How can multiple retakes affect admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PrometheanArt

New

How can multiple retakes affect admission?

Post by PrometheanArt » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:57 pm

I've read that some schools average scores which is why I remember my law school counselor saying to not intend to take more than one LSAT test. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of TLS posters say to retake the LSAT at all instances. Does anyone have anecdotes about how multiple retakes affected their admission to different universities? I also saw http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html which seems like some schools would penalize students if their LSAT score got lower after the first attempt

cavalier1138

Re: How can multiple retakes affect admission?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Pretty much every school outright says that they only consider your highest LSAT score, and the ones that say they average them out are probably not being entirely truthful. All that matters from their perspective is having the nice high number to show USNWR for when the rankings come out.

There are very few situations in which retaking the LSAT is not a good idea.

bmathers

Silver

Re: How can multiple retakes affect admission?

Post by bmathers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Nope. I was talking to an adcom at a T1 law school and asked if it would be looked poorly at if I retook the LSAT and bombed it. She told me "no, we only look at the highest since we only need to report the highest to the ABA." Multiple takes is not a big deal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”