Chance for HLS. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
derekne

New

Chance for HLS.

Post by derekne » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Physics, Econ, Poli Sci major at a top ten state school and have my heart set on HLS. I've got a 3.77 GPA and a 178 LSAT. Looking at law school numbers it shows that I have a greater than 50% chance of being admitted. I'm finding that hard to believe considering my GPA is barely above their 25th percentile and while I have a high LSAT score, I have no work experience,(Harvard seems to really value that). Will these numbers coming from a K-JD,(along with the possibility of a slight boost from being in a STEM major), make me that competitive? I really want to be realistic with myself and don't want to get my hopes up.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Re: Chance for HLS.

Post by QuentonCassidy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:45 pm

derekne wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm a Physics, Econ, Poli Sci major at a top ten state school and have my heart set on HLS. I've got a 3.77 GPA and a 178 LSAT. Looking at law school numbers it shows that I have a greater than 50% chance of being admitted. I'm finding that hard to believe considering my GPA is barely above their 25th percentile and while I have a high LSAT score, I have no work experience,(Harvard seems to really value that). Will these numbers coming from a K-JD,(along with the possibility of a slight boost from being in a STEM major), make me that competitive? I really want to be realistic with myself and don't want to get my hopes up.
I would certainly trust the info on mylsn over any anecdotal info on here. LS is a numbers game and with an LSAT>75 and GPA>25 you have a solid shot. Your softs/school won't really change anything, like you said there is a possible slight boost from your STEM major, and while Harvard does place a premium on work experience (>80% are 1+ years out of UG), they do accept plenty of KJDs and are still highly numbers-oriented. I would say that mylsn chances will probably be very accurate for you.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:15 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:
derekne wrote:Hi Everyone,

I would certainly trust the info on mylsn over any anecdotal info on here. LS is a numbers game and with an LSAT>75 and GPA>25 you have a solid shot. Your softs/school won't really change anything, like you said there is a possible slight boost from your STEM major, and while Harvard does place a premium on work experience (>80% are 1+ years out of UG), they do accept plenty of KJDs and are still highly numbers-oriented. I would say that mylsn chances will probably be very accurate for you.
TITCR.

If you want to know the "why" behind it: they only need to report medians to USNWR. The fact that' you're below the 25th isn't nearly as relevant as being under the 50th.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”