Declining to Interview at Northwestern? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PDX4343

Silver

Declining to Interview at Northwestern?

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:54 pm

How much of a negative impact could deciding not to interview with Northwestern have on my chances of being accepted? I'm not able to interview on-campus, and none of the off-campus interview options are close enough for me to get to, since I don't have a car or a license. I also currently only have the technology to take the online video interview using my cell-phone, which has a pretty poor video quality, so I worry that it would come across poorly. Would I tank my chances of getting accepted by opting not to interview? I'm a splitter, but have pretty interesting work experience. Thanks!

smile0751

Bronze

Re: Declining to Interview at Northwestern?

Post by smile0751 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Yes. It would seem weird to not have access to even Internet. You can just go to the library. If you are still near your undergrad school, they often have skype interview rooms solely for that purpose.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Good idea, I'll check out what my school has to offer. I didn't think about that.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:29 pm

PDX4343 wrote:How much of a negative impact could deciding not to interview with Northwestern have on my chances of being accepted? I'm not able to interview on-campus, and none of the off-campus interview options are close enough for me to get to, since I don't have a car or a license. I also currently only have the technology to take the online video interview using my cell-phone, which has a pretty poor video quality, so I worry that it would come across poorly. Would I tank my chances of getting accepted by opting not to interview? I'm a splitter, but have pretty interesting work experience. Thanks!
If your in a more rural area of Central Asia, or maybe in a "conflict zone" in Africa, then you can probably write an addendum explaining your situation. Outside of that though, I can't imagine having more than a 24-36 hour travel time to an alumni interview. Even if your stuck in like, Siberia or somewhere equally "remote but developed" you should be able to work something out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:56 pm

HYPSM wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:How much of a negative impact could deciding not to interview with Northwestern have on my chances of being accepted? I'm not able to interview on-campus, and none of the off-campus interview options are close enough for me to get to, since I don't have a car or a license. I also currently only have the technology to take the online video interview using my cell-phone, which has a pretty poor video quality, so I worry that it would come across poorly. Would I tank my chances of getting accepted by opting not to interview? I'm a splitter, but have pretty interesting work experience. Thanks!
Seems like a fairly great way to get yourself rejected.

Not sure how you think "my wifi is bad" or "I cannot for the life of me get my hands on any computer" is actually a valid excuse.
My question isn't whether my issues with completing an interview are "valid excuses", I'm wondering if I'll be automatically rejected if I don't interview. I've already heard from a few students via PM who didn't interview and not only got accepted but also received scholarships to NU. I'm sure the chances of that are worse, but anecdotally at least, it doesn't seem to be a death sentence. Thanks for your opinion though.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Not interviewing doesn't result in a rejection. A bad interview doesn't even result in a rejection.

If you can make an interview work out, do it. If you can't, don't worry. It will not be the deciding factor on your application.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Not interviewing doesn't result in a rejection. A bad interview doesn't even result in a rejection.

If you can make an interview work out, do it. If you can't, don't worry. It will not be the deciding factor on your application.
Thanks for your insight man. Appreciate it.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 pm

If you don't want to interview, just wait till December or January to apply, when there will be no more spots. Worked fine for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Wipfelder wrote:If your in a more rural area of Central Asia, or maybe in a "conflict zone" in Africa, then you can probably write an addendum explaining your situation. Outside of that though, I can't imagine having more than a 24-36 hour travel time to an alumni interview. Even if your stuck in like, Siberia or somewhere equally "remote but developed" you should be able to work something out.
wut
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:15 pm

Not saying I'd advise it, but I was accepted after declining the interview, super splitter too.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:28 am

I do realize that a few pieces of anecdotal evidence don't make a conclusion, which is why I said as much in my original response. I also realized what your intention was with your original post -- you don't think my reasons are valid. My point in responding was just to clarify what I was looking for and what I wasn't, which apparently needs repeating. I wanted to know how screwed I would be if I didn't interview. I appreciate your care to my situation, but I think the question has been answered as well as is feasible now.

Thanks to all for your help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:If your in a more rural area of Central Asia, or maybe in a "conflict zone" in Africa, then you can probably write an addendum explaining your situation. Outside of that though, I can't imagine having more than a 24-36 hour travel time to an alumni interview. Even if your stuck in like, Siberia or somewhere equally "remote but developed" you should be able to work something out.
wut
I was just being dry and passive aggressive,

Lee1962

New

Post by Lee1962 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Was the invitation to interview before or after you submitted your application? Sorry if this is dumb, but i'm new here and am not sure how these things work.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Lee1962 wrote:Was the invitation to interview before or after you submitted your application? Sorry if this is dumb, but i'm new here and am not sure how these things work.
Northwestern doesn't do invitations after they review an app. They offer an interview (for those who can), and if you want to do it, you sign up for it.

Lee1962

New

Post by Lee1962 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:28 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Lee1962 wrote:Was the invitation to interview before or after you submitted your application? Sorry if this is dumb, but i'm new here and am not sure how these things work.
Northwestern doesn't do invitations after they review an app. They offer an interview (for those who can), and if you want to do it, you sign up for it.
Right, but when do they send out the invitations? I have an LSAC account (taking the September test) but no score yet. Currently scoring around a 155. Northwestern would be amazing! I have a pretty good GPA (~3.3) and a super unique soft.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Lee1962 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Right, but when do they send out the invitations? I have an LSAC account (taking the September test) but no score yet. Currently scoring around a 155. Northwestern would be amazing! I have a pretty good GPA (~3.3) and a super unique soft.
They don't send out invitations. There is no invitation. No one will ever invite you to interview at Northwestern.

If you want to interview (and most people do), you sign up on their site. They usually send out an e-mail to applicants, but they also link to it directly from the application.

However, you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think that an LSAT in the 150s and a 3.3 are going to get you in the door at Northwestern. Have you done any research on schools' LSAT/GPA medians? I'd recommend making your own thread in the "What are my chances?" forum to get some more specific feedback, but you desperately need a reality check based on the narrative you just put forward.

Lee1962

New

Post by Lee1962 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Lee1962 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
They don't send out invitations. There is no invitation. No one will ever invite you to interview at Northwestern.

If you want to interview (and most people do), you sign up on their site. They usually send out an e-mail to applicants, but they also link to it directly from the application.

However, you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think that an LSAT in the 150s and a 3.3 are going to get you in the door at Northwestern. Have you done any research on schools' LSAT/GPA medians? I'd recommend making your own thread in the "What are my chances?" forum to get some more specific feedback, but you desperately need a reality check based on the narrative you just put forward.
Really? I've been told that I would be a shoe-in at these schools with at least a 157 because of how unique my experience is. I don't want to make my own thread yet because I haven't yet taken the LSAT. I've been prepping with Kaplan and KNOW I can hit that 157!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Lee1962 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Lee1962 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Really? I've been told that I would be a shoe-in at these schools with at least a 157 because of how unique my experience is. I don't want to make my own thread yet because I haven't yet taken the LSAT. I've been prepping with Kaplan and KNOW I can hit that 157!
Please make a thread in the other forum. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I assure you that unless you are a member of the Pritzker family, a 157 does not get you into Northwestern. Not by a long shot.

Lee1962

New

Post by Lee1962 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Lee1962 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Lee1962 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Please make a thread in the other forum. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I assure you that unless you are a member of the Pritzker family, a 157 does not get you into Northwestern. Not by a long shot.
Who is the Pritzcker family?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Lol thanks for the entertainment guys.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Yeah, sorry about that. Thought it was going to be a one-answer sort of post. But I suppose I shouldn't be terribly surprised that this guy hasn't figured out that "post about this elsewhere" means to post about it elsewhere...

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. Thought it was going to be a one-answer sort of post. But I suppose I shouldn't be terribly surprised that this guy hasn't figured out that "post about this elsewhere" means to post about it elsewhere...
Haha no worries man, not your fault. It was genuinely fun to read.

Lee1962

New

Post by Lee1962 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:48 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. Thought it was going to be a one-answer sort of post. But I suppose I shouldn't be terribly surprised that this guy hasn't figured out that "post about this elsewhere" means to post about it elsewhere...
Haha no worries man, not your fault. It was genuinely fun to read.
I am sorry but are you talking about me? I am new here and am not sure what the rules are for posting. My sincerest apologies.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”