Should I ask for this LOR? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jlaney

New

Should I ask for this LOR?

Post by Jlaney » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 am

I've completed a summer internship at an environmental nonprofit legal org, and I'm wondering if I should get a LOR from someone there (I already have my 2 college LORs). The problem is, I didn't work too closely with any individual attorney. I made a positive impression on everyone there, but none of them got to know me too well - except the legal assistants.

The attorney that I worked with most was part-time, and would probably write a good letter, but not a great one. Should I ask him anyway? Or should I not bother with a LOR.

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: Should I ask for this LOR?

Post by Deardevil » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Probably not. You have enough LORs; there's no need to overextend.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Jlaney wrote:I've completed a summer internship at an environmental nonprofit legal org, and I'm wondering if I should get a LOR from someone there (I already have my 2 college LORs). The problem is, I didn't work too closely with any individual attorney. I made a positive impression on everyone there, but none of them got to know me too well - except the legal assistants.

The attorney that I worked with most was part-time, and would probably write a good letter, but not a great one. Should I ask him anyway? Or should I not bother with a LOR.
IF it would be a strong LOR, maybe you want to get it and hold onto it in-case if you are waitlisted. If WL'd, you can submit it as an additional letter to help position you higher on the WL "rank". Worst case scenario, you ask for this LOR and never use it - no harm done. I don't see the disadvantage in at least asking.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 am

Jlaney wrote:I've completed a summer internship at an environmental nonprofit legal org, and I'm wondering if I should get a LOR from someone there (I already have my 2 college LORs). The problem is, I didn't work too closely with any individual attorney. I made a positive impression on everyone there, but none of them got to know me too well - except the legal assistants.

It's not necessary unless you're applying to a school that prefers more than 2 LORs. Academic LORs are much preferred to professional ones, except maybe in the case of someone who's worked for a specific employer for a long time, and been out of school for a while. If there isn't someone who knew you particularly well, then the letter probably won't be well-written enough to turn any heads. Still, there's no harm in asking if you want to have more options. Either way, I think you'll be fine.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:50 pm

2 LORs is good enough. I'd say get another LOR if you're applying for scholarships that require a third LOR. Also, if the school prefers more than 2 LORs, then go for it. Other than that, there's really no need for a third one that probably won't be too strong based on the fact that you said you didn't really get too close with anyone you work around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”