social and ethical goals of the school —in short, how it likes to define itself apart from the rest. May sound cheesy, but if said the right way, it could be a way to say you're not just expressing pro forma desires and wishes and compliments like everybody else...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey, would it look bad if I mentioned in my LOCI that one of the reasons I like a school is b/c it's far away from where I currently am (i.e. I really want a change in environment)? Or will it have absolutely no impact on admissions, so I shouldn't even bother?

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:Hey, would it look bad if I mentioned in my LOCI that one of the reasons I like a school is b/c it's far away from where I currently am (i.e. I really want a change in environment)? Or will it have absolutely no impact on admissions, so I shouldn't even bother?
As long as it's not the sole reason...Make it one of those subordinate clauses (something like "Aside from a need for a change in environment..."); that way it doesn't look like you're trying to run away.

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:38 am

If you are sending a LOCI to a school that you have been complete/in review at for over ten weeks, is it bad form to tell them about peer schools that have admitted you/offered scholarships? I have had advice to do this, but I don't want to annoy the ad com.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Whitters wrote:If you are sending a LOCI to a school that you have been complete/in review at for over ten weeks, is it bad form to tell them about peer schools that have admitted you/offered scholarships? I have had advice to do this, but I don't want to annoy the ad com.
Do you have a deadline approaching? If you do, that seems to be a pretty common and acceptable practice to let the other school know that you're facing a deadline. However it must be very carefully worded.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pam920

New

Post by pam920 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:51 am

Okay, just finished my LOCI! My school has directed me to send it through email, so now I have what is perhaps a stupid question - what should the subject line of my email be?

I have a few ideas, but I want this to set the right tone. How do I say (in a dignified way, of course) "ADMIT ME!!!"?

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:09 am

pam920 wrote:Okay, just finished my LOCI! My school has directed me to send it through email, so now I have what is perhaps a stupid question - what should the subject line of my email be?

I have a few ideas, but I want this to set the right tone. How do I say (in a dignified way, of course) "ADMIT ME!!!"?
Letter of Continued Interest.

The "ADMIT ME!!!" should be in the body of the letter.

squelp

New

Post by squelp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:49 am

What if I'm held and don't write a LOCI? Is it common for people to be accepted even when they did not write one?

and the beast

New

Post by and the beast » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 am

question for anyone...is it super obnoxious to send a seat deposit to a school with a loci just to illustrate the fact that they are your number 1 choice and that you want them to cash the check? is this SO annoying or smart? :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:46 pm

and the beast wrote:question for anyone...is it super obnoxious to send a seat deposit to a school with a loci just to illustrate the fact that they are your number 1 choice and that you want them to cash the check? is this SO annoying or smart? :)
hmm very interesting question. it almost sounds like bribery though? idk...id do it...what do ppl think?

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Very helpful info. Thanks all.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:04 pm

MissLucky wrote:
and the beast wrote:question for anyone...is it super obnoxious to send a seat deposit to a school with a loci just to illustrate the fact that they are your number 1 choice and that you want them to cash the check? is this SO annoying or smart? :)
hmm very interesting question. it almost sounds like bribery though? idk...id do it...what do ppl think?

Even if your intent wasn't bribery I think it could EASILY be taken as such. I would not do this.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Send it in cash!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”