Should I declare associate degree? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Redsfan320

New

Should I declare associate degree?

Post by Redsfan320 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:42 am

I've been made aware by my school that I have all the necessary credits to declare an associate's in the same major as my bachelor's (Criminal Justice). I guess some students declare it as soon as they get enough credits for it, so that it can help them get a job while they finish school. However, at this point, I'm not really seeing any reason it would help me. I also haven't submitted any apps yet, but am getting close, and if I declare this I'm gonna need to request transcripts again, which is gonna be a delay right? Or I guess I could go ahead and submit apps, and then in a couple weeks whenever the transcripts went through, I would need to send twenty emails updating my app info. IDK. On the one hand, a little extra paperwork seems like a bad reason to pass up on two more letters after my name (even "A.S."). On the other, I have trouble seeing any benefit at all to doing it, and the paperwork timing is rather inconvenient. Thoughts?

mjb447

Silver

Re: Should I declare associate degree?

Post by mjb447 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:48 am

I don't think it will benefit you. It's not really going to help you get into law school, particularly if it's the same coursework that you're doing in support of your bachelor's, and after law school your J.D. is what matters.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:24 am

If you are putting any letters after your name that aren't "MD" or "PhD", please burn all your resumes and never work again.

And the prior post is correct: there is absolutely no benefit to that.

tk421991

Bronze

Post by tk421991 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:14 am

I have an associate's degree from my time at community college and I have never used "A.S." after my name. I have no problems getting work and I simply list my major, GPA and "graduated with highest honors" under the CC's name and the dates I spent there.

The colleges I've been to will charge you for getting a degree. My associate's degree cost $40 - $20 as a fee to the college and I think the other $20 was a tax levied by the state or a fee to the state. They probably just want your money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”