To apply before the December LSAT or not? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpadoreo

New

To apply before the December LSAT or not?

Post by kpadoreo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 am

Hey all,

I am taking the LSAT in December and wondering whether I should send in my applications before this (with no LSAT score), or wait until early January and then click send as soon as I get the scores in. Obviously it makes financial sense to wait, since a lower/higher LSAT score than expected could adjust where I apply, however I'm more concerned with making sure my chances aren't reduced because of rolling admissions/a late application.
Would it make sense to just apply to my reach schools before the LSAT scores come back? Or will schools consider my application as submitted only once the scores for December are up?

Thanks!

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: To apply before the December LSAT or not?

Post by Deardevil » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:06 am

If you're confident you'll hit your target score on game day, apply by November.
That way, your application is in; it's not complete until your score is out, but it will be reviewed earlier,
as opposed to submitting the application as a whole after taking the exam (it will be Christmas, after all).

kpadoreo

New

Post by kpadoreo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:40 am

Thanks! I didn't realize schools look at applications before they're complete. But does that mean they might dismiss it before my LSAT score comes in? I ask this because my score will probably be a highlight of my application and don't want to be looked over before that is received.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:01 am

kpadoreo wrote:Thanks! I didn't realize schools look at applications before they're complete. But does that mean they might dismiss it before my LSAT score comes in? I ask this because my score will probably be a highlight of my application and don't want to be looked over before that is received.
Your app will remain incomplete until your LSAT score is released. then your app will go to complete and be reviewed.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:33 am

Schools [usually] do not review applications if they are not complete. I would just wait and apply when everything is ready to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a_j_l

New

Post by a_j_l » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:56 am

For what it's worth, this is what they said when I asked a similar question in the Spivey thread:
Hi there. Yes, still fine to take the December LSAT; I would just advise completing and submitting your applications before December 1 but letting the schools know that you are taking the December test and asking that they wait for your new score before reviewing. At least that way everything else in your application will be submitted, and the school can then complete it and begin the review process as soon as the new score is available. If you wait to submit your applications until later in December, as the holiday break nears, or after you receive your LSAT score, it delays the completion/review process further. Schools still award scholarships to applicants that apply in December. Bottom line is: Yes, of course the best case scenario is always to have your best application (with best possible LSAT score) submitted earlier, but if taking the December LSAT results in a higher score that will make you more competitive at your target schools, that will outweigh the advantage of an earlier application. Good luck!
It was about a retake in December, but I imagine everything about timing and submitting applications in advance of December 1st probably holds true...

kpadoreo

New

Post by kpadoreo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:49 am

Thanks for the answers. I also came across this interview that says applying early, even before your LSAT score is in, is best: http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”