Forbes: Ten Things I couldn't care Less about when Hiring Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bmathers

Silver

Forbes: Ten Things I couldn't care Less about when Hiring

Post by bmathers » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:09 pm

(I'm not sure what forum to put this in).

Some of these points are precisely what I have found to be true over the past 7 years in "the real world" and in charge of conducting interviews (post-academia bubble).

What are your thoughts?

Two points that really stood out to me and are 100% true (it may rip the heart out of people in school and obsessing over GPA):

1. Impressive educational credentials
5. GPAs and other forms of externally-conferred recognition

http://www3.forbes.com/leadership/ten-t ... =referrall

cavalier1138

Re: Forbes: Ten Things I couldn't care Less about when Hiring

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:13 pm

bmathers wrote:(I'm not sure what forum to put this in).

Some of these points are precisely what I have found to be true over the past 7 years in "the real world" and in charge of conducting interviews (post-academia bubble).

What are your thoughts?

Two points that really stood out to me and are 100% true (it may rip the heart out of people in school and obsessing over GPA):

1. Impressive educational credentials
5. GPAs and other forms of externally-conferred recognition

http://www3.forbes.com/leadership/ten-t ... =referrall
I think it has very little to do with legal hiring, since we know that most high-level firms and agencies care deeply about which school you went to and how well you placed in your class.

Edit: Also, this is Forbes clickbait, written to reflect one person's assessment of how they hire, which is most likely informed by how they want other people to perceive them, not how they actually conduct their business.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Yeah, unfortunately we know there are a lot of legal employers who *do* care about GPA and school pedigree, even after people have some experience. There are plenty who don't, especially as you get further out from school, but it's not as simple as "no one cares about these things." And there are definitely employers who care about age, employment gaps, and the work you've done previously.

Doesn't help that 1) we don't know anything about the author or what industry she's in or what level she's hiring at, and 2) it's a list with no discussion of each one at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”