Apply Without LSAT Or Wait? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nova1017

New

Apply Without LSAT Or Wait?

Post by nova1017 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 pm

I know that I am applying for the class of 2020 and my LSAT score will not change my mind. I'm currently PTing in the mid 170's and taking the December test.

My question is this: should I wait until I have my score (and therefore a complete application) to apply or should I apply earlier in an effort to be reviewed as soon as my LSAT score becomes available?

I was planning on applying in October to get a head start but I don't want to be put in an auto-reject pile since they won't see my LSAT score. I guess my question is: do the schools make an initial review of applications without LSAT scores or do they not look at all until everything is there?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Apply Without LSAT Or Wait?

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:03 pm

I don't think the application is sent if there is no LSAT score on file.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nova1017

New

Post by nova1017 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:46 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
nova1017 wrote:I know that I am applying for the class of 2020 and my LSAT score will not change my mind. I'm currently PTing in the mid 170's and taking the December test.

My question is this: should I wait until I have my score (and therefore a complete application) to apply or should I apply earlier in an effort to be reviewed as soon as my LSAT score becomes available?

I was planning on applying in October to get a head start but I don't want to be put in an auto-reject pile since they won't see my LSAT score. I guess my question is: do the schools make an initial review of applications without LSAT scores or do they not look at all until everything is there?
Do you already have at least one LSAT score on file? If not, you won't be able to submit your application for the time being. If you do have at least one LSAT score on file, then you can go ahead and submit your application, but most schools will automatically place your file on "hold" until they receive your new score report (which LSAC will automatically send to them), unless you specifically request that they go ahead and "complete" your file without waiting until the December scores are released.
I do not have a reportable LSAT score as of yet. However, when I go into my lsac.org account, it does appear like it will let me submit applications, even though I do not have a LSAT score yet. My question is, will it hurt me to submit without the score? I had thought it would be better to get the completed app in without the score so that it would be ready to review as soon as the score is sent. I'm wondering if there is any way submitting before the score is received would hurt me.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nova1017

New

Post by nova1017 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
nova1017 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
nova1017 wrote:I know that I am applying for the class of 2020 and my LSAT score will not change my mind. I'm currently PTing in the mid 170's and taking the December test.

Do you already have at least one LSAT score on file? If not, you won't be able to submit your application for the time being. If you do have at least one LSAT score on file, then you can go ahead and submit your application, but most schools will automatically place your file on "hold" until they receive your new score report (which LSAC will automatically send to them), unless you specifically request that they go ahead and "complete" your file without waiting until the December scores are released.
I do not have a reportable LSAT score as of yet. However, when I go into my lsac.org account, it does appear like it will let me submit applications, even though I do not have a LSAT score yet. My question is, will it hurt me to submit without the score? I had thought it would be better to get the completed app in without the score so that it would be ready to review as soon as the score is sent. I'm wondering if there is any way submitting before the score is received would hurt me.
Does it say "100% complete" and let you go all the way to the payment page? It might just look like it'll let you submit, but not actually give you the option to "Continue" to the payment. (I'm pretty sure this is the case.) But if it will let you submit your app without the LSAT score, then honestly I'd go ahead, just to get it over with. However, the admissions committee will see that your app is incomplete, and so they won't even review it at all until after the December scores are posted.
I had just gone to the payment page, but one of my applications is 100% ready so I went ahead and submitted that one and it went through. I don't mind this school getting the application sans LSAT score, my concern is if I apply to a T-14 without the LSAT score, would they immediately ding me if they don't like something without waiting for my LSAT score?

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:09 pm

nova1017 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
nova1017 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:

Does it say "100% complete" and let you go all the way to the payment page? It might just look like it'll let you submit, but not actually give you the option to "Continue" to the payment. (I'm pretty sure this is the case.) But if it will let you submit your app without the LSAT score, then honestly I'd go ahead, just to get it over with. However, the admissions committee will see that your app is incomplete, and so they won't even review it at all until after the December scores are posted.
I had just gone to the payment page, but one of my applications is 100% ready so I went ahead and submitted that one and it went through. I don't mind this school getting the application sans LSAT score, my concern is if I apply to a T-14 without the LSAT score, would they immediately ding me if they don't like something without waiting for my LSAT score?
No, you won't get dinged for that. Technically, your application is not even complete (and therefore not review-able) until they have an LSAT score. In fact, even if you do have an LSAT score, it will be placed on hold if you are taking it again.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nova1017

New

Post by nova1017 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:20 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
nova1017 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
nova1017 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:

I still don't think most/many schools even review a file that doesn't have an LSAT score on file. However, and this is totally serendipitous -- I got a marketing e-mail from WUSTL earlier today about an online chat that's happening right now, actually (3pm Central Time): "Should you apply to law school without an LSAT score?" haha. It's being hosted by one of their admissions officers. Here's the link: https://wustl.adobeconnect.com/admissions
I got that email too! That's actually what made me reconsider applying. However, I was in a meeting at work during the session so I missed it.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:19 pm

I submitted all of my apps before my LSAT last cycle (and then proceeded to bomb my actual LSAT, so lots of wasted money :( ). It's totally fine and you are able to, if you want to.

They will not review it though - it will be marked as incomplete until they receive your score

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”