Non punitive withdrawal impact on potential acceptances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CoolHouse

New

Non punitive withdrawal impact on potential acceptances?

Post by CoolHouse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:12 pm

Currently I have two transcripts from two different universities. The first transcript is from a university that I left after first year with a full course load of non punitive withdrawals (8 courses). The second transcript is a full four year undergrad degree. Assuming that I have the LSAT and GPA to get into the T14, would having all those punitive withdrawals on record impact me negatively in the application process? Thanks!

caitlinrw

Bronze

Re: Non punitive withdrawal impact on potential acceptances?

Post by caitlinrw » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:18 pm

(see below)
Last edited by caitlinrw on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:18 pm

CoolHouse wrote:Currently I have two transcripts from two different universities. The first transcript is from a university that I left after first year with a full course load of non punitive withdrawals (8 courses). The second transcript is a full four year undergrad degree. Assuming that I have the LSAT and GPA to get into the T14, would having all those punitive withdrawals on record impact me negatively in the application process? Thanks!
I think the rule is that if the withdrawals were non-punitive, then they don't count against you, and won't be included in your LSDAS GPA. I withdrew from 4 credit hours, for example, and it was non-punitive, and therefore, it was on my college transcript that I withdrew, but it didn't get calculated into my LSDAS GPA. So essentially, if you simply withdrew, you did it correctly, and they don't count as Fs on your transcript, then you should be fine. Hope this helps a bit!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Although the withdrawals won't affect your LSAC GPA, you definitely want to write an addendum explaining them. 8 is a lot, and it will raise eyebrows when someone's reviewing your transcripts.

CoolHouse

New

Post by CoolHouse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:11 pm

caitlinrw wrote:
CoolHouse wrote:Currently I have two transcripts from two different universities. The first transcript is from a university that I left after first year with a full course load of non punitive withdrawals (8 courses). The second transcript is a full four year undergrad degree. Assuming that I have the LSAT and GPA to get into the T14, would having all those punitive withdrawals on record impact me negatively in the application process? Thanks!
I think the rule is that if the withdrawals were non-punitive, then they don't count against you, and won't be included in your LSDAS GPA. I withdrew from 4 credit hours, for example, and it was non-punitive, and therefore, it was on my college transcript that I withdrew, but it didn't get calculated into my LSDAS GPA. So essentially, if you simply withdrew, you did it correctly, and they don't count as Fs on your transcript, then you should be fine. Hope this helps a bit!
Did you write an addendum? Or were you accepted without one?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:19 am

I had 11 (I think) and cycle played out as good/better than I expected.

CoolHouse

New

Post by CoolHouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:05 am

LandMermaid wrote:
Did you write an addendum or did you just submit your transcript without one?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:27 am

I had at least 9 and no addenda

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:23 pm

Clearly wrote:I had at least 9 and no addenda
All at once, though? That's the part that stuck out to me right away. If there's an entire extra year of withdrawals from a totally separate institution, I feel like an explanation might be in order.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Clearly wrote:I had at least 9 and no addenda
All at once, though? That's the part that stuck out to me right away. If there's an entire extra year of withdrawals from a totally separate institution, I feel like an explanation might be in order.
Both! Whole semesters withdrawn and additional ones too

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:44 pm

CoolHouse wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:
Did you write an addendum or did you just submit your transcript without one?
I had a medical reason for a chunk of them so wrote an addendum for those. At the bottom I tacked on a sentence saying something along the lines of "the remainder of the withdrawals were due to the flexibility I had in my schedule as I entered school with a number of credits already completed"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”