How bad did I mess up? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoGreen17

New

How bad did I mess up?

Post by GoGreen17 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:59 pm

So maybe I'm just looking for reasons to worry or maybe I actually messed up big time. I just realized that my personal statement is only 1.5 times spaced and not double spaced. Is this a big deal? Or will schools only care about the content? I submitted to a majority of my schools on Nov 1 and just now noticed my mistake. Any advice is welcome, thank you in advance.

GoBucks6612

New

Re: How bad did I mess up?

Post by GoBucks6612 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Probably depends on the school. If they have a strict 2 page, double-spaced limit, then you may be facing a slight uphill battle (I doubt it will ruin your application but I am coming from outside the black box). If on the other hand they don't mention spacing or a page limit, there is no need to worry. Also, if you have solid numbers at the school (above both 75th percentiles), they may not think much of a mistake.

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:07 pm

I was in the same boat about a month ago and honestly it ain't that bad.

How long was your PS before? If it was on 2 pages, you should still be fine at some of the schools without a hard page limit (those recommend 1-3 pages) so check on their website. If you're applying to any schools with a 2-page limit, you're gonna need to trim the PS down (duh).

First up, try and follow this: http://www.accepted.com/grad/succinctessays. If you still can't keep it within 2-pages, find the sentences that can be taken out without affecting the main point of your PS too much. Only when you're still struggling should you think about cutting an entire paragraph out.

The whole process will take a couple of days at most.

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 pm

GoBucks6612 wrote:Probably depends on the school. If they have a strict 2 page, double-spaced limit, then you may be facing a slight uphill battle (I doubt it will ruin your application but I am coming from outside the black box). If on the other hand they don't mention spacing or a page limit, there is no need to worry. Also, if you have solid numbers at the school (above both 75th percentiles), they may not think much of a mistake.
This might be true, but I honestly wouldn't want to lean on it.
My mentor's motto is "Lawyers are paid to not make mistakes.", which I think is very true. Not following the application guidelines properly is just saying "I'm gonna be a sloppy lawyer". Why would one want to run the risk of being viewed upon unfavourably when the PS can just be shortened?

GoGreen17

New

Post by GoGreen17 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:24 pm

galeatus wrote:
GoBucks6612 wrote:Probably depends on the school. If they have a strict 2 page, double-spaced limit, then you may be facing a slight uphill battle (I doubt it will ruin your application but I am coming from outside the black box). If on the other hand they don't mention spacing or a page limit, there is no need to worry. Also, if you have solid numbers at the school (above both 75th percentiles), they may not think much of a mistake.
My mentor's motto is "Lawyers are paid to not make mistakes.", which I think is very true. Not following the application guidelines properly is just saying "I'm gonna be a sloppy lawyer". Why would one want to run the risk of being viewed upon unfavourably when the PS can just be shortened?
I appreciate both of your responses.

Unfortunately Galeatus the PS is already sent. I realize it could be seen as a sizeable mistake. I suppose I was looking for advice or comments on how admissions committees will actually view it and if I should do anything to correct it. Right now, my stance is to leave it and hope they either don't notice or won't care too much.

GoBucks, I'm honestly hoping that you're right. I'm sure the schools with strict limits will take the most notice, but hopefully the content will take precedence over a silly mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

galeatus

Silver

Post by galeatus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:34 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
I appreciate both of your responses.

Unfortunately Galeatus the PS is already sent. I realize it could be seen as a sizeable mistake. I suppose I was looking for advice or comments on how admissions committees will actually view it and if I should do anything to correct it. Right now, my stance is to leave it and hope they either don't notice or won't care too much.

GoBucks, I'm honestly hoping that you're right. I'm sure the schools with strict limits will take the most notice, but hopefully the content will take precedence over a silly mistake.
Well fuck, I'm blind and can't read and should probably not be a lawyer, sorry.

Hope it all works out for you then man, do most of your target schools have a page limit?

GoGreen17

New

Post by GoGreen17 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:39 pm

galeatus wrote:

Hope it all works out for you then man, do most of your target schools have a page limit?

Just the one I'm most worried about haha

But thanks, I appreciate your advice all the same

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:25 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Just the one I'm most worried about haha

But thanks, I appreciate your advice all the same
Does anyone know what would happen is OP sent a new PS and noted that they had an error or something in their original draft? I actually recall reading someone doing that and having a decent outcome on one of these threads, but can't remember where.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:40 pm

I honestly don't think there would be anything wrong with just emailing them and saying "I spotted my mistake, here is the edited version."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:34 am

Likely a non issue.

toobig2lose

New

Post by toobig2lose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm

They won't care that much.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:24 pm

People on this website are a little too neurotic; I don't think your chances are over due to a mistake in your spacing. The content is what matters.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”