Academic LOR vs Professional Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tskela

Bronze

Academic LOR vs Professional

Post by tskela » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Please don't quote
Last edited by tskela on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Academic LOR vs Professional

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:02 am

If you just graduated, you really want two academic letters. The schools want to know your ability to perform in an academic environment.

Professional LORs are for people who have been out of school long enough that a professor's recommendation will likely not speak to their current qualities.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If you just graduated, you really want two academic letters. The schools want to know your ability to perform in an academic environment.

Professional LORs are for people who have been out of school long enough that a professor's recommendation will likely not speak to their current qualities.
Thanks for the input! In an ideal world, of course I'd want to submit two strong academic letters.

But when I read wording like this (from Harvard):

"Recommendations should come from those who have had an opportunity to evaluate you carefully and individually over a sufficient period of time. We strongly recommend that at least one letter of recommendation come from an academic source. However, letters from employers or others who have worked closely with you can be very helpful, particularly (particularly =/= ONLY) if you have been out of school for many years."

It doesn't seem like I'd be at a disadvantage by having only one academic letter...Maybe I'm just misinterpreting. :/

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:57 pm

tskela wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:If you just graduated, you really want two academic letters. The schools want to know your ability to perform in an academic environment.

Thanks for the input! In an ideal world, of course I'd want to submit two strong academic letters.

"Recommendations should come from those who have had an opportunity to evaluate you carefully and individually over a sufficient period of time. We strongly recommend that at least one letter of recommendation come from an academic source. However, letters from employers or others who have worked closely with you can be very helpful, particularly (particularly =/= ONLY) if you have been out of school for many years."

It doesn't seem like I'd be at a disadvantage by having only one academic letter...Maybe I'm just misinterpreting. :/
You are misinterpreting a bit. They want people to have the option to send letters from another source if they feel like they can't get anything from their professors. But they will definitely look askance at an application from someone who graduated a year ago and can't secure two academic LORs. Don't look to the requirements phrasing, because it will not be accurate (for example, see every instance of "we don't just consider LSAT/GPA" on these sites).

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:59 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
tskela wrote:

You are misinterpreting a bit. They want people to have the option to send letters from another source if they feel like they can't get anything from their professors. But they will definitely look askance at an application from someone who graduated a year ago and can't secure two academic LORs. Don't look to the requirements phrasing, because it will not be accurate (for example, see every instance of "we don't just consider LSAT/GPA" on these sites).
This nails it for sure. 2 Academic LOR is what you want unless you are like 5+ years out of undergrad and cannot secure 2.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:25 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tskela wrote:

This nails it for sure. 2 Academic LOR is what you want unless you are like 5+ years out of undergrad and cannot secure 2.
Thanks guys! I guess I will be submitting all 3 letters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”