Early Decision decisions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
natural_law

New

Early Decision decisions

Post by natural_law » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 am

Hi all,

Hope you're well.

I have a 2.5 GPA / 178 LSAT. I messed around at undergrad, what can I say?

I know I don't have a great shot at T14 except for U Penn, Virginia, Michigan, Northwestern and Georgetown, where I have 19-43% chance of admission at each school according to calculators.

My dream school is Stanford. I know this is realistically a pipe-dream, and if I end up there it will most likely be after nailing L1 somewhere else and transferring. However, it's in my nature to play for the long hope, so please frame advice around the Stanford dream. To explain briefly, my life purpose is to help in any way I can get a tax on land values implemented in America, which (unfortunately) will probably require political power, for which a HYS degree is a significant vote winner.

I'm confident that I will do well in L1; I've grown up a bit and am used to hard work now (I'm 25, have been working for last 2.5 years). But at the same time, even if I do well, that is no guarantee of a successful transfer to HYS for L2. Of course there are massive downsides to transferring, which I believe are offset by the political significance of a HYS degree. Don't get me wrong, I'm also interested in law in and of itself, but law is the tool by which we create policy, and consequently the world, so I do have strong consideration for the longer-term outlook in any decision, rather than which clerkships I will be able to pursue in L2.

So I have a few questions it would be great to get your thoughts on,

1) Are there any schools that will increase my chances of transferring to HYS ipso facto? (I'm not confident of getting in HYSCCN, so perhaps better to increase my chances of getting into somewhere from which I will have a better chance at HYS).

2) Where would you play your ED card if you were me? (Assuming you would use the ED advantage...would be interested if anyone thinks this is a bad idea).

3) With my numbers, is there any significant boost to applying ED to HYSCCN?

My thinking on 2) is that I can either try to get my <5% chances of CCN up, and that is a massive hedge against a transfer to HYS not working out. I would also love to live in NYC and go to Columbia or NYU; I have friends who have graduated from both and the rave about those schools. Or I can use ED to get a better shot at a school I prefer (U Penn & Virginia vs. Georgetown & Michigan), if there is no strategic advantage to applying ED to the top 6. Or I can use ED to get a better shot at a school that will increase my chances at HYS (viz. Stanford).

Would appreciate any advice hugely.

Kind regards,

natural_law

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Early Decision decisions

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:07 am

natural_law wrote:my life purpose is to help in any way I can get a tax on land values implemented in America
Don't go to law school. Hth

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:11 am

If you get into any of the t14 (unlikely but maybe) how are you going to pay the 300k you will owe in loans? Also transferring to Stanford is essentially impossible. They take around 15 transfers a year and usually that includes a number of Harvard kids who decide to go back west and the top 5 students at Berkeley.

Honestly it does not sound like law school is for you. If you want to deal with policy, go to policy school.

natural_law

New

Post by natural_law » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:01 am

Got a high paying job out of university. My total comp for 2017 alone will be £200+.

Don't tell me the odds, help me maximise them please.

Law school is the best foundation for policy-making and politics. And law school helps you develop a wider range of skills than policy school.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:05 am

natural_law wrote:Got a high paying job out of university. My total comp for 2017 alone will be £200+.

Don't tell me the odds, help me maximise them please.

Law school is the best foundation for policy-making and politics. And law school helps you develop a wider range of skills than policy school.
If you are getting paid 200k+ pounds, you would literally have a mental defect to go to law school. The vast majority of law students make around 50k at graduation. Even if you do land a big law job (which will be debatable considering your previous academic performance in school), your salary will start at180k dollars, much less than 200k in pounds, for more time. Minimum 2000 hours, usually much higher.

Law school is not for you.

But regardless, you still wont get into a t14 school even with ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:21 am

I think that these posts are highly misguided. I am very confident that you will get into a T14 law school. However, I have no way for showing support for this but that LSAT score is near perfect. The way you can maximize your odds is by writing a compelling GPA addendum, giving an account as to why there exists a huge disconnect. In this document, you will give an account as to why this GPA is not reflective of your ability to perform well or that it does not speak to your maturity.

Do not let anyone tell you law school is not for you. Go for it brother, you have nothing to lose, blanket the t14 and add some safety schools under that.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:42 pm

btruj777 wrote:I think that these posts are highly misguided. I am very confident that you will get into a T14 law school. However, I have no way for showing support for this but that LSAT score is near perfect. The way you can maximize your odds is by writing a compelling GPA addendum, giving an account as to why there exists a huge disconnect. In this document, you will give an account as to why this GPA is not reflective of your ability to perform well or that it does not speak to your maturity.

Do not let anyone tell you law school is not for you. Go for it brother, you have nothing to lose, blanket the t14 and add some safety schools under that.
I think that if you believe posts telling people interested in policy to consider not going to law school are misguided, you need to learn what a JD actually is. Law school is for people who want to be lawyers, not for policy wonks. The MPP has eliminated any transferable qualities a JD might have once had in that field.

OP, to answer your questions:

1. There is no answer, because no school maximizes those chances, and it's a fool's errand to go to any school with the intent of transferring out.

2. I would not play it at all. ED does not give a significant boost if it gives one at all, and it robs you of money.

3. No.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:I think that these posts are highly misguided. I am very confident that you will get into a T14 law school. However, I have no way for showing support for this but that LSAT score is near perfect. The way you can maximize your odds is by writing a compelling GPA addendum, giving an account as to why there exists a huge disconnect. In this document, you will give an account as to why this GPA is not reflective of your ability to perform well or that it does not speak to your maturity.

I think that if you believe posts telling people interested in policy to consider not going to law school are misguided, you need to learn what a JD actually is. Law school is for people who want to be lawyers, not for policy wonks. The MPP has eliminated any transferable qualities a JD might have once had in that field.

OP, to answer your questions:

1. There is no answer, because no school maximizes those chances, and it's a fool's errand to go to any school with the intent of transferring out.

2. I would not play it at all. ED does not give a significant boost if it gives one at all, and it robs you of money.

3. No.

You settled it! There exists not one person in the policy making process which has benefited from a JD!! Such wisdom! If you take a JD to simply mean a license to practice, then you have conflated two very different ideas. Some of the best professors in law schools are not lawyers, no JD, yet they shape future "lawyers" how can this be? Because there are more things at work than just "lawyering", one needs to know ethics, philosophy, and policy implications - I think going to law school can get you to know these things. Its not about the degree, its about what you learn in the process of getting the degree. Does there not exist a possibility that OP can work in policy making with a JD? Does there exist a possibility that the JD is beneficial to him? Perhaps you think a Masters in Policy Making or whatever is more beneficial to him, but if you make that inference you attempt to rob OP of who he is and how he weighs his options. OP knows that he wants to go to Law School - for whatever reason, why should he be discouraged?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:17 pm

btruj777 wrote: Do not let anyone tell you law school is not for you. Go for it brother, you have nothing to lose...You settled it! There exists not one person in the policy making process which has benefited from a JD!! Such wisdom!...OP knows that he wants to go to Law School - for whatever reason, why should he be discouraged?

I don't think OP knows they want to go to law school. They have stated a life mission and said a JD is the right way to go about achieving it, but many would say they are misguided in believing that.

It would be like if someone said, I want to be a professional race car driver so I am going to take out a huge loan to buy a race car and hire a team and such. Is that A way to become a professional race car driver? Sure, maybe, but I would suggest they learn how to drive first (in this hypo, they don't even know how to drive yet!), and then, getting good enough at driving, they are hired to race a car on a team that they don't own, like 99% of professional race car drivers...

Your comments are like, buy a race car brother! Oh, no one has ever bought a race car and become a race car driver? you guys are so smart! OP knows they want to become a race car driver, why are you all discouraging them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:23 pm

btruj777 wrote: You settled it! There exists not one person in the policy making process which has benefited from a JD!! Such wisdom! If you take a JD to simply mean a license to practice, then you have conflated two very different ideas. Some of the best professors in law schools are not lawyers, no JD, yet they shape future "lawyers" how can this be? Because there are more things at work than just "lawyering", one needs to know ethics, philosophy, and policy implications - I think going to law school can get you to know these things. Its not about the degree, its about what you learn in the process of getting the degree. Does there not exist a possibility that OP can work in policy making with a JD? Does there exist a possibility that the JD is beneficial to him? Perhaps you think a Masters in Policy Making or whatever is more beneficial to him, but if you make that inference you attempt to rob OP of who he is and how he weighs his options. OP knows that he wants to go to Law School - for whatever reason, why should he be discouraged?
Because the OP, like you, may not be aware of what the function of law school actually is (I'd love to see all these top-of-the-line professors without JDs that you reference). And they, like you, may think that because there are a lot of policy people with JDs currently in service that a JD is a policy degree. And they, like you, would be making the mistake of not realizing that all of those people are from an older generation that had a different career market. And they, like you, may want to know these things before dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on an education that won't get them what they want.

A JD is a professional degree, not just a graduate degree in a specialized field of study. Would you tell someone to go to med school because it's not about becoming a doctor, it's about the learning process?

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 pm

guybourdin wrote:
btruj777 wrote: Do not let anyone tell you law school is not for you. Go for it brother, you have nothing to lose...You settled it! There exists not one person in the policy making process which has benefited from a JD!! Such wisdom!...OP knows that he wants to go to Law School - for whatever reason, why should he be discouraged?

I don't think OP knows they want to go to law school. They have stated a life mission and said a JD is the right way to go about achieving it, but many would say they are misguided in believing that.

It would be like if someone said, I want to be a professional race car driver so I am going to take out a huge loan to buy a race car and hire a team and such. Is that A way to become a professional race car driver? Sure, maybe, but I would suggest they learn how to drive first (in this hypo, they don't even know how to drive yet!), and then, getting good enough at driving, they are hired to race a car on a team that they don't own, like 99% of professional race car drivers...

Your comments are like, buy a race car brother! Oh, no one has ever bought a race car and become a race car driver? you guys are so smart! OP knows they want to become a race car driver, why are you all discouraging them?

I see your point, but no one is being faithful to what he is asking. The race car driver is not asking what is the best way to his goal, he is asking how do I do THIS way they best way. Why cannot we not stay faithful to that? If we are trying to "just help him out" then we erred in think WE KNOW THE BEST WAY, we need to narrow down the focus to what he is asking right? The dude makes 200k pound per yer, thats almost 1/4 of a Mill per year USD. I think we owe it to OP to respect that he wants to GO to law school. He also got a 178, he isnt an average Joe. Not only CAN he buy the car, he knows how to drive it, he is asking, what do I do next?

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Removed, TLS error
Last edited by btruj777 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Removed, TLS error
Last edited by btruj777 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:07 pm

btruj777 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I see your point, but no one is being faithful to what he is asking. The race car driver is not asking what is the best way to his goal, he is asking how do it in THIS way - they best way. Why can we not stay faithful to that? If we are trying to "just help him out" then we erred in thinking WE KNOW THE BEST WAY, we need to narrow down the focus to what he is asking right? The dude makes 200k pound per yer, thats almost 1/4 of a Mill per year USD. I think we owe it to OP to respect that he wants to GO to law school. He also got a 178, he isnt an average Joe. Not only CAN he buy the car, he knows how to drive it, he is asking, what do I do next?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:22 pm

btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I see your point, but no one is being faithful to what he is asking. The race car driver is not asking what is the best way to his goal, he is asking how do I do THIS way they best way. Why cannot we not stay faithful to that? If we are trying to "just help him out" then we erred in think WE KNOW THE BEST WAY, we need to narrow down the focus to what he is asking right? The dude makes 200k pound per yer, thats almost 1/4 of a Mill per year USD. I think we owe it to OP to respect that he wants to GO to law school. He also got a 178, he isnt an average Joe. Not only CAN he buy the car, he knows how to drive it, he is asking, what do I do next?
Sure. Except the racecar driver may be heading for a cliff...

I don't think you've quite grasped this yet. Being smart and qualified does not mean that someone should go to law school. And the OP made specific statements about wanting to work on policy that justified the replies about this not being a good basis for going to law school.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:27 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I don't think you've quite grasped this yet. Being smart and qualified does not mean that someone should go to law school. And the OP made specific statements about wanting to work on policy that justified the replies about this not being a good basis for going to law school.

Is he heading off a cliff?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:28 pm

btruj777 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Are you reading anything that isn't put in the form of an analogy?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Are you reading anything that isn't put in the form of an analogy?

I am but you are making some serious assertions with zero support. Why do you say what you say as if it were the concrete truth?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:38 pm

btruj777 wrote: I am but you are making some serious assertions with zero support. Why do you say what you say as if it were the concrete truth?
*sigh*

This has been well-established long before you came here. If you search for any thread where someone said, "I want to do public policy work, where should I go to law school," you will find an endless stream of responses telling them to get an MPP. So either all these law students and lawyers are just trying to corner the market, or maybe you need to do some damn research about the field you're entering.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote: *sigh*
Yeah, I'm pretty sure btruj777 is not worth further engaging on this topic... oh well. Real talk: OP should go to med school. Rand Paul went to Duke (a t14 med school) and is now a senator influencing public policy.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:07 pm

btruj777 wrote:.
Dude, you're giving awful advice. Stop it. There are people's lives at stake. Seriously, shut the fuck up.

OP,

You have no shot at HYS, and basically no shot at big scholarships in the T14. Law school could end up costing you over a quarter million dollars. What is your return to investment on that? You absolutely don't need to get a law degree to go into politics or policy or whatever. Law school is for rich kids and people who want to be lawyers.

Absolutely do not go to a school planning to transfer. Law school grades are unpredictable as a 0L.

You don't seem to understand a lot of important stuff that should factor into your decision. Research a lot before you commit to anything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

natural_law

New

Post by natural_law » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm

This is going to sound horribly arrogant, but to pass a LVT is going to require immense political power, probably the presidency. 25 of 44 Presidents have been lawyers. End of discussion.

And I don't care about money at all. My only motivation is to do what I can to help build a just society. The high-earning job is just to pay for law school myself instead of relying, once again, on my family's money.

I am aware of the downsides to transferring, as I said originally. Unfortunately HYS degrees have political significance, but I don't have the GPA to get in there directly. So I have to play for a long hope of the transfer, or else close the best strategic path into politics.
Last edited by natural_law on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:37 pm

natural_law wrote:This is going to sound horribly arrogant, but to pass a LVT is going to require immense political power, probably the presidency. 25 of 44 Presidents have been lawyers. End of discussion.

And I don't care about money at all. My only motivation is to do what I can to help build a just society. The high-earning job is just to pay for law school myself instead of relying, once again, on my family's money.
Please save this post so you can look at it in ten years and either laugh or despair at how dumb it is.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:38 pm

natural_law wrote:This is going to sound horribly arrogant, but to pass a LVT is going to require immense political power, probably the presidency. 25 of 44 Presidents have been lawyers. End of discussion.

Well, your first thought was right. Everything following it, not so much. But kudos for trying.

The lawyer-to-president trend is coming to a close. As mentioned, that was largely the result of older generations that had much more mobile JDs. The JD-to-elected-office track is no longer common or really all that possible. The only reason you aren't seeing it yet is because elected officials at the highest levels tend to be older.

natural_law

New

Post by natural_law » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:40 pm

You lot do a whole lot of assuming and give advice without the facts or even consideration of the question.

JD facilitates JAG Corps, which is a viable path to politics.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”